Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

> The Old British Fort in Khartoum? - Khartoum travel question
texaslightning
post Jan 15 2011, 10:07 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1635931
Nominate me as a Local Expert

I lived and loved living as a British soldier - Sgt - in Khartoum from 1952 to 1955.

We were supporting the then Sudan Defence Force which is now the core of the Sudanese Army.

In this time I was in a REME technical workshop and learnt Arabic and had many sudanese friends mainly from Khartoum Bahri and Omdurman.

We lived in an old fort on the edge of the airport and in its grounds were our workshops etc surrounded then by a perimeter fence and guarded by Sudanese Askaris.

Does the old fort still exist? Who is using it now? speak_cool.gif

Are there any Sudanese who remember this or have relatives who worked there as tradesmen, engineers and mechanics etc?

Any information gratefully accepted! Just post a message - love to hear more! beach.gif
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 1)
nasser_gador
post Apr 23 2011, 12:35 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 1912701
Nominate me as a Local Expert

QUOTE(texaslightning @ Jan 15 2011, 10:07 AM) *

I lived and loved living as a British soldier - Sgt - in Khartoum from 1952 to 1955.

We were supporting the then Sudan Defence Force which is now the core of the Sudanese Army.

In this time I was in a REME technical workshop and learnt Arabic and had many sudanese friends mainly from Khartoum Bahri and Omdurman.

We lived in an old fort on the edge of the airport and in its grounds were our workshops etc surrounded then by a perimeter fence and guarded by Sudanese Askaris.

Does the old fort still exist? Who is using it now? speak_cool.gif

Are there any Sudanese who remember this or have relatives who worked there as tradesmen, engineers and mechanics etc?

Any information gratefully accepted! Just post a message - love to hear more! beach.gif

Thats is good history I think poeple in KHartoum will be so happy if you visit Khartoum again . I think the fort became the Army headquarters . Iam sudanes and I live there . I will be happy to to give you anny information abowt my country
my e mail nasser_gador@hotmail.com
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2014 - 06:40 PM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.