Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Howdy...... :), Advice on UK and Ireland
kathryn77
post Feb 4 2009, 05:58 PM
Post #21

Vagabond

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 30044

QUOTE(tonyshez @ Feb 4 2009, 01:24 AM) *

See, to us here on Oz 3 weeks is an enormous amount of time to be driving around the place.... see, while we clearly have no concept of time (old to us is 50 yrs)... u guys dont seem to know how lucky u have it with how close and small everything is

Hi again,
I can see where you're coming from Tony, what I was trying to get at kinda fits with what you are saying...there is a lot of history in the UK & Ireland, so trying to get to see as much as possible in a short timeframe is where I think you'll find the trouble.

I was in Australia this time last year, and yeah, I did the long journeys to get places, but when you're in the middle of destinations, there's not much to stop and see...no offence smile.gif I only spent a month in Oz, but in that time I managed to get to see what I wanted to in Melbourne; Brisbane, down the east coast to Sydney, over to Perth, up to Monkey Mia...there were things I missed out, but as I was on a cheapo traveller budget at that time I wanted to last longer on my trip, so fled to Asia to survive on a cheaper budget.

Anyway, when I got home and had a job again, I decided to do a week long trip in Scotland by car - I had a new found desire to explore my own country! - given I'd been in a favela in Rio, and never yet to Loch Ness! The problem was, I found everything so pretty, and was trying to stop at all the history points along the way...it was really really difficult! I really really wished I'd had more time - it took me a whole day to drive round the Isle of Skye for example - that was beautiful. And that was just a week in Scotland...I'm factoring in for you England, Wales, Northern Ireland & ROI...

So what I'm trying to get at is, yeah we're on smaller islands...but there's more to stop and see...

I totally admire how much you are trying to get to see, I just don't want you to leave disappointed and will help with suggestions where I can - as will the others I'm sure! I think the best thing you can do is make a list of the things you definitely want to see & do, and stick to it, if there's things that are a 'maybe' and are on the way to a 'definite', then that is a bonus...you don't just have to factor in sleeping & driving, as there will be tours worthwhile doing, and sometimes included in the entrance fee to castles for example, which will take some time... ( I spent a whole day in County Meath, Ireland on Sunday...!)

...we're all just trying to be helpful here in knowing what it must be like to come here as a visitor...but with you, you're a visitor that wants to 'see more' than a normal travel guide can provide...which is great, we just want to make sure you get the time to do so smile.gif I hope that it's clear why we all keep going on about journey times...I might not be online for a few days now, as I'm going to London tomorrow and off to Barcelona for the w/e but I'll take a look when I get back...!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 06:54 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.