Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Iraq, Will It Ever Be Safe
uncle_davros
post Jun 11 2006, 01:53 AM
Post #1

Planet Pioneer

Group: Members
Member No.: 226
Nominate me as a Local Expert

I have a friend that has been to Iraq 6 times as he works for the media and he says that the country is really beautiful, especially the outer countryside.

So, do you think it will ever be safe to travel around in ???

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
peacefrog
post Jun 11 2006, 05:48 AM
Post #2

Pathfinder

Member No.: 581

Another country that was not safe for travelling was Algeria. It had been in civil war (even though they called that islamic terrorism) for the past decade, and came to a relative peace last november.
From what I have seen, and from what the many french people who once lived there (including my parents) told me, it is truly a fantastic country to visit, especially for the landscapes.

Last year it was nearly impossible to go around the country. In february I was driving around with a young algerian colleague, without any problem.

The change came quickly, but after the main part of the population was so fed up with the killings that they accepted by referendum to grant immunity to the terrorists in exchange for peace. Let me note that a "terrorist" could be anyone, going to the countryside to dress up in black, and coming back to cut his neigbourg's throat (short version, I don't pretend to be exhaustive).

So, no predictions from me, but I just say: watch out for the time, when the people have just earned their peace, as it is definitely a good time to be in a country.

Also let's hope that they don't lay land mines everywhere

--------------------
A day back around the world

« Sans curiosité on meurt et sans courage on ne vit pas. »
[ Hugo Pratt ]
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
uncle_davros
post Jun 11 2006, 05:58 AM
Post #3

Planet Pioneer

I met a man in Nepal who worked in Algeria in the 60's. He also said that Libya was a fantastic country as well.

Are there any Roman ruins there and do they still speak French there ?

Hopefully, Iraq will get sorted in the future

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
peacefrog
post Jun 11 2006, 06:59 AM
Post #4

Pathfinder

Member No.: 581

There are roman remains, and I saw also in Oran some buildings from the spanish era (don't know exactly when that was, though).

French was not taught at school for the past 30 years. You can find "old" (over 50) people more litterate than most frenchies, but otherwise the education is quite poor. Their spoken arab is a dialect that did not look too elaborate to me

During the hard muslim era, they also took out most of the vineyards. Now they are starting to produce wine again. It is good, but quality is very unreliable. Keep trying if you go there!

--------------------
A day back around the world

« Sans curiosité on meurt et sans courage on ne vit pas. »
[ Hugo Pratt ]
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
uncle_davros
post Jun 15 2006, 08:52 AM
Post #5

Planet Pioneer

Thanks for the input

It would be good to go, but I will go to Libya first

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
whereshegoes
post Jun 17 2006, 12:34 AM
Post #6

Journeyer

Member No.: 5

Your friend who has been there 6 times seems to find the risk worthwhile...

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
uncle_davros
post Jun 17 2006, 08:17 AM
Post #7

Planet Pioneer

My friend works for CBN, hence the six times. But, the other day, part of the crew he works with, were killed. As his wife is now pregnant, he is hesitant to go back

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
aopaq
post Mar 14 2007, 07:41 AM
Post #8

Tripper

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 893

QUOTE(uncle_davros @ Jun 17 2006, 08:17 AM) *

My friend works for CBN, hence the six times. But, the other day, part of the crew he works with, were killed. As his wife is now pregnant, he is hesitant to go back

I just recently returned from a visit to Kurdistan Iraq and had the most wonderful experience. The Kurdish people are unbelievably friendly arnd hospitable. The tourism infrastructure is obviously not developed and the costs are generally higher than places like Syria or Turkey but it is still possible to travel fairly cheaply.

From a scenery and cultural perspective, there is plenty to see and learn about. I will definitely return and highly recommend a visit to this part of the world.

In terms of safety, the Kurds control the northern region and as long as you avoid Mosel and Kirkuk, you shold have no problems other than the inconvenience of numerous checkpoint stops.

Kurdistan Iraq is the first place I have ever been where I took a taxi ride (albeit not very long) and the driver insisted I did not need to pay!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Mar 14 2007, 09:40 AM
Post #9

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

QUOTE(aopaq @ Mar 14 2007, 08:41 AM) *

QUOTE(uncle_davros @ Jun 17 2006, 08:17 AM) *

I just recently returned from a visit to Kurdistan Iraq and had the most wonderful experience. The Kurdish people are unbelievably friendly arnd hospitable. The tourism infrastructure is obviously not developed and the costs are generally higher than places like Syria or Turkey but it is still possible to travel fairly cheaply.

