Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> VANCOUVER CANADA - A DANGEROUS DESTINATION?, WARNING - SHOOTING ON CITY STREETS ETC A REGULAR OCCURANCE
vanwarning
post Feb 17 2009, 10:05 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 270090
Nominate me as a Local Expert

TRAVELLERS TO VANCOUVER BEWARE -

Vancouver, thought to be Lotus Land, has become the gangland hotspot for classic old shoot outs to settle arguments and business arrangements gone bad.

What is worse is the public and travellers to Vancouver are a risk. 15 days of gunfire on city streets; in front of grocery stores, in shopping malls, in neighbourhood streets and the 1930's style drive by shootings while driving on the streets.

Travellers should not think the law has control of the situation. They don't.

Canada has spent billions on gun control and yet everyone who wants a gun for illegal puproses has one or can easily get one.

And when caught with weapons it seems the judicial system cannot or will not treat it as a crime and lets those arrested to return to the streets by posting bail with a token dollar amount.

The police are at a loss, the citizens who live here in fear of their safety.

Pictures of Vancovuer may look pretty but it is one of the most dangerous places to vist right now.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
aopaq
post Feb 18 2009, 01:28 AM
Post #2

Tripper

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 893

Having previously lived in Vancouver for many years, I have no doubts that the city is having its issues in terms of gangland violence. However, I don't think it is even close to being in a state of near violent anarchy which this post tends to suggest.
I would say that probably the majority of gang shootings are occurring in specific "trouble areas" which are places visitors would have no reason to travel to. I very much doubt that shootings are random and occurring on every street corner and that the police are completely ineffective. There is obviously some reason to be aware but I would never in a million years call Vancouver "one of the most dangerous places to visit right now."

I cannot help but wonder about the motives behind this post because I truly believe the headline and some of the comments provided, without further detail or evidence, serves little positive purpose other than to create unnecessary worry.

I am headed to Vancouver this summer and will not be concerned in the least!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
cheli
post Feb 18 2009, 07:27 AM
Post #3

Pathfinder

Member No.: 48561

I was in Vancouver last year and saw nothing of that - not on the street, not in the papers. I have had friends living in the city over the past two years and they haven't mentioned anything either.

I'm sure in any big city you need to exercise caution and be aware of the local crime environment but I'm not sure the strength of this post is warranted by the level of danger presented.

--------------------
Happiness isn't a destination; it's a means of travelling
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
vanwarning
post Feb 18 2009, 09:17 AM
Post #4

ANOTHER BRAZEN SHHOTING IN CANADA'S GANG CAPITAL [Feb 18 - Newpaper Headlines]
"Man shot dead in daylight incident - safety Minister flies to B.C."

"Another shooting rocked Vanc yesterday adding to a grim tally that includes a young mother gunned down Monday as she drove with her 4 year old son in the back seat."
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Feb 18 2009, 09:20 AM
Post #5

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

Do you have a link to that article? I'd like to read it.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
cheli
post Feb 18 2009, 07:57 PM
Post #6

Pathfinder

Member No.: 48561

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...PStory/National

ohmy.gif

--------------------
Happiness isn't a destination; it's a means of travelling
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
vanwarning
post Feb 19 2009, 12:23 AM
Post #7

Vancouver -
Violent gun incidents shoot to a new high
CRIME - Sophisticated criminals are increasingly using powerful weapons in very public places
Kim Bolan, Vancouver SunVancouver

................But more troubling to the average citizen is that shootings in public places have increased by 35 per cent over last year. Instead of gangsters zeroing in on targets in their homes, the attacks are more frequently taking place on crowded city streets, in restaurants and in parks where people walk their dogs.

Between Jan. 1 and May 14, 2007, 51 of the total shootings were in public places and 16 were in victims' houses. But for the same period this year, 79 were in public and just eight in targets' homes.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
aopaq
post Feb 19 2009, 02:25 AM
Post #8

Tripper

Member No.: 893

I am glad to see the information is being provided by such an excellent source such as the Vancouver Sun which if I recall has never been said to sensationalize stories just a bit for the benefit of selling papers.

And of course, I am a big fan of statistics so for comparison I thought I should mention Chicago, which to the best of my knowledge has never been referred to as a "one of the most dangerous places to visit" in recent years. However, Chicago logged something like 508 murders in 2008 and if one uses the same proportion as previous years for those that were perpetrated with firearms (75-80%) that leaves about 380-405 shooting deaths.

