Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Inside passage & backpacking, ideas, information, help, couchsurfing, lodging, etc
mynetdude
post Jan 16 2011, 04:10 PM
Post #1

Voyager

Group: Members
Member No.: 245111
Nominate me as a Local Expert

I've been posting in a variety of places to get maximum exposure smile.gif I also posted 2 1/2 weeks ago, since then I've had a lot of information gathered and have less questions just different ones now.

I just want to see what I can/when I can, I am not in a rush/hurry and I don't have much particulars so I'll do what comes and goes.

My concern is lodging for the high peak of the summer June-August, I plan to utilize hostels where available and cabins where available as well.

I would like to start off in Ketchikan since I'll be coming from Oregon and I'd like to see how far I can get from Ketchikan June-Dec; I should be spending roughly a week in most significant areas for example: I would stay in Ketchikan for a week but also visit Annette Island once or twice as needed.

I've been doing a lot of looking around, and noticed on Google Earth (which gives more details than Google Maps could ever) there are quite a bit of islands nearby Ketchikan other than the obvious (Gravina) island where the airport is, there's Danger Island, Pennock Island, etc are all these islands worth visiting?

Then I would move on and head up to Craig and visit the communities on that island for a week or two as there seems to be more to cover there, hard to tell as Ketchikan is quite big too so I'm not sure if I would see it all in a week.

I know there are not hostels everywhere so I'm looking to see what my options are: couchsurfing for 2-3 days here and there while I wait for an opening at a hostel or cabin or some other accommodation arrangements. Perhaps trade for lodging & a small bit of food for some volunteer time, etc.

My GUESS is I could make it to Homer or Seward by Christmas and then fly back to Oregon at that point, I can't really predict how long it will take me to see everything in 6 months which is to include island hopping (the ones worth hopping to).

My concern with winter is survivability, Oregon gets cold I do have warm clothing for that kind of thing just not sub zero wink.gif. The other thing is getting around during the winter months, I'm going to guess this isn't easy to do? And finally, airline service during the winter months will I have difficulty getting flights? Obviously bad weather affects everyone not just Alaska.

Hope you can help! And TIA for your time reading!
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mynetdude
post Feb 10 2012, 05:02 PM
Post #2

Voyager

QUOTE(jordans1 @ Feb 10 2012, 04:57 PM) *

I've heard the inside passage is one of the most beautiful places in North America. What are peoples thoughts on cruising vs backpacking? It would be great to go explore in the wild but also see the glaciers from a distance and have that option.

why not do both?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mynetdude
post Feb 13 2012, 02:33 PM
Post #3

Voyager

QUOTE(jordans1 @ Feb 13 2012, 02:29 PM) *

QUOTE(mynetdude @ Feb 10 2012, 05:02 PM) *

I've heard the inside passage is one of the most beautiful places in North America. What are peoples thoughts on cruising vs backpacking? It would be great to go explore in the wild but also see the glaciers from a distance and have that option.

why not do both?

Do they offer cruises that do both? I'm curious as to the length and pricing to do both as compared to choosing one or the other. Thanks!

I don't know if there are any backpacker type cruises (great idea though)

but you could hop on a cruise and then get off and then backpack your way back or you could take the AMHS (Alaskan Maritime Highway System) which is a ferry and stops at more places than your typical cruise ship will.

I haven't done Alaska yet unfortunately
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mynetdude
post Feb 13 2012, 10:38 PM
Post #4

Voyager

QUOTE(jordans1 @ Feb 13 2012, 06:48 PM) *

QUOTE(mynetdude @ Feb 13 2012, 02:33 PM) *

QUOTE(jordans1 @ Feb 13 2012, 02:29 PM) *

QUOTE(mynetdude @ Feb 10 2012, 05:02 PM) *

why not do both?

Do they offer cruises that do both? I'm curious as to the length and pricing to do both as compared to choosing one or the other. Thanks!

I don't know if there are any backpacker type cruises (great idea though)

but you could hop on a cruise and then get off and then backpack your way back or you could take the AMHS (Alaskan Maritime Highway System) which is a ferry and stops at more places than your typical cruise ship will.

I haven't done Alaska yet unfortunately

Thanks for the tips! I didn't know about the AMHS. That seems like the most convenient and flexible of the options.

the AMHS ferry can also go to Canada I believe, and I wouldn't say its cheap but probably a lot cheaper than a cruise ship and you won't find cruise type entertainment. Think of it as a train on water (I haven't seen trains with entertainment really).

Also don't forget, you probably will not have internet access for a day or two until you arrive at Port or when you dock at a stopover so keep that in mind as well (of course most cruise ships don't offer internet just yet).
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2014 - 09:29 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.