Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> India Starter Kit, My experience
partha.desarkar
post Jan 17 2009, 12:16 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 219301

INTRODUCTION

I began traveling when I was 10 with my father who was, by profession
a chartered accountant and by choice a renowned children’s story writer of Bengali literature. His one passion was to tour India by car in 1950s and 60s when traveling by road was an adventure by itself. My first introduction to wildlife was when we went to Madhya Pradesh in 1954 and forests were such that seeing a leopard or a python crossing the road was not rare. After our trips to Kashmir and Himachal in 1956, the Great Himalayas became my passion.
Later I joined Indian Air Force and I was stationed all over India and at a few embassies abroad. This allowed me to pursue my passion, travel. More I saw India, more I realized that India is a great attraction to tourists, domestic and foreign.

*Bountiful India*

India has to its north the Greatest Mountain Range the Himalayas, stretching from Ladakh in north to Arunachal Pradesh in the east. The Himalayas is among the most attractive and challenging destinations in the world. Mountaineering, trekking, rafting and leisure holidays in
> the Himalayas can be real thrill. India has on its west, south and east, the bays and ocean and here lays India’s island destinations, emerald and green with golden sand. The Andamans and the Lakshadweep are nothing short of South Pacific in beauty but less crowded and gives more breathing space for the travelers who come to relax or scuba dive or surf. Being ringed by sea on three sides, India has some exquisite beaches in Goa, Kerala, Orissa and West Bengal; some of these are still virgins. Tea gardens of the Darjeeling hills and Dooars has opened a new vista called “Tea Tourism”.

WILDLIFE
Nowhere on earth, except in Africa, is wildlife so varied. It is so because wilderness spreads from the Sunderbans on the delta of the Ganga to Dachigam, Ladakh, Namdhapa and many more up in Himalayan height. Wildlife varies with change of terrain. The Royal Bengal Tiger
to Indian Lion to One Horned Rhino to Wild Ass and Snow and Clouded Leopards, Himalayan Mountain Goats, the Largest Estuarine Crocodile mix with more common mammals, amphibians, reptiles and avian. Birdlife is prolific with migratory birds joining Indian ones.

HERITAGE AND CIVILIZATION
Indian civilization has its root since Bronze Age of Harrapan cities that can be seen at Lothal near Ahmedabad in Gujarat to extravaganza of Khajuraho where love and lovemaking are sculpted into stone, Konark, Belur, Meenakshi Temple, Mahabalipuram, Sanchi, Ajanta and Ellora with Mandu, Fatehpur Sikri, Agra and Delhi Forts etc epitomize Indian architecture and sculptures. And Taj Mahal is the ultimate of human creation.

Many more can be written of this awesome country and all visitors are overwhelmed by its potentiality of tourist destinations but its true spirit is Indian people. Colourful festivals and more colourful tribal people attract hundreds and thousands of travelers to India.

Last but not the least, the Great Indian Desert awaits you and a stay in Camel camp is a life time experience. So is a journey through desert on Royal Chariot or Palace on Wheels.

*India** Welcomes You*
Your Indian sojourn could be of a few days to a few weeks stretching to a few months but you must have a planned itinerary. You must be clear in your mind to what kind of destination you want to cover during your holidays and what is permitted by your budget. If you are flying from destination to destination, you can cover more destinations though it is costlier and all destinations are not connected by air though most of the attractive places have an airport within a few hours drive.

India has a large rail net work and from northern tip to southern tip or from western most destinations to eastern most destinations can be covered in thirty hours but since in between will be places of interest, you should plan only single night journey by train. Train journey is definitely cheaper than air travel.

Though India is fast developing fine roadways, yet it is advisable to use train/air as mode of travel where these are available. Hill journeys will, of course, be by bus or taxi.

Though cash and travelers’ cheque will be your main mode of carrying funds, carry just adequate cash and rest as travelers’ cheque. Credit cards are popular,too.

