Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> FREE--Thailand Visa Fee, Promototion only 3 months effective Mar-June 09
lunthom
post Jan 14 2009, 08:25 PM
Post #1

Nomad

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103052

Hi all,

For a while I have not access here since I'm very busy so now I have the news to update you all .....

Start next week to 3 months Thailand Visa Fee waive for you
to promote visiting Thailand and many hotels and air fair decrease as well.

Let 's go to Thailand

Short cut the news info from www.mcot.net
"Deputy government Spokesman Puttipong Punnakan said the economic ministerial meeting had approved the waiving of all visa fees for three months, to help tourism. "
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Jan 14 2009, 10:07 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 124

Good to see you back Lunthom. Busy in Bangkok eh?

Please tell us more on the visa news if you can..

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lunthom
post Jan 14 2009, 10:29 PM
Post #3

Nomad

yes, for my working .

Now I got the news this morning when you apply the Thia visa all around the world you will not pay the Visa fee like in the past this period is only 3 months during 19.1.09 to 19.4.09.

BTW, I will find the English news to you later as long as I can.

PS: the weather in Thailand is very cold which it have not happened before for 50 years.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Jan 15 2009, 04:50 AM
Post #4

Planet Pioneer

Member No.: 692

How cold? Just looked at the weather forecast for today in BKK and it's 32C! That's not cold!!!!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
curt1591
post Jan 15 2009, 04:59 AM
Post #5

Explorer

Group: Members
Member No.: 65820

QUOTE(rbisset @ Jan 15 2009, 02:50 AM) *

How cold? Just looked at the weather forecast for today in BKK and it's 32C! That's not cold!!!!

The nights are getting down into the teens. When one is acclimated to the more typical temps, that's cold!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Jan 15 2009, 05:09 AM
Post #6

Planet Pioneer

I wish it would get up to the teens in the day time here!! brr.gif 5C at the moment which is positively tropical compared to last week!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Jan 15 2009, 05:11 AM
Post #7

Rolling Stone

It's no joke Rich, it's been getting pretty chilly round Phuket this last week too (NOT that I'm complaining!) Someone told me last night your neck of the woods has been having the coldest winter in 50 years. Is that right?

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Jan 15 2009, 05:42 AM
Post #8

Planet Pioneer

Probably right. It was the coldest December for a long time. Had snow in the SE before Christmas for the first time in years!! A week or so ago it didn't get above 0C all week.

To be honest it hasn't been that bad really. It's been cold but dry which to me is a lot better than wet and windy. I think it rained yesterday for about the first time in 2 months so give it a month or so and there'll be drought warnings again......

Sidenote: Congrats on passing your course. Looking at the picture you seem to have somehow ended up with an almost entire class of women to teach.....

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jan 15 2009, 08:38 AM
Post #9

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

Lunthom or anyone, how much does a visa usually cost?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
skylab
post Jan 15 2009, 08:44 AM
Post #10

World Traveler

Member No.: 228012

TOURISM PROPOSALS

Waive visa fees, cut air fares: Tourism and Sports Ministry

The Tourism and Sports Ministry has submitted 13 tourism recovery measures for government approval. The proposals include waiving visa fees, cutting air fares, and reducing airport charges.

Minister Chumpol Silapa-Archa said the proposed measures were handed to the government's economic team yesterday.

"The ministry has compiled [the measures] from the needs and proposals from the private sector," Chumpol said.

The tourism industry, which normally generates about 6-8 per cent of gross domestic product, is suffering from the global economic crisis and last year's eight-day closure of Bangkok's two commercial airports.

Among the measures proposed to revive sector, the ministry will urge Thai Airways International and other carriers to cut fares by 50 per cent to encourage more advanced bookings.

It is also urging the government to waive visa fees for tourists from all countries for six months, with a possible extension of a further six months.

The ministry has also asked the government to reduce value-added tax on hotel room rates for one year, and Airports of Thailand to reduce landing and parking fees at the country's international airports in a bid to persuade more airlines to restore their Thai operations.

Other measures would require government organisations to adjust their budgets for outside meetings and seminars so as to boost domestic tourism, plus a proposal that private companies' tax refunds for meetings and conferences be doubled.

Moreover, hotel operators have asked for an exemption from the annual fee of Bt80 per room they have to pay to the Revenue Department.

Banks, meanwhile, will be encouraged to extend debt-repayment periods for operators in the tourism sector for three years.

The Ministry also plans to promote the major destinations of Phuket, Krabi, and Phang Nga for local tourism by reducing airport taxes and surcharges.

