Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lake Tekapo & Cromwell, Bunking Down
ScottWoz
post Jul 5 2006, 10:55 PM
Post #21

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 124

Oh definitely! You may as well give it a shot. It can't be more than a couple of hours out of your way (depending on how long you spend getting 'thermalled') and well worth it too (they had to pull me out! poke.gif )

You won't even need to plan for it. Make the call when your in the Kaikoura area, see how much time you've got. Great idea!

As it happens, the 24th will be my last night off so I will be free and up for a sup cool.png . It'll be good to revel in the enthusiasm!

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Guest_sorceress05_*
post Jul 6 2006, 04:19 AM
Post #22

Unregistered

brr.gif swimming in arctic (almost) waters..... what the hell, thats what adrenaline is for!!! As for the 24th - u name the place (and maybe a few directions from Brecon St - LOL) and we'll be there.

Oh hell, Gotta fly - will catch up soon! Thanks again & cheers

Lee
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Jul 7 2006, 09:34 PM
Post #23

Rolling Stone

Haha you're not wrong there brr.gif though aswell as a breath-taker and a system-shocker, it's also a life-changer and a soul-toucher. It was absolutely FREEZING when I did it but the adrenaline will soon warm you up!

No probs for the 24th and as for directions, Queenstown is surprisingly tiny. You can get from one side to the other in less than 10 mins... cool.png

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Guest_sorceress05_*
post Jul 24 2006, 11:00 PM
Post #24

Unregistered

Looking forward to it.... I can't believe it - this time in 4wks - we'll be there. Fingers crossed the plane leaves on time - theres been a few early morning flights from Melbourne lately that have been stranded due to fog & cold. If this happens we'll spend the first night in Christchurch (I hope not - don't want to frantics.gif on our first night).

Is ski season over yet or is it still buzzing with snow bunnies over there? Weather improving or still brr.gif ? keep an eye in your inbox.

chug'a'lug mate

Lee
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Jul 24 2006, 11:12 PM
Post #25

Rolling Stone

You should be alright, can't believe it's only 4 weeks!

Things have warmed up a bit over here (about 6-7 degrees this week) but the ski season's far from over. It's excellent at the moment after the huge dumping last week. I've been up in the mountains every day for the last four days and my legs are killing! Also went to Ohau on Saturday, pretty much in the heart of the Southern Alps (you'll pass there on your way down - very near Lake Pukaki, might be worth a quick visit) and it was awesome (look out for it on the travelogue shortly) - the views were spectacular and it was such a perfect clear day, oh and 70cm's of fresh snow to play around in!!! Times are good, you're definitely coming at the right time! hyper.gif

--------------------
Woz..

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Guest_sorceress05_*
post Jul 25 2006, 09:50 PM
Post #26

Unregistered

6-7 degrees is better than minus!!

3.5weeks - now.... what do I rea....lllly need to pack? LOL! sweat.gif
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Jul 25 2006, 11:38 PM
Post #27

Rolling Stone

Hmmm, yah...

Well, in the early hours of this morning, all seven degrees of it dropped in the space of an hour down to little over zero. Again. This is all fine of course until the wind blows.

Bring your thermals!!!

--------------------
Woz..

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Jul 30 2006, 10:08 PM
Post #28

Rolling Stone

Paradise is just what it says on the tin, sitting roughly between the Fiordland and Mount Aspiring National Parks. It's superb, and yes you can take a tour which starts in Glenorchy (but you can take it from Queenstown!) The tour includes a short trek, a whizz in a 4WD and a lengthy blast in a jet boat along the Dart River which sits alongside the towering Mt Earnslaw. All good, and well worth it. I did it in December.

Check it out - all the links you need are there, plus a bit of an insight too. Oh, and excuse the 'bum pictures' cool.png

--------------------
Woz..

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Jul 31 2006, 10:15 PM
Post #29

Rolling Stone

Yeah no problem at all. Check out the site and see which tour you want cos' I think one of them includes a bit of kayaking too.. unsure.gif

--------------------
Woz..

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Guest_sorceress05_*
post Aug 14 2006, 06:50 AM
Post #30

Unregistered

Hi Ya Scott - sorry it took so long to get back to you - lifes been full!! We've decided we'll definately do the dart river cruise (minus the kayak at this stage) but will wait till we're over there to get u to book for us (a day or two ahead) - I'll keep you posted.

hyper.gif Can't believe this time in a week we'll be in Mt. Cook.. all that planning hyper.gif Did I mention that I'm feeling a little hyper.gif ? Bags R packed (with 10kilo 2 spare!!!). I'll be in touch B4 we leave.

Cheers 'n' Beers mate

Lee
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Aug 14 2006, 07:18 AM
Post #31

Rolling Stone

Lee,

I'm feeling the excitement... hyper.gif Just got back from Mt Cook myself and have had one hell of a weekend! Look out for the pics (and Tekapo!)

BTW, you may want to give a couple of days more notice on the old Dart River Safari if you want anything booking (just incase!) unsure.gif

--------------------
Woz..

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Aug 19 2006, 09:42 PM
Post #32

Rolling Stone

Well, I guess you'll be in Christchurch or heading down to Akaroa by now. Let the fun begin... See you on the 24th! hyper.gif

--------------------
Woz..

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Guest_sorceress05_*
post Aug 23 2006, 04:12 AM
Post #33

Unregistered

Akoroa - delightful.. Mt Cook... I didn't want to leave (part of me is still there being snowed on I think)... So much is a blink/blur/waiting 2 B bought 2 life in a journal. Milford is... spectacular & we haven't done the cruise yet. ... Is it possible 2 fall in love with a place?

C U 2morrow night (How many jugs can we fit into 1 night?)

Cheers

Lee yes.gif
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Aug 23 2006, 07:00 PM
Post #34

Rolling Stone

hyper.gif

Of course it's possible!

BTW, I got your Friday night dinner and show booked. You'll need to be ready and raring at 7pm!

Catch you tonight. The jugs aren't huge here so we should easily sink in to double figures. It's my last night off work too so your timing couldn't have been better. Enjoy the Fiordland!!!

--------------------
Woz..

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2014 - 08:14 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in New Zealand

Akaroa Hotels
Arrowtown Hotels
Auckland Hotels
Blenheim Hotels
Christchurch Hotels
Coromandel Hotels
Dunedin Hotels
Fox Glacier Hotels
Franz Josef Hotels
Gisborne Hotels
Greymouth Hotels
Hamilton Hotels
Hanmer Springs Hotels
Hastings Hotels
Hokitika Hotels
Invercargill Hotels
Kaikoura Hotels
Kerikeri Hotels
Lake Tekapo Hotels
Mangere Hotels
Napier Hotels
Nelson Hotels
New Plymouth Hotels
Oamaru Hotels
Paihia Hotels
Palmerston North Hotels
Picton Hotels
Queenstown Hotels
Rotorua Hotels
Russell Hotels
Taupo Hotels
Tauranga Hotels
Te Anau Hotels
Timaru Hotels
Waiheke Island Hotels
Wanaka Hotels
Wanganui Hotels
Wellington Hotels
Whangarei Hotels
Whitianga Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.