Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Aqaba to Petra and onwards!
manzara
post Mar 3 2009, 11:38 AM
Post #1

Sightseer

Group: Local Expert
From: eşme, Western Turkey. One of Turkey's best-kept secrets
Member No.: 262135

We are spending five nights in Jordan next month on arriving at Aqaba. We plan to drive to Petra where we shall stay three nights. Is it a fairly easy and quite well signposted journey and how long should it take? Any hints?

After leaving Petra, we are heading up to the Dead Sea, in the Madaba area. Apparently, taking the Desert Highway will be much quicker, but what are the advantages of using the King's Highway - and the difference in journey times? We'd plan to spend the day on the journey and probably have brief stops en route.

Thanks for your help.

--------------------
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"
Lao-tzy, Chinese Philosopher (604 - 531 BC)
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Mar 3 2009, 02:42 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

How far is Aqaba from Wadi Rum?

I see this on Wikitravel:
http://wikitravel.org/en/Petra#Get_in
The minibus from Wadi Rum costs 3 Jordanian Dinars (JD) each. It takes 1.5 hours to get to Petra. Have the Rum Guesthouse or your tour operator call the bus owner the day before to arrange an exact time for pick up. The bus usually leaves from Wadi Rum at 8:30 in the morning, but may be delayed due to weather or tour groups coming the other way.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
_tz_
post Mar 5 2009, 03:21 AM
Post #3

Wanderer

Group: Members
Member No.: 224062
Nominate me as a Local Expert

QUOTE(manzara @ Mar 3 2009, 11:38 AM) *

We are spending five nights in Jordan next month on arriving at Aqaba. We plan to drive to Petra where we shall stay three nights. Is it a fairly easy and quite well signposted journey and how long should it take? Any hints?

After leaving Petra, we are heading up to the Dead Sea, in the Madaba area. Apparently, taking the Desert Highway will be much quicker, but what are the advantages of using the King's Highway - and the difference in journey times? We'd plan to spend the day on the journey and probably have brief stops en route.

Thanks for your help.

You drive means you have a car? Than no problem, you will find the way to Wadi Mousa/Petra, there are signs. You can make it in about 60-90 min. If you drive during the day, allow some more time to stop and enjoy the desert.
If you do not have a car, you can get a taxi or minibus from Aqaba, no problem.

Taking the King's Highway from here to Madaba will take you a little longer, but it is a drive with beautiful views and many sights to stop for on - or a couple of kilometers off - the road. Allow yourself at least half a day, so you can stop and explore without any pressure. IMHO, King's Highway goes through some of the most beautiful landscapes in Jordan.

You need more information or tips about the area here, ask! otherwise enjoy your trip.

Greetings from Petra,
Andy
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
manzara
post Mar 5 2009, 05:49 AM
Post #4

Sightseer

Many thanks for your replies.

Yes, we shall have a hire car Andy. It will give us much more flexibility.

I think the King's Highway is definitetly the way to head north. You've sold it to us!

Can't promise I won't get back to you before we leave in three weeks time!

Thanks again.

David

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
manzara
post Mar 6 2009, 04:00 AM
Post #5

Sightseer

I told you I'd be back!

Looking at the map, and considering we have now decided to stay for a night or two close to the northern shores of the Dead Sea I am wondering if the journey from Petra would be more interesting as follows:

The King's Highway north then taking Highway 50 through Al Karak to join the Dead Sea Highway for the remainder of the journey?

Is this a reasonable option now we are not heading for Madaba?

Thanks again.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
_tz_
post Mar 6 2009, 07:37 AM
Post #6

Wanderer

Member No.: 224062

QUOTE(manzara @ Mar 6 2009, 04:00 AM) *

I told you I'd be back!

Looking at the map, and considering we have now decided to stay for a night or two close to the northern shores of the Dead Sea I am wondering if the journey from Petra would be more interesting as follows:

The King's Highway north then taking Highway 50 through Al Karak to join the Dead Sea Highway for the remainder of the journey?

Is this a reasonable option now we are not heading for Madaba?

Thanks again.

You're welcome smile.gif

Well, it is a good option to cross to the Dead Sea HW at Kerak, it is a very nice road, especially in the evening when sun sets.
If you are not interested in Mt. Nebo or the mosaics at Madaba, the only reason to go there would be that hotels there are a lot cheaper than on the Dead Sea coast. If this is OK for you, skip Madaba and enjoy the Wadis and canyons along the Dead Sea HW!

Andy
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
manzara
post Mar 7 2009, 02:02 AM
Post #7

Sightseer

Hello again Andy,

That's what we'll do!

I'm really grateful for your help and advice. Looking forward to Sinai and Jordan in three week's time!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jafflen
post Nov 2 2011, 02:46 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 2363103

Petra is cool. Did the night tour (based on a recommendation) and enjoyed it. Great introduction to Petra. Probably wouldnt have enjoyed it as much if I did it after the day tour.

Petra is BIG. Lots of hiking. And as Ive realized, it seems Im always hiking up a mountain/hill/slope at the very high heat of the day. All the time now
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2014 - 12:42 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Jordan

Ajlun Hotels
Amman Hotels
Aqaba Hotels
Azraq Hotels
Dana Hotels
Dead Sea Region Hotels
Irbid Hotels
Jerash Hotels
Karak Hotels
Ma'in Hotels
Madaba Hotels
Shoubak Hotels
Sweimah Hotels
Tabaqat Fahl Hotels
Wadi Musa Hotels
Wadi Rum Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.