Of course one could say that these are not necessarily happening in public areas but given the following newspaper article from April, it would suggest that walking the streets in Chicago is also a concern:

An outburst of gunfire rattled the city during the weekend, with at least nine people killed in 36 separate acts of violence.

The shootings were reported from Friday until Monday morning, police spokeswoman Monique Bond said Monday. They included gang shootings, drive-by attacks, and even one case in which someone used an AK-47 to shoot up a plumbing supply store.

Then on Monday evening, a man was shot to death and three other people were wounded in a robbery attempt at a McDonald's, police said.

So, it would appear to me that Vancouver still has a ways to go before we reach the stature of Bean Town which itself has yet to receive a "most dangerous" designation.

This is not to downplay the obviously serious situation which is facing Vancouver now but I really think things must be kept in perspective. As mentioned earlier, travelers need to be aware of current crime conditions but until reports of tourists being specifically targeted occur, I would just enjoy your visit

By the way, isn't Vancouver due for a big earthquake soon? unsure.gif

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Feb 19 2009, 11:03 AM
Post #9

Rolling Stone

Yeah, this really sucks.... I heard about it on the radio right after I saw this thread...

I feel really sad for that poor child who happened to be in the car while his mom was shot to death.

Yes, the statistics are not worse than the U.S., but of course that doesn't excuse the murders.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
penguinx
post Apr 2 2009, 01:02 AM
Post #10

Wanderer

Member No.: 58773

The woman that was shot is gang related. She was married/related to gang member.
Yes so far there are a lot of shooting but almost all of them are targeted hits.
I live in Vancouver and have to watch the news daily with more shooting.

I believe the root cause of these shooting are related to the crack down of the drug trade in Mexico where it got so bad that the army had to move it. This affected the export of drugs from Vancouver. Drugs that are having a hard time 'exporting' caused the gang to fight over territories locally to sell drugs instead of exporting.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Apr 2 2009, 09:22 AM
Post #11

Rolling Stone

Hmmm, interesting theory...

Are you saying that Vancouver drug-producers were previously sending their drugs to the States or to Mexico? Or both?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
penguinx
post Apr 2 2009, 11:08 AM
Post #12

Wanderer

Vancouver exports marijuana and imports cocaine from US with Mexico as the supplier.

So there is a 'trade inbalance' here. The supply of cocaine is limited, prices are high. exports of marijuana used to be the trade off but there is limited trade when the Mexican government mobilized soldiers & police to curb drugs activity.

So the gangs here are killing each other over this.

You hear about shooting on the news but it is targeted not some guy went 'postal' and shoot people for no reason or like school shooting you hear about.
Most of the killing, the victims are gang related, 1 or 2 at at time. It is difficult to be sympathic about this.
Yes there were some mistaken identity and innocent by standers, that's what gets me upset not the gangster was killed.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Apr 2 2009, 12:06 PM
Post #13

Rolling Stone

Oohhhhh I see what you're saying, yeah that makes sense... hmmm something to think about.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
travelifer
post Apr 20 2009, 08:24 PM
Post #14

Wanderer

Member No.: 275910

There has definitely been quite a bit written in the newspapers in the past couple of years about gang-related gun violence in Vancouver.

Let's be honest though, there is gun violence all over the world.

If you are concerned about getting caught in the cross-fire of gang shoot-outs, you best not travel to NYC, L.A., Miami, Detroit, Washington D.C.

Don't forget all of the drug cartels in South America that kidnap people.

Currently there is a gang warfare being played out in Australian cities between the biker gangs.

I suppose what I am saying is that these things happen everywhere. Perhaps because it is a relatively new trend in Vancouver, it is getting a lot of attention.

It's also important not to put yourself in dangerous situations.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
penguinx
post Apr 21 2009, 11:57 AM
Post #15

Wanderer

You are absolutely right!

The other reason is because the Olympic Winter Games are coming to Vancouver in less than 1 year. The host city gets more media coverage then others.

Once the Olympics is over, the media will turn their attention to the next host city. That does not mean there will be less crime in Vancouver, right?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
soar
post Mar 31 2010, 04:51 PM
Post #16

Wanderer

Member No.: 631281

Hi. I've been to Vancouver three times, I have family in there, and I must say that in second time of my staying there I've noticed some disturbing changes in the city.First of all, you should all avoid Hastings Street, as it became to be a centre of drug users, homeless people and underaged prostitutes. It's getting really out of control, but I think Vancouver isn't the only one city having similar issues. I think the rest of the city is realy safe, especially the False Creek marina, and north part.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2014 - 05:25 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.