Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> First timer for Thailand, Tips on great sightseeing
douglas_robson
post Jan 23 2011, 12:18 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1657491

Hi all,

Could you help a starting traveller out by any chance?
I'm leaving for Thailand in a couple of days and was wondering what great spots are out there to see. I's a very broad question i know... so i'll try to break it down some happy.gif
i only have a month and have a very rough sketch of what my travel itinerary will be.
Starting off in Bangkok, then up to Chiang Mai, heading east to Cambodian or Laosian border and down again towards Ko Samui/Ko Phanang/Ko Tao before heading for home again...

i am psyched to go!! frantics.gif

Douglas
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
koonel
post Jan 23 2011, 03:13 AM
Post #2

Wayfarer

Member No.: 1111301

QUOTE(douglas_robson @ Jan 23 2011, 01:18 AM) *

Hi all,

Could you help a starting traveller out by any chance?
I'm leaving for Thailand in a couple of days and was wondering what great spots are out there to see. I's a very broad question i know... so i'll try to break it down some happy.gif
i only have a month and have a very rough sketch of what my travel itinerary will be.
Starting off in Bangkok, then up to Chiang Mai, heading east to Cambodian or Laosian border and down again towards Ko Samui/Ko Phanang/Ko Tao before heading for home again...

i am psyched to go!! frantics.gif

Douglas

Sounds like a plan to me! You have done better planning than many travelers. Spend a few days in Bangkok before you fly home. Wait until you get to Thailand to change any money over to Thai baht to get the best rate. Bank money changers are at the airport at Suvarnabhumi 24 hours a day.

Don't leave Cambodia or Laos with their currency because no one wants it once you get to a second country. Read up on visa requirements for each country. For Thailand if you need a visa or not depends on the passport you will be using.

A Google check will also give you some suggestions on what to do. If Siem Reap is on your list for a visit it might be cheaper to fly to Phnom Penh first then take bus or boat up to the Angkor Wat area. For Chiang Mai from Bangkok you can also use the sleeper train. If you stay in Bangkok for a few days at the beginning of your holiday you can purchase plane, bus or train tickets. Read up on scams for Bangkok and Thailand in general; especially tuk-tuk and bus scams.

Good transportation from the BKK airport to the city. You have buses, taxis and even a rail link now. But if you arrive after midnight you only have public taxis.

For hotel suggestions always mention a dollar or baht value. If you are a kid or very early 20's maybe a hotel in the Khao San Road area will do. Slightly older maybe a hotel in the Sukhumvit Road/Siam area will be a better choice so you can use the Skytrain. No Skytrain in the KSR area.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
douglas_robson
post Jan 23 2011, 05:35 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1657491

Thanks Koonel!

Esspecially for the advice on currency of neighbouring states of Cambodia and Laos.
The flight to Phnom Penh and the boat/bus trip to Angkor Wat is definitely worth checking out!

only five more days...

hyper.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
alffredangelo
post Dec 9 2011, 02:44 PM
Post #4

Drifter

Member No.: 2389033

Well planned. Hope you have a great time. Thailand is indeed a great place to visit
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st September 2014 - 11:17 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Thailand

Ayutthaya Hotels
Bangkok Hotels
Cha-am Hotels
Chaweng Hotels
Chiang Mai Hotels
Chiang Rai Hotels
Chon Buri Hotels
Hat Yai Hotels
Hua Hin Hotels
Kanchanaburi Hotels
Kathu Hotels
Khao Lak Hotels
Khon Kaen Hotels
Ko Lanta Hotels
Ko Phangan Hotels
Ko Phi Phi Don Hotels
Ko Tao Hotels
Krabi Hotels
Lampang Hotels
Loei Hotels
Mae Hong Son Hotels
Nakorn Ratchasima Hotels
Nakorn Si Thammarat Hotels
Narathiwat Hotels
Nonthaburi Hotels
Pai Hotels
Patong Hotels
Pattaya Hotels
Phangnga Hotels
Phetchaburi Hotels
Phitsanulok Hotels
Rawai Hotels
Rayong Hotels
Songkhla Hotels
Sukhothai Hotels
Surat Thani Hotels
Tak Hotels
Trang Hotels
Trat Hotels
Udon Thani Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.