Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Galapagos Islands
mrjoe
post Jun 11 2006, 02:06 PM
Post #1

Wayfarer

Group: Members
Member No.: 637
Nominate me as a Local Expert

I'm hoping to visit the Galapagos islands in about a month - if i can afford it. I've talked to lots of people and no one seems to agree on how much it costs. Answers seems to range from 600 to 3000 dollars.
Anyone got an idea how much it is for a week there?
Also, do I just turn up in Quito and search for a deal or do I need to book?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
lucky
post Jun 11 2006, 05:26 PM
Post #2

HitchHiker

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

MrJoe, It sounds like we are on the same path. We are in Mancora today and will be going to the Galapagos in 30 days.

We booked ours about 2 months back to make sure we had a spot.

It wasnt cheap either, aprox 2k each! It seems that itīs tough to go on the cheap in high season for 8 days.

We hear that you can just show up and try your luck with the agencies but you may not find something which you like. If you have the time to wait it out, that would be your cheapest option though.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mrjoe
post Jun 11 2006, 05:48 PM
Post #3

Wayfarer

Member No.: 637

Thanks.

It sounds a bit pricey but I'm prepared to wait for a cheaper deal.
Perhaps I'll run into you on my way up there. thumbsup.png

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
john
post Jun 11 2006, 09:00 PM
Post #4

Unregistered

i was just there in Jan. Galapagos if you go through a travel agency is very expensive, my suggestion would be to book it all when you are there. There are boats leaving all the time and these things are never booked, even durig high season. I paid about $100/day for a tourist class boat but if i were to do it again i'd go to something a little better, so then it would be about $200/day. if you have any questions you can email me at johnny9467@yahoo.com.

QUOTE(mrjoe @ Jun 11 2006, 02:06 PM) *

I'm hoping to visit the Galapagos islands in about a month - if i can afford it. I've talked to lots of people and no one seems to agree on how much it costs. Answers seems to range from 600 to 3000 dollars.
Anyone got an idea how much it is for a week there?
Also, do I just turn up in Quito and search for a deal or do I need to book?
+Quote Post
andrea
post Jun 12 2006, 03:18 PM
Post #5

Globetrotter

Member No.: 2

We are paying 2k for 8 days on a superior tourist boat (right in the middle of the ranking). I searched a lot when we were booking and to be honest, I didnīt find much too much cheaper. I would say $1500 was the cheapest for an 8 day. You can find cheaper cruises if you only want to go for three days, but from what I hear it is not really worth it!

Good luck!

Andrea
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
joanna_2006
post Aug 25 2006, 09:08 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 12829

QUOTE(andrea @ Jun 12 2006, 03:18 PM) *

We are paying 2k for 8 days on a superior tourist boat (right in the middle of the ranking). I searched a lot when we were booking and to be honest, I didnīt find much too much cheaper. I would say $1500 was the cheapest for an 8 day. You can find cheaper cruises if you only want to go for three days, but from what I hear it is not really worth it!

Good luck!

Andrea

Hi
I'm planning to go to Galapagos in Mar 07, but when I'm searching for tours, they seem to get booked so quickly. Since I cannot have time to wait for cheap deal (as I have limited time), I guess I have to book in advance. So, about USD2K for 8 days should be a fair price, right?

One thing worried me a lot, is about motion sickness. Is the sea very rough in Galapagos?? Anyone can share their experience?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
joanna_2006
post Aug 25 2006, 07:31 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 12829

Kay, thanks a lot for your detailed advice. I only have a limited time to spend in Ecuador and I'm too nervous about not being able to get a booking while I'm actually there, as I also heard some stories that people cannot get a tour and eventually have to give up.
I have to fly 30+ hours all the way from HK, so, I think I may still decide to book in advance just to secure my trip! huh.gif
The price I get now includs the return flight from Quito to the island, + 2 nights in a 3* hotel before and after the trip, and the price is 2.1k. So, I think it may not be too far off. That is a tourist superior class yacht (but I really have no idea what these "classes" really mean).
I saw some recommendations on the La Sagitta as well, so I have looked at their website, the listed price goes up to 2.7K now, but maybe its the ship that differs, it looks like that Sagitta is a bit biger and nicer.

As for snorkelling gears, can I rent it or do I have to bring my own? I really hesitate to bring them all the way from home.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
troispistoles
post May 5 2008, 04:44 PM
Post #8

Nomad

Member No.: 5385

I'll be in Quito at the end of May! So should I book my trip to the Galapagos now or what? smile.gif

I am there only 18 days total... so my time is short!!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ericthered
post Aug 29 2008, 12:03 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 163074

QUOTE(troispistoles @ May 5 2008, 04:44 PM) *

I'll be in Quito at the end of May! So should I book my trip to the Galapagos now or what? smile.gif

I am there only 18 days total... so my time is short!!

