Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tour Guides in Angkor Wat?, Recommendations?
jack_1964
post Feb 3 2009, 07:46 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 268580

Is it possible to provide a recommendation for tour guides in Angkor Wat? I will be traveling to Angkor Wat with my 2 kids for 4 days in April.

Thanks in advance!
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
borey
post Feb 15 2009, 11:26 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 251936

QUOTE(jack_1964 @ Feb 3 2009, 07:46 PM) *

Is it possible to provide a recommendation for tour guides in Angkor Wat? I will be traveling to Angkor Wat with my 2 kids for 4 days in April.

Thanks in advance!

Hi... Am in Cambodia. First questions, Where do you want to stay? You may can looking for a hotel and booking the guide who recommend from Hotel.

Borey
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kaiyleung8
post Jul 25 2009, 10:04 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 289821

I like Cambodia.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
gemmacakebread
post Aug 22 2009, 12:17 PM
Post #4

Drifter

Member No.: 294091

dont bother with tour guides!!!

We found a lovely tuk-tuk driver who provided us him, his brother and a friend (as there were a few of us) and for just $20 per tuk-tuk, they took us to angkor wat for the afternoon (after a certain time you can get a one-day ticket into the complex adn it counts for the afternoon and following day) then picked us up at 4am the next day to see the sunrise from the temple on the hill. cant remember the name for the life of me.
Then took us to all the temples at our leisure one by one, recommended where to eat etc.
Sure they didnt come round the temples with us and tell us all the history but you can get all that stuff in the tourist leaflets in restaurants and things.
This way you are not restricted to following a guide and only spending certain amounts of time at each temple. You can spend as much time as you like and just enjoy it!
Plus youll often find a random thai or cambodian man on some of the temples happily to tell you about them for no price.
After taking us round the temples, they took us back to our hotel so we could freshen up and then took us to a good local restaurant.

So just find a nice tuk-tuk driver! You may not get it as cheap as we did but you can certainly try! and itll still be worthit
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kafe
post Apr 19 2010, 11:13 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 934581

QUOTE(jack_1964 @ Feb 3 2009, 07:46 PM) *

Thanks in advance!

Ratanak was our tour guide during our visit in Siem Reap Angkor, we were lucky to have him with us. He tailored our plan in Angkor avoid from the crowds, showed us the great spot for photographs. He was flexible, knowledgeable with sense of humors. His English is brilliant and we are going to use his service again we return to Cambodia. I highly recommend to any tourists who seek good tour guide in Angkor, you won't be sorry to have him as a tour guide. He reaches with his website www.theangkorguide.net
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
saomila
post Apr 22 2010, 05:28 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 940211

I went on a trip to Camobida last year and it is really a wonderful place! The special point I made a visit was Angkor Wat, located in SiemRiep. There are ancient temples, once was a unique style of building, which is well-know to every foreigner around the world. Don't miss it! I took many photos of this place and wish a chance to be there one more time one day!
Have good trip planning!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathyhoang
post Apr 26 2010, 03:57 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 942221

I also want to travel to Cambodia once. People told wonderful things about Cambodia, make me excited. A trip with by tuk-tuk vehicle, a interesting feel to visit majestic and sublime Angkor Wat temple... Maybe i will get out a plan to Cambodia soon.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post May 12 2010, 03:12 PM
Post #8

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

QUOTE(gemmacakebread @ Aug 22 2009, 01:17 PM) *

dont bother with tour guides!!!

We found a lovely tuk-tuk driver who provided us him, his brother and a friend (as there were a few of us) and for just $20 per tuk-tuk, they took us to angkor wat for the afternoon (after a certain time you can get a one-day ticket into the complex adn it counts for the afternoon and following day) then picked us up at 4am the next day to see the sunrise from the temple on the hill. cant remember the name for the life of me.
Then took us to all the temples at our leisure one by one, recommended where to eat etc.
Sure they didnt come round the temples with us and tell us all the history but you can get all that stuff in the tourist leaflets in restaurants and things.
This way you are not restricted to following a guide and only spending certain amounts of time at each temple. You can spend as much time as you like and just enjoy it!
Plus youll often find a random thai or cambodian man on some of the temples happily to tell you about them for no price.
After taking us round the temples, they took us back to our hotel so we could freshen up and then took us to a good local restaurant.

So just find a nice tuk-tuk driver! You may not get it as cheap as we did but you can certainly try! and itll still be worthit

I'd recommend this although it's not for everyone Some people need to have everything set up for peace of mind....Just be aware that going there and finding someone to guide you is about as easy as heading to your local supermarket for a quart of milk. You need a guide, there is one there.

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
darrenstravels
post May 16 2010, 10:38 AM
Post #9

Tourist

Member No.: 167016

There are guides galore at all the larger (main) temples at Angkor, not to mention various locals who will show you around if only to get to practice their language skills. As said before, Tuk Tuk drivers know a bit about each place, but won't go in with you (buy them a ticket though, who knows eh?).

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post May 16 2010, 03:11 PM
Post #10

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

QUOTE(darrenstravels @ May 16 2010, 11:38 AM) *

There are guides galore at all the larger (main) temples at Angkor, not to mention various locals who will show you around if only to get to practice their language skills. As said before, Tuk Tuk drivers know a bit about each place, but won't go in with you (buy them a ticket though, who knows eh?).

Ahh, now there's a good idea!You host them to something different then just driving tourists around, and in turn they share what they know, which is probably way more than any outsider so it's all good! Plus, you get to make a new friend! Our driver ended up taking us home for dinner to meet his wife and family. Lovely times. We had such a great conversation and a world-better experience then just a lift.

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 12:29 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Cambodia

Banlung Hotels
Battambang Hotels
Kampong Cham Hotels
Kampong Chhnang Hotels
Kampot Hotels
Kep Hotels
Koh Dach Hotels
Koh Kong Hotels
Koh Rong Hotels
Koh Rong Samloem Hotels
Koh Rung Hotels
Koh Ta Kiev Hotels
Koh Tonsay Hotels
Kompong Thom Hotels
Kratie (Kracheh) Hotels
Pailin Hotels
Phnom Penh Hotels
Poipet Hotels
Pursat Hotels
Ratanakiri Hotels
Roluos Hotels
Sen Monorom Hotels
Siem Reap Hotels
Sihanoukville Hotels
Sisophon Hotels
Stung Treng Hotels
Takeo Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.