Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Florence Advice - Florence travel question
scaffrey
post Nov 18 2010, 12:57 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1482471
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Need advice!! I've never been to Italy before and I am moving to Florence for 6 months next year with my husband and 2 kids. We want to be close to Firenze, but not in the center of a big city. We'd prefer a smaller renaissance-like town with markets and restaurants and still within a 20 minute drive to Firenze. Any suggestions??
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
suz123nj
post Nov 20 2010, 08:29 PM
Post #2

Wayfarer

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 280549

QUOTE(scaffrey @ Nov 18 2010, 01:57 AM) *

Need advice!! I've never been to Italy before and I am moving to Florence for 6 months next year with my husband and 2 kids. We want to be close to Firenze, but not in the center of a big city. We'd prefer a smaller renaissance-like town with markets and restaurants and still within a 20 minute drive to Firenze. Any suggestions??

Your question is rather broad but here are a couple ideas.

I have always like the towns north in the Mugello region. Look at San Piero a Sieve, Scarperia. I think it is about 16 miles or so from Florence.

If it is too far . Look at the municipality of Fiesole there are little villages within like Compiobbu also look at Bagno a ripoli to the east.

What do you want to rent ? Are you willing to travel by train into city? What are your expectations?

Suzan
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
scaffrey
post Nov 21 2010, 05:05 PM
Post #3

Suzan--
Thank you so much for the tips! We will have a car, but would prefer to take the train when available. We are thinking a self-catering villa would be most ideal for us and our 2 kids. We are also looking into places in Tuscany, and more specifically chianti, if you have any other recommendations smile.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
scaffrey
post Nov 21 2010, 05:23 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(scaffrey @ Nov 21 2010, 05:05 PM) *

Suzan--
Thank you so much for the tips! We will have a car, but would prefer to take the train when available. We are thinking a self-catering villa would be most ideal for us and our 2 kids. We are also looking into places in Tuscany, and more specifically chianti, if you have any other recommendations smile.gif

Also... What our expectaions of our trip is a great question. We would love to rent a place close to a smaller, picturesque village where we can make daily trips to for groceries, cafes, etc. We plan to do short weekend trips all over Italy to visit my husbands relatives and see different parts of the country. We plan on cooking many meals at our place with the local products as we LOVE to cook. We have a slow place, relaxing mentality when we vacaction and want to really soak up the culture. Wine is also a very important part as we plan on doing tours through chianti and other wine regions. Any advice is greatly appreciated. It seems as though you know your way around the country
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
suz123nj
post Nov 27 2010, 05:03 PM
Post #5

Wayfarer

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 280549

Will put my head onto this and get back to you. Just finished with a wedding for my daughter and a trip down to florida for the winter. Email be at suzanroll@gmail.com amd I will get to you quicker.
Suzan
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2014 - 04:28 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.