WHERE TO STAY

Indian destinations offer accommodation ranging from 5 star hotels to home-stay facilities. Your budget will decide where you will prefer to stay. In far flung places like Lahaul, Spiti, even in Ladakh or Northeast hills you should stay with local people to enjoy hospitality of India and experience how India lives in such far off places. Goa, too, has home stay facilities and you can peep into Indo-Portuguese culture if you stay in home-stay there.

WHAT TO EAT

Food in hotels is safe and so is water as most hotels use water filter but if you are fussy, enough mineral water is available. When eating at dhabas or any roadside eateries, always prefer steaming hot dishes to avoid Indian tummy. Depend on fruits which are bountiful in India if you find too much spice troubling you initially.

ETIQUETTES

In India, you will be visiting many temples to see their architectures and rituals; you will visit places of worship of the Sikhs, Muslims, Christians, Buddhists and Jains. Each religion and each temple or place of worship has its own rules. Try to be informed of such rules before hand and adhere to these. Never hurt a religious feeling. Elders are treated with reverence still.

FRIENDLY INDIANS

Indians are basically very friendly. So when in doubt, go up to anyone and ask to clear your doubts. Be careful of total strangers with your valuables and after dark, don’t be in an isolated place, especially in north India.

To end my briefing I shall say “Come to India, see a great country, like me hundreds are there to guide you to plan your visit and see my country.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jan 19 2009, 11:03 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

That's a very nice starter kit, Partha, thank you.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
joepace
post Oct 7 2010, 12:38 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 102444

QUOTE(partha.desarkar @ Jan 17 2009, 12:16 AM) *

INTRODUCTION

I began traveling when I was 10 with my father who was, by profession
a chartered accountant and by choice a renowned children’s story writer of Bengali literature. His one passion was to tour India by car in 1950s and 60s when traveling by road was an adventure by itself. My first introduction to wildlife was when we went to Madhya Pradesh in 1954 and forests were such that seeing a leopard or a python crossing the road was not rare. After our trips to Kashmir and Himachal in 1956, the Great Himalayas became my passion.
Later I joined Indian Air Force and I was stationed all over India and at a few embassies abroad. This allowed me to pursue my passion, travel. More I saw India, more I realized that India is a great attraction to tourists, domestic and foreign.

*Bountiful India*

India has to its north the Greatest Mountain Range the Himalayas, stretching from Ladakh in north to Arunachal Pradesh in the east. The Himalayas is among the most attractive and challenging destinations in the world. Mountaineering, trekking, rafting and leisure holidays in
> the Himalayas can be real thrill. India has on its west, south and east, the bays and ocean and here lays India’s island destinations, emerald and green with golden sand. The Andamans and the Lakshadweep are nothing short of South Pacific in beauty but less crowded and gives more breathing space for the travelers who come to relax or scuba dive or surf. Being ringed by sea on three sides, India has some exquisite beaches in Goa, Kerala, Orissa and West Bengal; some of these are still virgins. Tea gardens of the Darjeeling hills and Dooars has opened a new vista called “Tea Tourism”.

WILDLIFE
Nowhere on earth, except in Africa, is wildlife so varied. It is so because wilderness spreads from the Sunderbans on the delta of the Ganga to Dachigam, Ladakh, Namdhapa and many more up in Himalayan height. Wildlife varies with change of terrain. The Royal Bengal Tiger
to Indian Lion to One Horned Rhino to Wild Ass and Snow and Clouded Leopards, Himalayan Mountain Goats, the Largest Estuarine Crocodile mix with more common mammals, amphibians, reptiles and avian. Birdlife is prolific with migratory birds joining Indian ones.

HERITAGE AND CIVILIZATION
Indian civilization has its root since Bronze Age of Harrapan cities that can be seen at Lothal near Ahmedabad in Gujarat to extravaganza of Khajuraho where love and lovemaking are sculpted into stone, Konark, Belur, Meenakshi Temple, Mahabalipuram, Sanchi, Ajanta and Ellora with Mandu, Fatehpur Sikri, Agra and Delhi Forts etc epitomize Indian architecture and sculptures. And Taj Mahal is the ultimate of human creation.

