Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ready for a adventure
dancol
post Jan 25 2009, 07:04 AM
Post #1

Drifter

Group: Members
Member No.: 267386

Hi everyone, Im looking for some advice for travelling!!!

I wont bore you with my situation, but basically ive have come out long term realtionship , i need break of everything to start again. i think will be the perfect oppurtunity

I will roughly have about 10,000

Im looking to start travelling in November, starting in oz for 3 months then New Zealand, thailand then the states

I worried as i will be byself, i wont be able to get a working visa as i will be 34? What you think?

Any advice would be appreciated , i dont want to plan to much as, i think it will better to make it up as i go along

Thanks alot

Dan
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jan 26 2009, 10:44 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

There is some really good information in introducinlyric's Australia starter kit:
http://www.travelpod.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6793

I hope it helps you with your visa question a little.

I don't think you should be worried about being by yourself. You'll meet all kinds of people easily, especially in a place where you speak the same language.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Jan 26 2009, 03:10 PM
Post #3

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 124

Yep, definitely don't plan too much Dan, that would be pointless. 10,000 quid will give you a good run, longer if you're sensible. And yes, 34 means you won't qualify for a working holiday visa. That doesn't mean you won't be able to get a work permit anywhere though. Out of interest where are you from?

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
dancol
post Jan 26 2009, 05:08 PM
Post #4

Drifter

Hi Scott, Im from the UK, about 20 miles from London

I heard its best to go to Thailand then onto oz, which way round would you recommend?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
dancol
post Jan 26 2009, 05:11 PM
Post #5

Drifter

Cheers nice1 starlagurl!! Thanks for your help

Im defo leaving the UK in the middle of november, and cant wait!!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Jan 26 2009, 11:10 PM
Post #6

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(dancol @ Jan 27 2009, 05:08 AM) *

Hi Scott, Im from the UK, about 20 miles from London

I heard its best to go to Thailand then onto oz, which way round would you recommend?

Hey Dan,

Good to hear you're getting a taste for travel. As for which way round, it's impossible to answer straight off. It all depends on you, what sort of traveller you are, your timescales, budgets, preferences and how adaptable you are to climate and culture changes. Have you been to Asia before? How long are you planning on spending in each country, roughly? (I was born in Staffs by the way..)

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
dancol
post Jan 27 2009, 04:37 AM
Post #7

Drifter

Hi Scott, soz for the delay in each answer, its just the crazy time difference!

I have no set timescales so it can take as long or short as it likes, ive been advised about 3 months in oz, mainly down the west coast. is this correct?

,I have not backpaked before and i havent got a clue what to take, i know when travelling to europe i do take take too much stuff, so i need to get use to the minimum any advice?

im budgeting about a 1000 a month, what kind of accomadation would i get for this?

I defo want to go to thailand as well, as many of my friends have been and they are always talking on how good it is there.

i was thinking of going to the states, but now im not too sure, ive been to Vegas and ive always fancied seeing LA, but i think it could be quite expensive.

how safe is travelling around oz and thaliand, and could recommend any particular airline tickets
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
dancol
post Jan 27 2009, 04:43 AM
Post #8

Drifter

As for the weather, well nothing can be better to waking up to some sunshine. funny enough the sun is out here for the first day in weeks, what a change that makes, makes you fell like living again, shame ive got to go to work.

and as i tell my friends variety is the spice of life, so i always find new cultures interesting!!

sorry for babbaling on, just cant wait to get out fo here!!! 10 months and counting

speak soon

Dan
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
darrenstravels
post Jan 28 2009, 01:28 PM
Post #9

Tourist

Member No.: 167016

QUOTE(dancol @ Jan 27 2009, 09:37 AM) *

ive been advised about 3 months in oz, mainly down the west coast. is this correct?

,I have not backpaked before and i havent got a clue what to take, i know when travelling to europe i do take take too much stuff, so i need to get use to the minimum any advice?

im budgeting about a 1000 a month, what kind of accomadation would i get for this?

i was thinking of going to the states, but now im not too sure, ive been to Vegas and ive always fancied seeing LA, but i think it could be quite expensive.

how safe is travelling around oz and thaliand

Alright Dan?

The East Coast of Oz is the most popular route (Cairns to Sydney) with most people dropping by in Alice Springs to see Uluru. I would personally recommend the West and North Coasts as well though - it's Australia's road less traveled and is a stunning place to visit. It's no more difficult to get around than the East Coast either - just you will have to put up with far fewer dickheads!

