Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Trip to Sarawak - fly out from Brunei ?
nikos
post Jan 31 2009, 01:32 AM
Post #1

Drifter

Group: Members
Member No.: 1140
Nominate me as a Local Expert

hi guys!
i'm planning on flying to Kuching for a 10-day trip to Sarawak, going north, doing some trips upriver, stay at longhouses and visit Niah/Mulu caves. (i hope i can make it in such a time frame!)
after that is it practical to fly out from Brunei which seem closer on the map, instead of returning to Kuching?
or perhaps do this trip in oposite way, so fly in to Brunei and out from Kuching .
previous postings mention that road transport is slow and difficult up there.
after Sarawak i'm going to Singapore, so the budget choise of flying out seems to be Kuching. Miri seems not (which is also near Mulu) and i'd avoid an extra flight Miri -KK / Kuching because i 'll have so many flights already, so better do that overland, from Mulu to exit point.
i hope this question is not very complicated! what do you suggest?
many thanks
Nikos

blink.gif
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Feb 2 2009, 12:34 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

Yes, in fact it is kind of a complicated question.

You want to know if you should go to Singapore from Kuching or Brunei?

Check these out first:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294265-....Departing.html

http://wikitravel.org/en/Singapore#Get_in

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post Feb 4 2009, 03:05 AM
Post #3

Navigator

Member No.: 98

Yeah - Brunei is a country that exists almost entirely on its coast - I don't think you'll find any roads from Mulu into Brunei.

So you'll probably need to get back to Kuching and fly from there
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Feb 4 2009, 06:17 AM
Post #4

Planet Pioneer

Member No.: 692

Air Asia fly cheaply from Miri and BSB to Kuala Lumpur. Could be an option?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
nikos
post Feb 4 2009, 11:15 AM
Post #5

Drifter

many thanks to all, guys!
well, the main problem is that Brunei connects to neighbour places only by near-the-coast roads, so no connection straight from bsb to mulu.
so, i'll work my way from kk to miri overland through bsb and fly in and out borneo with airasia from kk/kuching.
cheers
N.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Feb 4 2009, 11:30 AM
Post #6

Planet Pioneer

QUOTE(nikos @ Feb 4 2009, 04:15 PM) *

many thanks to all, guys!
well, the main problem is that Brunei connects to neighbour places only by near-the-coast roads, so no connection straight from bsb to mulu.
so, i'll work my way from kk to miri overland through bsb and fly in and out borneo with airasia from kk/kuching.
cheers
N.

That's exactly what I did a few years ago. Didn't make it to Mulu but I flew from KL to KK. From KK I took a ferry to Labaun and then joined a connecting one to Brunei. From Brunei it was easy to arrange a taxi to Miri and I caught a nightbus to Kuching from there. Flight into KK and out of Kuching with Air Asia. No problems smile.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
nikos
post Feb 4 2009, 02:51 PM
Post #7

Drifter

rich we had the same thought then!
but you didn't make it to mulu- is it difficult to find a last minute departure when you are in miri?
perhaps is it necesary to prebook everyhting from home?
i hope not, trying to find the best price-itinerary on the spot...
and also hoping this doesn't mean i have to wait around for several days or more - not so much time available
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Feb 5 2009, 05:39 AM
Post #8

Planet Pioneer

basically I ran out of time so gave up on the idea of getting to Mulu. Once I had climbed Mt Kinabalu and been to Brunei I had 2 days before the flight from Kuching!! I think it should be possible to arrange everything in Miri but Mulu is pretty out of the way and so you'll need to schedule 3-4 days to get in-and-out I reckon.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post Feb 9 2009, 01:23 AM
Post #9

Navigator

Member No.: 98

Quick answer - so not complete.

You can fly into and out of Mulu from memory. Should be able to organise that from within Sarawak or Malaysia easily and cheaper than at home. Check into it, but fairly sure one of the corrupt politicians owns a resort there and so had an airport built.

Even better than flying - you can drive from Kuching to _____ (please look this up on a map yourself. Look for the river that connects to Mulu and where it reaches the coast - that is the town).
Full day getting there, so probably organise boat tickets for the next day and sleep there.
Day 2 - local boat trip to Mulu. Interesting experience. Full day. You'll need to take a small boat for the last part of the trip.
Day 3, 4.... Explore Mulu
Boat or fly out.

It is a beautiful area. Worth visiting. But I have heard people complain it is expensive or not friendly. I haven't had that experience myself, but I always entered via the boat and I knew where I was going, so.... Maybe organise it and make it up as you go, in country. I think attempting to book it from home will cause you to end up in expensive places cut off from normal local people.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
hapis
post Feb 17 2009, 09:03 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 254950

Hi My Name Is Hapis. I Live Here In Miri. So Here Is My Suggestion. Maybe You Can Start To Explore Kuching As Your Starting Point.People Around The World Know That Sarawak Is The LAnd Of Head Hunter.You Shouldn't Be Afraid Of This.This Is Our Long Story That Are Now To Be Proud Of.

Then From Kuching You Can Take Bus To Miri Which Only Cost You RM80.It Will Take You Roughly 14 Hours As The Road System Is Quite Bad. Or Maybe You Can Take Airasia From Kch To Myy Which Cost You Around RM250.Cheaper If You Book Early.

Mulu Is A Must When You Come Here.There Is Only Two Way To Get There.One By Boat Which Take You To Several Stop Or Fly By MASWing Which Cost You Around RM400. We Have 5 Star Resort And Also Like Hostel Type There.Well Mulu Is A Must Place To Visit.Bats, Pinnacles, Canopy Walk, Penan Tribe Etc.

From Miri You Can Take Bus To Brunei Or Kota Kinabalu. The Services Has Been Launch For Several Months Where You Can Explore Many Thing On Your Way There.

Last From Brunei Or Kota Kinabalu You Can Get Direct Flight Using Tiger Airways Or Airasia.

Need Guide In Miri Why Not Call Me. I Can Bring You Around The City For About 2 1/2 Hours. I Will Charge You At RM50 dance.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
johnpeter90
post Sep 16 2011, 04:16 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 1169861

I am so excited that I have found this your post because I have been searching for some information about it almost three hours. You helped me a lot indeed and reading this your article I have found many new and useful information about this subject

Los Angeles Moving Company | Los Angeles Movers
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2014 - 07:15 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Brunei

Bandar Seri Begawan Hotels
Kampong Jerudong Hotels
Kampong Telamba Hotels
Kuala Belait Hotels
Muara Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.