From a scenery and cultural perspective, there is plenty to see and learn about. I will definitely return and highly recommend a visit to this part of the world.

In terms of safety, the Kurds control the northern region and as long as you avoid Mosel and Kirkuk, you shold have no problems other than the inconvenience of numerous checkpoint stops.

Kurdistan Iraq is the first place I have ever been where I took a taxi ride (albeit not very long) and the driver insisted I did not need to pay!

Wow! I just took a quick boo at your travelogues, but am planning to settle in and do some reading later on. Your travels seem very fascinating. I'm not that surprised to hear that there are still a few safe places one can visit in Iraq . I just read an article about how the majority of Iraqi treasures have been destroyed or looted. The Museum of Fine Arts has suffered severe losses and they really don't have much hope in recovering much. The National Library is gone.

I would love to do a very similar route to yours. I admire your adventures very much. Can't wait to read more, and maybe I'll pick your brain a bit if that's okay...

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
whereshegoes
post Mar 14 2007, 03:53 PM
Post #10

Journeyer

Member No.: 5

Aopaq - Thank you so much for sharing. It is very important to hear from people like you who have first hand experience.

Many people have only what the media has portrayed and we all know how accurate that can be.

Again. Please continue your good work of reporting the truth.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
abeja_reina1989
post Mar 8 2010, 02:54 AM
Post #11

Wanderer

Member No.: 817551

I'm not sure if it will ever be safe. It's a really scary place. I mean, look at all that's going on. I wish I could say I would. I'm sure many, many people will never even think about going there.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kasemmuk
post Dec 20 2011, 06:27 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 2472063

QUOTE(abeja_reina1989 @ Mar 8 2010, 02:54 AM) *

I'm not sure if it will ever be safe. It's a really scary place. I mean, look at all that's going on. I wish I could say I would. I'm sure many, many people will never even think about going there.

I recognise that a year has gone by since you made that post, and only recently have the last of the American Troops started pulling out of Iraq. I would like to state however, that southern Iraq is reaching pre-wartime safety levels. (Northern Iraq / Kurdistan has been safe throughout the war).

Many business have recently started to invest in Baghdad and surrounding areas. Multi Million and Billion dollar deals have been negotiated to supply power stations to bring more electricity to Iraq and to improve the transport facilities with 800 Kilometres of new rail track. Within the next 5 years Iraq will be a booming economic area and as with all booming economies this in turn will attract Tourism.

Of course this may be felt a lot earlier, and if you are tempted to travel earlier many tour operators such as IKB Travel (http://www.youshouldtravel.com/Baghdad/BGW-sourcecity.aspx) will offer you cheap flights and/or set you up with tour guides. Iraq was a lovely place before the war and soon it will be so again.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ugandasafaries
post Mar 20 2012, 05:05 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 2741803

QUOTE(kasemmuk @ Dec 20 2011, 06:27 AM) *

QUOTE(abeja_reina1989 @ Mar 8 2010, 02:54 AM) *

I recognise that a year has gone by since you made that post, and only recently have the last of the American Troops started pulling out of Iraq. I would like to state however, that southern Iraq is reaching pre-wartime safety levels. (Northern Iraq / Kurdistan has been safe throughout the war).

Many business have recently started to invest in Baghdad and surrounding areas. Multi Million and Billion dollar deals have been negotiated to supply power stations to bring more electricity to Iraq and to improve the transport facilities with 800 Kilometres of new rail track. Within the next 5 years Iraq will be a booming economic area and as with all booming economies this in turn will attract Tourism.

Of course this may be felt a lot earlier, and if you are tempted to travel earlier many tour operators such as IKB Travel (http://www.youshouldtravel.com/Baghdad/BGW-sourcecity.aspx) will offer you cheap flights and/or set you up with tour guides. Iraq was a lovely place before the war and soon it will be so again.

Completely agree with you. the situation in the country is getting better every day. The democratic is doing every thing to get back to Iraq on its foot. The country business has grown the Import and the export has grown in a surprising way. So can not say that this country would never be back.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd September 2014 - 04:47 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Iraq

Baghdad Hotels
Dohuk Hotels
Irbil Hotels
Najaf Hotels
Sulaymaniyah Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.