Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> new zealand: things to do in the winter?
oldhongerlady
post Jun 3 2006, 04:37 PM
Post #1

Wanderer

Group: Members
Member No.: 1892
Nominate me as a Local Expert

anyone ever travel during their winter?

I'm planning a trip to new zealand this august. just wondering what you guys can recommend in terms of activities and places to check out? (I'm aware of snowboarding, although considering I'm from Vancouver, BC, Canada, I'm sure my standards for 'good' snow is probably a lot higher than the average kiwi).

any advice would be greatly appreciated! thanks!
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Jun 3 2006, 08:55 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 124

Hi!

The main focus will be skiing and snowboarding in both islands, but that doesn't mean the usual activities are off limits. I know that around Queenstown there'll be plenty of mountain biking, night skiing, ice climbing, curling and snowshoeing(!) going on and you'll also have access to the usual adventure sports that are popular all-year round: skydiving, bungy jumping, white water rafting etc..

In general though, apart from the main ski areas, things will be fairly quiet so should make for a very pleasant trip. And the scenery will be absolutely stunning!

As for places to check out, my first response would be 'everywhere' but it really depends on how much time you have and which island(s) you'll be visiting. What are your plans?

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Jun 5 2006, 09:47 AM
Post #3

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 124

Hi,

I posted this info on another thread, but it might help:

Depending on where you're headed in New Zealand there's good skiing in both islands:- some of the popular ones being:-

North Island

Whakapapa on the slopes of Mt Ruapehu

South Island

Mt Hutt - Canterbury
Ohau Snowfields - Nr Twizel, Mt Cook area
Treble Cone and Cardrona - Wanaka
Coronet Peak and The Remarkables - Queenstown

There's an incredible atmosphere here in Queenstown at the moment. The slopes officially open in less than two weeks and already fresh new faces are starting to appear.

If you're headed over here during July/August you should make it just in time for the peak season. The atmosphere will be electric!

...as for the skydiving, you'll have no problems but it will be weather permitting. There's plenty of option too depending on your location: Rotorua, Taupo, Wellington, Nelson, Christchurch, Frans Josef, Wanaka, Queenstown all offer skydiving packages and if you're in the right place at the right time, the view (and the experience) will be out of this world!

'Are there any hostels nearby the mountains?'
- plenty, you won't have a problem, though do bear in mind if you're arriving in peak season in the busiest resorts you may want to consider booking in advance..

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 11:59 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in New Zealand

Akaroa Hotels
Arrowtown Hotels
Auckland Hotels
Blenheim Hotels
Christchurch Hotels
Coromandel Hotels
Dunedin Hotels
Fox Glacier Hotels
Franz Josef Hotels
Gisborne Hotels
Greymouth Hotels
Hamilton Hotels
Hanmer Springs Hotels
Hastings Hotels
Hokitika Hotels
Invercargill Hotels
Kaikoura Hotels
Kerikeri Hotels
Lake Tekapo Hotels
Mangere Hotels
Napier Hotels
Nelson Hotels
New Plymouth Hotels
Oamaru Hotels
Paihia Hotels
Palmerston North Hotels
Picton Hotels
Queenstown Hotels
Rotorua Hotels
Russell Hotels
Taupo Hotels
Tauranga Hotels
Te Anau Hotels
Timaru Hotels
Waiheke Island Hotels
Wanaka Hotels
Wanganui Hotels
Wellington Hotels
Whangarei Hotels
Whitianga Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.