Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mexico - places we should go?, Advice on where to go
fargoing
post Feb 11 2009, 09:42 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 256707
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hello,

A friend and I arrived in Cancun, Mexico, about a week ago and have so far been to Tulum, Chichen Itza, Merida, and Uxmal. We are traveling to Mexico City. I am interested in the Mayan ruins, and want to do some diving on the pacific coast as well as a jungle tour or something near the Guatemalan border, but otherwise I feel like I am struggling to find things to do.

Does anyone have any suggestions of places to go, or things to do from Merida to Mexico city? What would be the best way to do a tour of the jungle, and where would be the best place to do it? We have about 15days to get to Mexico city, would we have time for a quick trip into Guatemala, or should we focus on Mexico?

Thanks all.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Massimo
post Feb 13 2009, 05:49 AM
Post #2

Voyager

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 268870

Hi, Coba is pretty cool, is a big area, and you can rent a bike to explore it, very nice.
From Riviea Maya is quite far, by bus it took us 2,5 hrs to get there, and their tour was terrible, they took us in a disgusting restaurant after it, food wasn't good at all, and while you wre eating they would send poor kids around the tables to scrath some money. My lunch was spoiled, I was quite upset.
So, maybe, plan on getting there with some kind of private tour to share or so, maybe it will be a little more expensive, bu certainly they will be a little more professional.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Feb 13 2009, 02:55 PM
Post #3

Tripper

Member No.: 2195

If I had 15 days to spend in southern Mexico, I'd take the bus from Merida to Belize via Chetumal. Spend a day or two on Caye Caulker, then take the bus to Flores and Tikal in Guatemala. After visiting Tikal, I'd take the tough trip returning to Mexico across the Usumacinta River to Yaxchilan and Palenque. After this, hop over to San Cristobal de las Casas and Tuxla Gutierrrez to see the Sumidero Gorge. From here go north to Oaxaca and Puebla and on to Mexico City. Not an easy trip, but really rewarding. Note that many of the bus trips in Mexico can be by overnight sleeper bus, saving time and hotel expenses.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
thelupinelady
post Feb 23 2009, 08:48 AM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 270383
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Did you stay in Tulum? We're going to be there in April and are researching a place to stay that is beautiful, reasonable, clean and quiet. anything you found that you'd recommend?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Feb 23 2009, 05:40 PM
Post #5

Tripper

Member No.: 2195

I have never stayed at Tulum I'm afraid. Closest I've stayed is Playa del Carmen, which I love.

Nevertheless here is a great site with all the hotels you can imagine:
http://www.hotelstulum.com/

Skim through them, short list the ones that look good to you, then go onto TripAdvisor and get the lowdown from past visitors:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g150813-...ula-Hotels.html

If you stay in Tulum, you are about three hours closer to Chetumal, if you still plan on doing the 15-day circuit.

Hope this helps

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 12:28 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Mexico

Acapulco Hotels
Aguascalientes Hotels
Akumal Hotels
Cabo San Lucas Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Chihuahua Hotels
Ciudad Juarez Hotels
Cuernavaca Hotels
Guadalajara Hotels
Guanajuato Hotels
Hermosillo Hotels
Huatulco Hotels
La Paz Hotels
Leon Hotels
Manzanillo Hotels
Mazatlan Hotels
Merida Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Monterrey Hotels
Morelia Hotels
Nuevo Vallarta Hotels
Oaxaca Hotels
Playa Paraiso Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puebla Hotels
Puerto Aventuras Hotels
Puerto Morelos Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Queretaro Hotels
Saltillo Hotels
San Cristobal de las Casas Hotels
San Jose Del Cabo Hotels
San Luis Potosí Hotels
San Miguel de Allende Hotels
Tampico Hotels
Tijuana Hotels
Tulum Hotels
Veracruz Hotels
Villahermosa Hotels
Zihuatanejo Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.