Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Where to stay in Kyoto and Osaka
mickeyll
post Feb 20 2009, 05:23 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 270395
Nominate me as a Local Expert

My husband and I will be in Osaka/Kyoto for 3 nights before leaving a cruise out of Osaka. Should we plan on staying in Osaka the 3 nights or in Kyoto? What is the distance (timewise) between the two cities? How difficult is it to take the bullet train with luggage?

Any suggestions on 5 star hotels in Kyoto? Osaka?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
uktokyoite
post Feb 23 2009, 12:38 AM
Post #2

Expeditionist

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 196192

Hi Mickey,

I'm not in the Osaka or Kyoto district so don't know the hotels very well. Maybe someone else can jump in here with any feedback about that.

I have visited myself though and the distance between Osaka and Kyoto by train is only about 30 minutes so its no problem if you want to spend all 3 days in one place. Which place to stay in I think depends on your preferences.

Osaka is definitely more of a modern city than Kyoto and if you want to go for a drink in the evening and hang out then the Dotonburi area of Osaka is good. Kyoto has more of the local type shops and is quieter I believe - I can't say for sure as we stayed in Osaka and traveled to Kyoto by day to see the temples.

A picture of Dotonburi is here courtesy of Osaka Blog

Luggage on the shinkansen is difficult. For safety reasons (bomb scenarios) the luggage areas at the ends of each carriage are now closed - you cannot use them. Any luggage you have must go with you to your seat and you are not allowed to block the aisles.

If you are coming in to Narita Airport you are able to send your luggage on separately to your hotel leaving you free to get around. I would think that Kansai airport has something similar. This is the link to their faq page

--------------------
Cheers and all the best,

Honor

My Webpage
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kitkatgo
post Feb 23 2009, 01:39 PM
Post #3

Navigator

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13816

Hi,

I don't know about distance, or going to the port or anything like that. But when I was in Kyoto, we stayed at the Kyoto Century Hotel. It was nice, I don't know how many stars. But the great thing about it was that it was within walking distance to the train station.

Oh, and we traveled with 7 suitcases on trains from Tokyo, Kyoto, Hiroshima and back to Tokyo (on Green cars). But if you can send it ahead, that's certainly easier.

My blog is below:

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entri...eb_UID=kitkatgo

--------------------
~Kit
California Local Expert

Visit my travel blogs:
http://www.travelpod.com/members/kitkatgo
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2014 - 01:56 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Japan

Atami Hotels
Beppu Hotels
Chino Hotels
Chiyoda Hotels
Chuo Hotels
Fukuoka Hotels
Hakodate Hotels
Hakone Hotels
Hakuba-mura Hotels
Hiroshima Hotels
Hokuto Hotels
Ito Hotels
Izu Hotels
Kanazawa Hotels
Kobe Hotels
Kumamoto Hotels
Kyoto Hotels
Matsumoto Hotels
Minamiuonuma Hotels
Minato Hotels
Myoko Hotels
Nagano Hotels
Nagasaki Hotels
Nagoya Hotels
Naha Hotels
Narita Hotels
Nasu-machi Hotels
Niigata Hotels
Nikko Hotels
Osaka Hotels
Sapporo Hotels
Sendai Hotels
Shimoda Hotels
Shinjuku Hotels
Taito Hotels
Takayama Hotels
Toba Hotels
Tokyo Hotels
Ueda Hotels
Yokohama Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.