You can go to Quito and take a chance at finding a good deal with a tour company. You can also find deals online from home. Check the tour operators Specials pages for deals. I went with Quasar Expeditions luxury tours to the Galapagos Islands earlier this year and booked in advance so I could be sure to get all the amenities I wanted. It was more expensive for the small boat experience, but man was it worth it.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
andrea
post Sep 8 2008, 04:03 PM
Post #10

Globetrotter

Member No.: 2

Price varies depending on your boat... We booked in advance and went aboard the "Angelique" - a middle of the road boat that I would recommend.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
troispistoles
post Oct 2 2008, 09:58 AM
Post #11

Nomad

I was on the Merak too... extremely small!!! My roomie and I brought our big bags, big mistake, we didn't have much space in the room. (bunk beds by the way).

The food was really good though.

The only problem was our guide, but I think they rotate. His name was Cesar, he was a little bit too old for the job, and couldn't speak really good English.

So if you don't have super high standards, I would recommend it anyway. But like I said: REALLY SMALL!

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
troispistoles
post Oct 2 2008, 10:01 AM
Post #12

Nomad

Oh yeah, I got really sick the day before I jumped on the boat! So sometimes I really hated the fact it was so small...

So for 4-5 days, I was sick, didn't eat a lot and everything... that was really bad!

But still the place was so nice, I don't regret it at all...
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jeremystravels
post Feb 5 2009, 07:21 PM
Post #13

Commuter

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 217489

Has anyone tried doing the Galapagos on their own? It seems like there are daily boats between the big three islands and hostels are very, very cheap. The rest of the expenses would be day trips out to other islands or scuba costs, etc. I am curious how this would compare to a fully laid out boat tour.

--------------------
Local Expert for Ohio, USA
Next Countries: May 2010: Banff National Park - Canada
Planning RTW in 2010-2011 for Asia and South America - coverage here
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ericthered
post Jun 6 2009, 07:57 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 163074

At the very least, you must stop in Ecuador and spend some time there before continue on to the Galapagos. I booked my Galapagos travel ahead of time, but still made sure to see Quito on the way there. In Old Town, see the Plaza Grande. Just be very mindful about your safety and that of your wallet.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
michaeladamray
post Jun 3 2010, 01:02 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 1048461

Hi, Michael here. It is definitely possible to do the Galapagos on your own, but there are several factors to consider. I went to Galapagos last summer with my wife and 2 kids, and we came across several tourists who were traveling alone. I would recommend contacting an agency that specializes in travel to the Galapagos. I booked through Wildlife Vacations 1-877-385-1433. Those guys have over 40 years experience exclusively in the Galapagos and Mainland Ecuador. I hope this helps, and please do follow up and let me know what you decide to do.

Michael
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
proinnsias
post Jul 9 2010, 06:24 PM
Post #16

Wanderer

Member No.: 589461

Galapagos flights from quito are always 417dollars your can book the day before if you like, i think they are a little cheaper from guayaquil, flights stop there on the way.
Island hopping tours are better money goes back to the islands rather than big tour agencies. A 5 day tour cost us 450$, included food and accomodation, swimming with sharks meeting george and the lot. Visited four of the islands and snorkled a few times daily saw loads check out photos on my blog if you like.
Island weflew to was San cristobal, local agency there run by a local young man Manolo name of agency is Sharksky they are brilliant.
Originally had intended staying a week on the islands, but because it was a lot cheaper than we had been led to believe we stayed an extra week. Missing your booked flight will cost you an extra 20$!!
Accommodation on the islands is from 8$ a night depending on your standards, and meals about 10$ or less again depending on you of course there are more expensive places.
Sharksky will organise a tour to your needs tell them your budget if you like and see how far your money goes. Dont recommend a cruise i think you see and experience more staying on the islands.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 03:43 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Ecuador

Ambato Hotels
Archidona Hotels
Bahia de Caraquez Hotels
Banos Hotels
Canoa Hotels
Cayambe Hotels
Chugchilan Hotels
Coca Hotels
Cotundo Hotels
Cuenca Hotels
Cuyabeno Hotels
Esmeraldas Hotels
Galera Hotels
Gualaquiza Hotels
Guayaquil Hotels
Huaquillas Hotels
Ibarra Hotels
Ingapirca Hotels
Las Tunas Hotels
Loja Hotels
Machachi Hotels
Machala Hotels
Manta Hotels
Mindo Hotels
Montanita Hotels
Muisne Hotels
Otavalo Hotels
Papallacta Hotels
Pedro Vicente Maldonado Hotels
Puerto Ayora Hotels
Puerto Baquerizo Moreno Hotels
Puerto Lopez Hotels
Puyo Hotels
Quito Hotels
Riobamba Hotels
Salinas Hotels
Sangolqui Hotels
Sumaco Hotels
Tena Hotels
Vilcabamba Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.