Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A newbie from DC -The Unstate, The Capitol's Best
travelingkh
post Feb 7 2009, 01:26 AM
Post #1

Drifter

Group: Members
Member No.: 263441
Nominate me as a Local Expert

I moved from my beautiful house in Florida to come to DC for the love of a man kiss.gif I met in the Hamptons. We met on a press trip. He was Egyption. Coincidentally, I left for Egypt 2 weeks later. When I came back, he met me in NYC, then I went to Florida, packed my bags and flew to DC---and stayed. frantics.gif
So, that's how I got here and it is the most unusual and grand city. First, it is only a district--not a state or a commonwealth. Consequently,and with much objection, it is taxed without representation. The town was laid out by a Frenchman, L'Enfant, who made the Capitol the center of the world and the fanned the streets out from there, like the spokes of a wheel (unlike Boston, which just paved the cow paths).

On the floor of the Capitol, in the Statuary Room, there is a white dot. It is placed on the geographical center of DC. Here's the explanation on the tour:
The white dot is the center of DC.
DC is the center of the United States of America.
The United States of America is the center of the world.
By transitivity, that white dot is the center of the world.

The DC area is unusual because there is a huge shift in population each time there is a new administration. It's like a huge company takeover, where all the employees get fired and a new staff moves in. Every four years, most of the residents pack up and leave town and a whole new bunch moves in. Also, DC is all politics the way Hollywood is all entertainment. Everyone and their brother has a connection to someone "on the hill".
And watch out! There are spy cameras everywhere, just look around. Coming from Bradenton, Florida, this is a very strange place.

DC is an exciting place hyper.gif where there is always something new to do--and nearly everything is free. New museums pop up like champagne corks and new exhibits change with such lightening speed, it's impossible to see everything .But there are some things you need to know to make your visit
stressless.
Transportation:
Best Bet- the Metro. It spans from the hub to the burbs. Parking and driving can be challenging in DC.
Museums:Best Bet--Too many to list, but nearly all are free. Go to tohttp://www.museumspot.com/cities/dc.htm
Theatre: Kennedy Center has everything from plays to literature,to dance, to art, to opera and symphony.Many others to choose from. Go To:http://dctheatrescene.com/now-playing/
NeighborhoodsGo to: http://www.culturaltourismdc.org/homepage2549/index.htm
PoliticsWalk in to Congress anytime it's in session and watch history happening. Watch famous politicians in action right from a seat in the balcony.
ToursGo to: http://www.culturaltourismdc.org/informati...information.htm

Contact your Congressperson in advance of your visit to make an appointment for tours of the Capitol, the Whitehouse and the Bureau of Engraving.
And have a great trip! yes.gif

User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Feb 7 2009, 09:26 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

The DC area is unusual because there is a huge shift in population each time there is a new administration. It's like a huge company takeover, where all the employees get fired and a new staff moves in. Every four years, most of the residents pack up and leave town and a whole new bunch moves in

Hey, that's quite interesting. Makes sense but I never would've thought of it.

Where abouts in Florida are you from? The real question is, who do you know on the hill?smile.gif

Well, welcome to the forums! Thanks for the information about DC.

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
travelingkh
post Feb 7 2009, 03:58 PM
Post #3

Drifter

QUOTE(wakingdream @ Feb 7 2009, 09:26 AM) *

The DC area is unusual because there is a huge shift in population each time there is a new administration. It's like a huge company takeover, where all the employees get fired and a new staff moves in. Every four years, most of the residents pack up and leave town and a whole new bunch moves in

Where abouts in Florida are you from? The real question is, who do you know on the hill?smile.gif

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
travelingkh
post Feb 7 2009, 09:09 PM
Post #4

Drifter

QUOTE(travelingkh @ Feb 7 2009, 03:58 PM) *

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
travelingkh
post Feb 7 2009, 09:13 PM
Post #5

Drifter

QUOTE(travelingkh @ Feb 7 2009, 09:09 PM) *

QUOTE(travelingkh @ Feb 7 2009, 03:58 PM) *

Hi,
I lived in Bradenton, FL near Sarasota. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone on the hill! But, I know where to hang out.
I'll be posting more info on DC as your expert.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 01:19 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.