Many more can be written of this awesome country and all visitors are overwhelmed by its potentiality of tourist destinations but its true spirit is Indian people. Colourful festivals and more colourful tribal people attract hundreds and thousands of travelers to India.

Last but not the least, the Great Indian Desert awaits you and a stay in Camel camp is a life time experience. So is a journey through desert on Royal Chariot or Palace on Wheels.

*India** Welcomes You*
Your Indian sojourn could be of a few days to a few weeks stretching to a few months but you must have a planned itinerary. You must be clear in your mind to what kind of destination you want to cover during your holidays and what is permitted by your budget. If you are flying from destination to destination, you can cover more destinations though it is costlier and all destinations are not connected by air though most of the attractive places have an airport within a few hours drive.

India has a large rail net work and from northern tip to southern tip or from western most destinations to eastern most destinations can be covered in thirty hours but since in between will be places of interest, you should plan only single night journey by train. Train journey is definitely cheaper than air travel.

Though India is fast developing fine roadways, yet it is advisable to use train/air as mode of travel where these are available. Hill journeys will, of course, be by bus or taxi.

Though cash and travelers’ cheque will be your main mode of carrying funds, carry just adequate cash and rest as travelers’ cheque. Credit cards are popular,too.

WHERE TO STAY

Indian destinations offer accommodation ranging from 5 star hotels to home-stay facilities. Your budget will decide where you will prefer to stay. In far flung places like Lahaul, Spiti, even in Ladakh or Northeast hills you should stay with local people to enjoy hospitality of India and experience how India lives in such far off places. Goa, too, has home stay facilities and you can peep into Indo-Portuguese culture if you stay in home-stay there.

WHAT TO EAT

Food in hotels is safe and so is water as most hotels use water filter but if you are fussy, enough mineral water is available. When eating at dhabas or any roadside eateries, always prefer steaming hot dishes to avoid Indian tummy. Depend on fruits which are bountiful in India if you find too much spice troubling you initially.

ETIQUETTES

In India, you will be visiting many temples to see their architectures and rituals; you will visit places of worship of the Sikhs, Muslims, Christians, Buddhists and Jains. Each religion and each temple or place of worship has its own rules. Try to be informed of such rules before hand and adhere to these. Never hurt a religious feeling. Elders are treated with reverence still.

FRIENDLY INDIANS

Indians are basically very friendly. So when in doubt, go up to anyone and ask to clear your doubts. Be careful of total strangers with your valuables and after dark, don’t be in an isolated place, especially in north India.

To end my briefing I shall say “Come to India, see a great country, like me hundreds are there to guide you to plan your visit and see my country.

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sonamc2012
post Mar 1 2012, 02:29 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 2706263

thanks for this nice starter
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 09:13 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in India

Agra Hotels
Ahmedabad Hotels
Alappuzha Hotels
Amritsar Hotels
Bangalore Hotels
Bardez Hotels
Bhubaneswar Hotels
Calangute Hotels
Candolim Hotels
Chennai (Madras) Hotels
Darjeeling Hotels
Gangtok Hotels
Goa Hotels
Gurgaon Hotels
Haridwar Hotels
Hyderabad Hotels
Indore Hotels
Jaipur Hotels
Jaisalmer Hotels
Jodhpur Hotels
Kochi Hotels
Kodaikanal Hotels
Kolkata (Calcutta) Hotels
Kovalam Hotels
Manali Hotels
Mumbai (Bombay) Hotels
Munnar Hotels
Mussoorie Hotels
Mysore Hotels
Nainital Hotels
New Delhi Hotels
Ootacamund Hotels
Pondicherry Hotels
Pune Hotels
Salcette Hotels
Shimla Hotels
Srinagar Hotels
Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum) Hotels
Udaipur Hotels
Varanasi Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.