Stuff to take? Always a top question. However everyone's opinion is different, but from my own personal experience take as little as possible - you've got it to lug it around after all. Unless you are in some remote village in the middle of the Amazon, you won't have trouble buying things anywhere. Literally - you need your passport, some money and a happy attitude, and you're sorted. Everything else you can get elsewhere. As a rough guide, I took 9kg of stuff to Oz, my girlfriend 7kg. We came back with far more than that!

Budget...1,000 a month is good. I survived on $800 a month (combined with the girlfriend) but we were camping and traveling by Campervan. We didn't go out of our way to be cheap either - when camping, it just is. There are loads of free campsites, every town in Oz has free BBQ's, there are Camp Kitchens in most national parks for free, by making your own food it's cheaper than eating out etc. From the limited time we spent in Hostels, we found it much more expensive - especially if you factor in tours or transportation. It's easy enough to buy your own car there, and even easier to fill it with other travelers who would prefer not to go on tours etc. You WILL meet a lot of like minded people.

Ultimately most of the answers come down to how you think you will travel, and what you will do. If you get private rooms in Hostels or Hotels, go on organised backpacker tours and spend a lot of time in the cities, it will be a lot more money than say camping, driving yourself around etc. I'd imagine most people do something in the middle. Regardless, you will meet a lot of people who will be doing the same thing as you.

Australia is safe. Far safer than the UK. I have no stats to back that up, only my own experience and that of my immediate family who call Oz home. Common sense is your friend of course - there are parts of the main cities where you don't want to be at 2am with a huge camera around your neck, and there are lots of pubs where you don't want to be mouthing off to the locals. But I'd say it's safe. The main concern for me was fellow travelers, who seemed to really enjoy nicking peoples gear from Hostels. I'd imagine Thailand is much the same - keep your common sense up and you'll be reet. I'm far more worried in the UK than anywhere else I've been.

As for the states - I found Vegas to be more expensive than anywhere else in the USA, with the exception of NYC. LA isn't a particularly great place to visit though - it's an absolute arse to get around, there is little to see or do, and relatively close by are far better things to do - the coast road up to San Fran, Yosemite, Death Valley to name just a few.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
skylab
post Jan 28 2009, 03:39 PM
Post #10

World Traveler

Member No.: 228012

Darren.. AWESOME reply.

--------------------
DJSkylab.com: My blog :)
ArtOfBackpacking.com: Backpacking Independent International Traveler
Facebook
"They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself." -Andy Warhol
"My body has certainly wandered a good deal, but I have an uneasy suspicion that my mind has not wandered enough." -Noel Coward
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
dancol
post Jan 28 2009, 08:15 PM
Post #11

Drifter

mate that was a reply and half!! cheers excalty what i needed!!!

But what do you mean when you say as little as poss. a few short and tshirt, couple pair of combats?

To be honest with, im going off the idea of the states, ive been there on holiday a few time and its somewhere i could go back to anytime.

How about flights, any recommondations?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Jan 28 2009, 08:49 PM
Post #12

Rolling Stone

That's very good advice, and I totally agree that it's far far safer than the UK. I can say exactly the same about Thailand. The people here are humble, honest and beautiful - it's other travellers you have to watch out for. Darrens right though, a lot of these answers can only come from you. Only you know you and how you're likely to be, travel, feel, behave etc..
QUOTE(darrenstravels @ Jan 29 2009, 01:28 AM) *
As a rough guide, I took 9kg of stuff to Oz, my girlfriend 7kg.
Marry her!

--------------------
Woz..

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Jan 28 2009, 09:03 PM
Post #13

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(dancol @ Jan 29 2009, 08:15 AM) *

mate that was a reply and half!! cheers excalty what i needed!!!

But what do you mean when you say as little as poss. a few short and tshirt, couple pair of combats?

To be honest with, im going off the idea of the states, ive been there on holiday a few time and its somewhere i could go back to anytime.

How about flights, any recommondations?

He means as little as poss. If you're going to Thailand first I'd say bring an empty 45 litre pack with literally a change of underwear, 2 t-shirts and a couple of pairs of shorts. Footwear? You'll already be wearing it. It really is that simple. But you won't do it. I'd say the same for Aus if you're arriving in the summer. Totally agree about the States.

As for flights, I took a one-wayer to New Zealand with Garuda Indonesia for 400 quid, much to the despair of many (Garuda are renowned for crashing). Cheap though.. thumbsup.png

--------------------
Woz..

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Jan 28 2009, 09:36 PM
Post #14

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 13336

He means as little as poss. If you're going to Thailand first I'd say bring an empty 45 litre pack with literally a change of underwear, 2 t-shirts and a couple of pairs of shorts. Footwear? You'll already be wearing it. It really is that simple. But you won't do it

Do it. That's the best advice you'll ever get. And no one does it! Why?

