Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Touring Routes in New Zealand
nztravelguide
post Jan 20 2009, 04:38 PM
Post #1

Pathfinder

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 72601

Although only 2050km in length, New Zealand is a very big, small country and you could tour for years without seeing everything.

Planning an itinerary depends on what pace you like to travel and what you want to see. You may be a relaxed traveller who prefers to drive a few days before stopping to explore a local town or National Park for a few more. Or you may want to travel the length and breadth of New Zealand taking in all the major tourist centres in just a month. Whatever your travelling style, New Zealand has something for everyone.
Touring Routes

New Zealand also has signposted touring routes. These are multi-day routes, supported by road signage and touring maps. Attractions, activities, and points of interest regarding New Zealand's history and heritage are highlighted on each route. You will find brochures on these travel routes in your motorhome if you haqve rented one.

The Twin Coast Discovery Highway
The Twin Coast Discovery Highway heads north from Auckland on a round trip through magical Northland taking in east and west coasts, the Bay of Islands and incredible Kauri forests. www.twincoast.co.nz

Pacific Coast Highway
The Pacific Coast Highway is quite simply stunning and takes in some of the most spectacular coastline New Zealand has to offer. It links Auckland, Coromandel, Bay of Plenty, the East Cape and the Hawke's Bay wine country. www.pacificcoast.co.nz

Thermal Explorer
The Thermal Explorer Highway will take you on a journey through the North Island's tourist hotspots, Lake Taupo, Ruapehu, Rotorua and Waikato. www.thermalnz.co.nz

The Classic New Zealand Wine Trail
The Classic New Zealand Wine Trail is just that. From Hawkes Bay, through the Wairarapa and Marlborough, this touring route will take you through New Zealand's most prestigious wine country. www.classicwinetrail.co.nz

The Treasured Pathway
The Treasured Pathway is a stunning touring route that will remain with you forever. The journey takes you through the Marlborough Sounds, into Nelson through Kahurangi National Park and on to Farewell Spit, the northern tip of the South Island.

Alpine Pacific Triangle
The Alpine Pacific Triangle is a striking touring route linking three of the South Island's recreational locations, Hanmer Springs, Kaikoura and the Waipara Valley. www.hurunui.com

The Inland Scenic 72 Route
If empty highways are your thing, then the Inland Scenic Route 72 is a perfect choice. The journey will take you from Amberley in North Canterbury, along State Highway 72, inland past the Mt Hutt ski fields and through rural New Zealand to Geraldine and Winchester where it links back up with State Highway 1.

Southern Scenic Route
The Southern Scenic route will take you through some of New Zealand's most rugged yet beautiful coastline and country. From Te Anau, nestled in the grandeur of the Southern Alps, along the wild south coast, finishing up in Dunedin. www.SouthernScenicRoute.co.nz
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nztravelguide
post Jan 20 2009, 08:12 PM
Post #2

Pathfinder

Member No.: 72601

Oops! My spelling errors again - TOURING ROUTES............sorry
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jan 21 2009, 08:52 AM
Post #3

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

Just a typo. Don't worry, I fixed it for you.

If you click Edit --> Full Edit, you can fix it yourself next time.

Thanks again for all your new ideas, Ron.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
skylab
post Jan 21 2009, 10:48 AM
Post #4

World Traveler

Group: Members
Member No.: 228012

Very nice.
I been doing heavy thinking on campervans. I guess I'll make a final decision once I get there.

--------------------
DJSkylab.com: My blog :)
ArtOfBackpacking.com: Backpacking Independent International Traveler
Facebook
"They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself." -Andy Warhol
"My body has certainly wandered a good deal, but I have an uneasy suspicion that my mind has not wandered enough." -Noel Coward
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th September 2014 - 12:34 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in New Zealand

Akaroa Hotels
Arrowtown Hotels
Auckland Hotels
Blenheim Hotels
Christchurch Hotels
Coromandel Hotels
Dunedin Hotels
Fox Glacier Hotels
Franz Josef Hotels
Gisborne Hotels
Greymouth Hotels
Hamilton Hotels
Hanmer Springs Hotels
Hastings Hotels
Hokitika Hotels
Invercargill Hotels
Kaikoura Hotels
Kerikeri Hotels
Lake Tekapo Hotels
Mangere Hotels
Napier Hotels
Nelson Hotels
New Plymouth Hotels
Oamaru Hotels
Paihia Hotels
Palmerston North Hotels
Picton Hotels
Queenstown Hotels
Rotorua Hotels
Russell Hotels
Taupo Hotels
Tauranga Hotels
Te Anau Hotels
Timaru Hotels
Waiheke Island Hotels
Wanaka Hotels
Wanganui Hotels
Wellington Hotels
Whangarei Hotels
Whitianga Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.