Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> To Thailand w/ a 6yo, Leaving mid May and returing August
bhag-now
post Feb 9 2009, 03:28 PM
Post #1

Wanderer

Group: Members
Member No.: 167307

Hi there,

the three of us are traveling to Thailand and surrounding countries this summer. Particularly, Cambodia, Laos, and Burma. We will be traveling throughout Thailand also.

Since I am traveling with a child, anyone have any suggestions on how to best approach this. My daughter has traveled w us since she was 6 months and she's gone overseas many times. She is a good traveler.

We are on a very tight budget but we need access to Wi Fi access since my husband is an on line professor.

We want to rent an apartment instead of staying in a guest house paying pernight. What is the best way to do this?

Any additional recommendations would be most helpful.

thanks so much!!!

User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Feb 10 2009, 08:40 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

Hi there,

If you're planning on finding an apartment in each place you go (??) than I think you're going to have some trouble finding just that. Apartment rentals are much more common throughout the cities and even still, it might be a bit harder finding them to rent per night. Maybe someone else has some input on this.....?

If you don't mind my asking, why is it you want to rent an apartment specifically? Is it for the privacy and ease of having your own place while traveling with a young one? It will likely be much cheaper to stay at guesthouses than in an apartment so that might be better for your budget.

You're going to find that the most accessible and available option is staying in a guest house or hotel. Internet is available all around SEA but wifi is not very common. You'll have some trouble with accessing internet in Burma depending where you're going to be. In Cambodia, Laos and Thailand there are internet cafes all over...

I'm not overly familiar with wifi hot spots in SEA but I would have to say out of common sense your going to find it much easier to access the internet at internet cafes. I know in Bangkok wifi is spreading but in smaller cities and towns? No dice. In Laos you'll only find wifi in Vientiane and Luang Prabang, not anywhere else. Burma, forget it really. You'd likely have to get connected there as obviously your husband needs access to his laptop to work.

So, long story short, I'd plan on checking out some different accommodation choices and concentrating more on where you can find an internet cafe rather than wifi.

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
huckabmm
post Feb 10 2009, 09:50 AM
Post #3

Pathfinder

Member No.: 264395

Hi,

I recently read this book One Year Off. It's all about this family that took a trip around the world with their three young children. They have a few chapters about their experiences in that part of the world. It might be worth getting a copy from your local library.

Hope this helps, safe travels,

--------------------
-Matt

"Be a traveler, not a tourist."
"Chance favors the prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur

Give Life

My upcoming trips:
1. A week at the Outer Banks, NC; June '10
2. Somewhere in South America, Early 2011
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Feb 10 2009, 07:31 PM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(huckabmm @ Feb 10 2009, 09:50 AM) *

Hi,

I recently read this book One Year Off. It's all about this family that took a trip around the world with their three young children. They have a few chapters about their experiences in that part of the world. It might be worth getting a copy from your local library.

Hope this helps, safe travels,

ahh, nice suggestion smile.gif

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lunthom
post Feb 12 2009, 12:04 AM
Post #5

Nomad

Member No.: 103052

QUOTE(bhag-now @ Feb 9 2009, 03:28 PM) *

Hi there,

the three of us are traveling to Thailand and surrounding countries this summer. Particularly, Cambodia, Laos, and Burma. We will be traveling throughout Thailand also.

Since I am traveling with a child, anyone have any suggestions on how to best approach this. My daughter has traveled w us since she was 6 months and she's gone overseas many times. She is a good traveler.

We are on a very tight budget but we need access to Wi Fi access since my husband is an on line professor.

We want to rent an apartment instead of staying in a guest house paying pernight. What is the best way to do this?

Any additional recommendations would be most helpful.

thanks so much!!!

if you wanna rental it in BKK I can help...
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
bhag-now
post Feb 16 2009, 11:25 AM
Post #6

Wanderer

Group: Members
Member No.: 167307

We are traveling to Thailand for the following reasons:

1. To make contacts/connections with universities in BKK and Chaing Mai (my husband is a professor) will be teaching online only starting this summer which allows us to travel for three months.
2. We want to live in Thailand for a couple of years with our daughter.
3. Travel within Thailand and surrounding countries.

We will be there from May - August.
Now I am thinking we just need to find a guest house.

What are your recommendations? is this a rainy season in thailand?

thanks so much everyone!

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Feb 20 2009, 10:39 AM
Post #7

Rolling Stone

if i were you i would find a nice guesthouse and explain you want ot rent the room by the month and you will get a pretty deep discount 50-75% off

That's a great idea. It might not be exactly the kind of accommodation you're looking for (amenities-wise anyway, as in having certain amenties right in your room) but it'll be a pretty close. You will most certainly get a great deal most places when you stay for an extended period. We've always gotten excellent bargains when we've been, staying on in some places for months. yes.gif

--------------------
~Susie

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th September 2014 - 10:19 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Thailand

Ayutthaya Hotels
Bangkok Hotels
Cha-am Hotels
Chaweng Hotels
Chiang Mai Hotels
Chiang Rai Hotels
Chon Buri Hotels
Hat Yai Hotels
Hua Hin Hotels
Kanchanaburi Hotels
Kathu Hotels
Khao Lak Hotels
Khon Kaen Hotels
Ko Lanta Hotels
Ko Phangan Hotels
Ko Phi Phi Don Hotels
Ko Tao Hotels
Krabi Hotels
Lampang Hotels
Loei Hotels
Mae Hong Son Hotels
Nakorn Ratchasima Hotels
Nakorn Si Thammarat Hotels
Narathiwat Hotels
Nonthaburi Hotels
Pai Hotels
Patong Hotels
Pattaya Hotels
Phangnga Hotels
Phetchaburi Hotels
Phitsanulok Hotels
Rawai Hotels
Rayong Hotels
Songkhla Hotels
Sukhothai Hotels
Surat Thani Hotels
Tak Hotels
Trang Hotels
Trat Hotels
Udon Thani Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.