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
dancol
post Jan 29 2009, 05:39 AM
Post #15

Drifter

I tell you what mate, i AM doing it. I have sorted my house at home, and i am moving into my parents for the least amount of time as possible. I was thinking of november but i think it will have to be sooner!!!

watch this space, any decent websites to by backpacks from
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jan 29 2009, 08:45 AM
Post #16

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

Ohhhh, buy a backpack from a real store, you'll want to try it out first.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
skylab
post Jan 29 2009, 08:54 AM
Post #17

World Traveler

Member No.: 228012

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Jan 29 2009, 08:45 AM) *

Ohhhh, buy a backpack from a real store, you'll want to try it out first.

Yeap. What I thought was good online didn't really fit me well.
Also watch the size of the pack your getting. If you want to avoid checking it in, make sure its the right size for carry on luggage. There are plenty of websites out there explaining the limits of carry on luggage. The smaller the better!

I bought a 55L backpack for my 1+ year trip. I'm pretty sure this is going to be too big since I'm barely going to bring much. I know for a fact this will worry my parents that I only have few clothes in a backpack then leaving to another country lol.

--------------------
DJSkylab.com: My blog :)
ArtOfBackpacking.com: Backpacking Independent International Traveler
Facebook
"They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself." -Andy Warhol
"My body has certainly wandered a good deal, but I have an uneasy suspicion that my mind has not wandered enough." -Noel Coward
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Jan 29 2009, 09:42 AM
Post #18

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 13336

QUOTE(dancol @ Jan 29 2009, 05:39 AM) *

I tell you what mate, i AM doing it. I have sorted my house at home, and i am moving into my parents for the least amount of time as possible. I was thinking of november but i think it will have to be sooner!!!

watch this space, any decent websites to by backpacks from

Right on!
Yeap. What I thought was good online didn't really fit me well.
Also watch the size of the pack your getting. If you want to avoid checking it in, make sure its the right size for carry on luggage. There are plenty of websites out there explaining the limits of carry on luggage. The smaller the better!

I bought a 55L backpack for my 1+ year trip. I'm pretty sure this is going to be too big since I'm barely going to bring much. I know for a fact this will worry my parents that I only have few clothes in a backpack then leaving to another country lol.

There's a few good threads about backpacks. We need to pin one because this topic keeps coming up and is pretty important. A pack should fit you by measurement if you're planning on carrying it all and not breaking your back. I'm going to look up that thread and pin it and post it in here as well. Make sure you take a look......

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
dancol
post Jan 29 2009, 11:34 AM
Post #19

Drifter

i went into a local camping shop with a good reputation on the way to work, i asked for some advice about backpacks, and i got spotty teenager telling me "umm this is the one that everyone has...i think" nice

i will got back later when there is a adult around wink.gif

its was 60+10 litre pack for around 45

I will try and it on see how its feels!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
dancol
post Feb 2 2009, 09:15 AM
Post #20

Drifter

Right, im booking flights this week! or is it too ealry

If the most popular route is Cairns to Sydney, where is the best place to fliy into

Im going to Oz first for the middle of November and at some point in the New Year i will go to Thaliand, so i take its best to book flights for those too places as anywhere else is easy to get too? I take it the best

Scott, previously you said i could get a working visa in other places, are you talking about thaliand?

And also can you recommend and decent travel guides?

My friends have also told me of companies that organize stuff for you ,and as im on my own i thought this might be a good idea. Has anyone has any experiences of these

Thanks

Dan
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 02:39 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Australia

Adelaide Hotels
Airlie Beach Hotels
Albany Hotels
Albury Hotels
Alice Springs Hotels
Apollo Bay Hotels
Ballarat Hotels
Bendigo Hotels
Brisbane Hotels
Broadbeach Hotels
Broome Hotels
Byron Bay Hotels
Cairns Hotels
Caloundra Hotels
Canberra Hotels
Coffs Harbour Hotels
Coolangatta Hotels
Darwin Hotels
Hervey Bay Hotels
Hobart Hotels
Launceston Hotels
Mackay Hotels
Main Beach Hotels
Margaret River Hotels
Maroochydore Hotels
Melbourne Hotels
Mooloolaba Hotels
Newcastle Hotels
Noosa Hotels
Palm Cove Hotels
Perth Hotels
Pokolbin Hotels
Port Douglas Hotels
Port Macquarie Hotels
Rockhampton Hotels
St Kilda Hotels
Surfers Paradise Hotels
Sydney Hotels
Toowoomba Hotels
Townsville Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.