Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> From Colombia (Cartagena) to Ecuador, A ten day roadtrip... where to stop for half of the time? Car, bus, tr
fitobenitez
post Feb 14 2011, 04:22 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1723171
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hello Community smile.gif

I got ten days for Colombia in my one month trip and will be arriving by plane to Cartagena from Venezuela. For what I have read, I should at least spend 3 days there, but after that, I have no clue. My objective is to visit a friend in Ecuador so I have to go south and in some way cross the border.

Which takes me to my first big question, is it that dangerous to cross to border on te south to Ecuador??? For what I have read around, so it seems, but I wonder if there are safer places than others where to do it, or if I should really fly in from Cali or so. I am really down to earth traveler so comfortable to go on local transport of pretty much anykind. I talk spanish too, and have kind of a latin american accent since I am from canary islands, spain, and due to heavy migration to latin america till the 80's, my culture and language are very similar. Still, I dont want to get myself into trouble. Definitely not the plan of tis trip smile.gif

I also havent found anywhere how long (kms or hours) could the trip be from Cartagena to Ecuador, which I guess it would have to go though the main cities. Anyone knows??? I have calculated around 1200 - 1500 kms but might be totally wrong biggrin.gif If that is so, I guess 2 days max by bus would make it, meaning I would have another 4-5 to stop on the way down south to the border. I also really like driving but also havent heard if it is expensive to rent a car or dangerous to drive around, or pay-offs to local authorities for being a tourist :-) Feedback on this issue would be great too.

In this sense, I am looking for advice too on where to stop, worth seeing or doing, and I guess a bit exceptional, cause it seems Colombia is wonderful all over. I am open cause I will also have another ten days in Ecuador for whatever I havent done, so in this sense, I am open to beach (fiesta and diving) or mountain (skiing or canooing or mountain sports) or even city, although not so much this last one. Seeing something exceptional like a desert or so wouldnt be bad neither. So any comments on this would be greatly appreciated.

Wow, I am so excited about this trip. Colomba will be my second stop. I will be coming from a week adventure in the Canaima National Park to see the Angel Falls, highest waterfalls on earth. Can't wait for all this to start smile.gif

Thanks in advance. There seems to be lots of great people with great experiences here so can't wait to hear what you guys think smile.gif

Fito
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nixsboys
post Feb 15 2011, 03:45 PM
Post #2

Globetrotter

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 80958

Hi Fito

Welcome to the forums! It sounds like you have a good trip planned. Canaima National Park and Angel Falls is a great place to start.

Sorry I can't help with your trip South of Bogota as I had to change my flights as Popayan airport was closed. But with all boarder crossings best keep your stuff close to you and watch out for extra helpful people.

How far south are you wanting to travel in Ecuador?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
fitobenitez
post Feb 15 2011, 04:26 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 1723171
Nominate me as a Local Expert

QUOTE(nixsboys @ Feb 15 2011, 03:45 PM) *

Hi Fito

Welcome to the forums! It sounds like you have a good trip planned. Canaima National Park and Angel Falls is a great place to start.

Sorry I can't help with your trip South of Bogota as I had to change my flights as Popayan airport was closed. But with all boarder crossings best keep your stuff close to you and watch out for extra helpful people.

How far south are you wanting to travel in Ecuador?

Hi smile.gif

Definitely have to see Quito and actually the plan is to take my plane back to Europe from there, but got a good old friend in Guayaquil and want to visit there. Not too sure of the distances so thinking if I will spend too much time on the roads. Now I know that from Cartagena to Quito there are around 1300 kms. Unless there is something awesome to see after Manizales or Cali, maybe I should take a plane to Guayaquil, preferably and if not to Quito, and have some more time in Ecuador.

What do u think? I've seen that u have been in Ecuador too? What are the highlights for u?

Thnaks in advance :-)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
nixsboys
post Feb 22 2011, 03:54 PM
Post #4

Globetrotter

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 80958

Where do I start smile.png?

I spent most of my time in Cuenca where I lived with an Ecuadorian family while I learnt some spanish. It is a beautiful city with the old city having UNESCO World Heritage designation and great place if you want to see how Panama Hats are made.

I also enjoyed my short trip into the Amazon Jungle and of course the Galapagos.

If you have a friend in Guayaquil maybe it is best to fly there first and if time allows maybe travel up to Quito, stopping to explore along the way - it is however like most places in South America a long bus ride between places so don't forget to take your sleeping bag on board with you if travelling at night. I found the buses quite cold. Do you have 10 days in Ecuador?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 09:34 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Colombia

Armenia Hotels
Barranquilla Hotels
Boca Grande Hotels
Bogota Hotels
Bosa Hotels
Boyaca Hotels
Bucaramanga Hotels
Buenaventura Hotels
Cali Hotels
Capurgana Hotels
Cartagena Hotels
Chia Hotels
Cota Hotels
Covenas Hotels
Cucuta Hotels
Girardot Hotels
Ibague Hotels
Islas de Rosario Hotels
Leticia Hotels
Manizales Hotels
Medellin Hotels
Melgar Hotels
Mompos Hotels
Monteria Hotels
Nuqui Hotels
Paipa Hotels
Pereira Hotels
Popayan Hotels
Rioacha Hotels
Rionegro Hotels
San Agustin Hotels
Santa Fe de Antioquia Hotels
Santa Marta Hotels
Silvia Hotels
Sogamoso Hotels
Taganga Hotels
Tobia Hotels
Tunja Hotels
Villa de Leyva Hotels
Villavicencio Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.