Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Thailand in a week ?
christinauk
post Feb 19 2009, 06:50 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 238742

Hi !

Im looking for some advice and tips for a week in Thailand at the end of March. We fly in to Bangkok but wouldnt mind spending some time on a beach as well? Ive priced up some flights from Bangkok to Phuket (so we'd get 2 days in Bangkok and 4 days in Phuket, its THB 5000 return for 2 of us...) I literally dont know anything about Thailand so would really appreciate any advice anyone has ! I have read the Starter kit which has helped so much but can anyone recommend any hotels/ places to stay in particular? In Bangkok and Phuket maybe. We want to make the most of the time we have there since its only for a week, I know hardly anytime, from what I have seen so far I already want to stay longer than that !!

Thank you smile.gif
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
barsie
post Feb 19 2009, 07:03 AM
Post #2

Globetrotter

Member No.: 195337

What sort of things are you looking to do on your trip, beach or activities etc? Are you looking for a fairly western experience or to try and branch out for a a bit more off beat trip?

As far as accommodation goes Thailand has a massive range of places to stay, so that will really depend on what your budget is. If you shop around you can get some really high standard cheap places.

--------------------
Would be life traveler.

Visit BackPackingShop
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Feb 19 2009, 07:16 AM
Post #3

Planet Pioneer

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 692

You can get a return flight to Phuket at the end of march for less than 1500THB each if you use Air Asia.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Feb 19 2009, 11:46 AM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 124

Good call Rich, though I'd say don't rule out the overnight train for around 600-800 baht, which includes a great opportunity to meet people and have a novel experience. As for recommending a place to stay? All depends how fussy you are. If you do get down to Phuket, give me a shout and I'll point you in the right direction..

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
christinauk
post Feb 20 2009, 09:09 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 238742

Hey thanks for the replys !
We are hoping to just travel about and see as much as we can - Just wanted to use Bangkok and Phuket as bases really. Travel out as far as we can each day. Its just a bit awkward only being there for a week but I always want to see the most that we can! unsure.gif
Id been looking up about Ao Nang, it looks like paradise there. I didnt realise you could fly straight there from bangkok ! Im going to look into that ..
If we where staying longer id definitely think about getting the train! I think that would be quite an experience !!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Feb 20 2009, 09:45 PM
Post #6

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 124

No apologies Neil, I totally agree with you. Phuket's not my thing in the slightest, and I totally agree there's far better things to see out there with far more character. I was just saying I'd recommend the overnight train as opposed to flying to someone who wants to go to Phuket.

As for options, I'd say pretty much the same - a couple of days in Phuket then get straight on a boat and explore the islands. Christina, if flying direct to Krabi is an option I'd be doing that, and using Krabi as my base..

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
curt1591
post Feb 20 2009, 09:50 PM
Post #7

Explorer

Member No.: 65820

Just to put "a week" into perspective, Twice yearly, I've done extended visits to Bangkok since the 90's. I have lived here since 2007. I'm finally beginning to scratch the surface.

Personally, I would head to a spot (Ao Nang?), check it out, then stay or leave as the pace dictates. If you find yourself staying in one place for the entire week, you must enjoy it.

Bottom line is that you will be returning. You can check out some other areas next trip.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post Feb 26 2009, 08:36 AM
Post #8

Navigator

Member No.: 98

I tend to agree that one week = stay in one spot.

Or maybe arrive into Bangkok, a day and a night and then head to your chosen destination and stay there. Otherwise you'll be checking in and out, pack, unpacking, reading maps, travelling, waiting in lines, etc for most of your week and not getting much time to really meet people, explore, soak it all in.

Where is the one place to go - totally depends on you.

Could be:
Bangkok
Phuket
Krabi
Koh Samet (shorter travel time from Bangkok)
Koh Samui
Kanchanaburi
Chiang Mai
Mae Hong Son
Loei
Sukhothai
Khao Yai National Park
Korat
Songkla
Tak
Khun Yuom
Nan

etc etc

There are many places, each could be equally fascinating and enjoyable for a week
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st September 2014 - 05:12 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Thailand

Ayutthaya Hotels
Bangkok Hotels
Cha-am Hotels
Chaweng Hotels
Chiang Mai Hotels
Chiang Rai Hotels
Chon Buri Hotels
Hat Yai Hotels
Hua Hin Hotels
Kanchanaburi Hotels
Kathu Hotels
Khao Lak Hotels
Khon Kaen Hotels
Ko Lanta Hotels
Ko Phangan Hotels
Ko Phi Phi Don Hotels
Ko Tao Hotels
Krabi Hotels
Lampang Hotels
Loei Hotels
Mae Hong Son Hotels
Nakorn Ratchasima Hotels
Nakorn Si Thammarat Hotels
Narathiwat Hotels
Nonthaburi Hotels
Pai Hotels
Patong Hotels
Pattaya Hotels
Phangnga Hotels
Phetchaburi Hotels
Phitsanulok Hotels
Rawai Hotels
Rayong Hotels
Songkhla Hotels
Sukhothai Hotels
Surat Thani Hotels
Tak Hotels
Trang Hotels
Trat Hotels
Udon Thani Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.