In addition, all national parks should play their part by waiving entrance fees for three years.

The government has also been urged to help workers in the tourism sector, which faces a high risk of increased job losses.

Chumpol said the Ministry would seek an additional budget from the government to assist the tourism sector.

The Cabinet on Tuesday approved Bt1 billion to help tourism and related businesses, but more funding was needed to support the recovery effort.

Prakit Chinamourphong, President of the Thai Hotels Association, said three- and four-star hotels planned to discount room rates by 50 per cent for people visiting the country in February and March.

Among the main target markets are China, India, the Middle East, Singapore, Hong Kong, South Korea, and Japan.

Shopping centres and tourist attractions in Bangkok and other key destinations are also supporting the tourism-recovery campaign.

Most hotels in Bangkok and other major tourist cities are running at lower-than-usual occupancy rates following the airport closures.

New promotion and marketing activities in both local and overseas markets are also planned.

- The Nation / 2009-01-15

--------------------
DJSkylab.com: My blog :)
ArtOfBackpacking.com: Backpacking Independent International Traveler
Facebook
"They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself." -Andy Warhol
"My body has certainly wandered a good deal, but I have an uneasy suspicion that my mind has not wandered enough." -Noel Coward
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
skylab
post Jan 15 2009, 08:44 AM
Post #11

World Traveler

Fees of 3 months' visas slashed

The Council of Economic Ministers ruled to slash fees for all kinds of visas for foreingers visiting the country for three months, effective on January 20.

Deputy Spokesman of Prime Minister's Office Mr. Puttipong Punnakan (พุทธิพงษ์ ปุณณกันต์) revealed that a meeting of the Council of Economic Ministers on Wednesday (January 14) consented to slash fees for all kinds of visas for foreigners visiting the country for three months, effective on January 20.

Regarding damages from recent closure of Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang airports following blockade of People's Alliance for Democracy, the meeting instructed Ministry of Foreign Affairs to collect details of damages to be presented to the Cabinet's meeting on January 20.

Meanwhile, the meeting would reconsider later suggestion by tourism business entrepreneurs who asked the government to provide soft loans for them and reduce taxes on buildings, hotels and accommodation rooms.

Besides, the economic ministers also instructed government agencies to host seminars and studying activities to the country place of foreign countries. They also instructed the National Statistical Office and the National Economic and Social Development Board to collect information and fees relating to tourism, such as parking fees of aircrafts, in order to be presented to the Cabinet to consider to reduce fees.

In addition, the meeting instructed Ministry of Transport to seek measures to prevent airports' closure from recurring. Ministry of Tourism and Sports was instructed to negotiate for cooperation with airliners to reduce ticket fares to help turning around local tourism.

Source: National News Bureau of Thailand - 15 January 2009

--------------------
Facebook
"They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself." -Andy Warhol
"My body has certainly wandered a good deal, but I have an uneasy suspicion that my mind has not wandered enough." -Noel Coward
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
skylab
post Jan 15 2009, 08:58 AM
Post #12

World Traveler

Well that sucks for me! I'll be Thailand around August/September so I won't be getting that promotion :/

--------------------
Facebook
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Jan 15 2009, 10:12 AM
Post #13

Planet Pioneer

You should get a 30 day visa free anyway.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Jan 15 2009, 04:36 PM
Post #14

Rolling Stone

They've hacked the trusty 30 down to 15, this is one of the current issues. By 'visa' I think they're talking about the tourist or non-immigrant jobbies. It's all up in the air at the moment but everyone's fingers are crossed tightly. My 120 day visa runs out end of Feb, so there's still time yet yes.gif
QUOTE(rbisset @ Jan 15 2009, 05:42 PM) *
Sidenote: Congrats on passing your course. Looking at the picture you seem to have somehow ended up with an almost entire class of women to teach.....
Cheers for the congrats by the way, and er... nice 'observation'.. whistle.png

--------------------
Woz..

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jan 26 2009, 11:17 AM
Post #15

Rolling Stone

If you are from Poland, all I can see is that you can get a visa on arrival at the airport:
http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2491

I'm not sure how much it would cost you.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jan 26 2009, 12:10 PM
Post #16

Rolling Stone

Well, I trust what lunthom says, she is reliable.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jan 26 2009, 01:07 PM
Post #17

Rolling Stone

I know you're not saying that. Anybody been recently?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Jan 26 2009, 02:24 PM
Post #18

Rolling Stone

I'm here. Still haven't heard anything. Officially it hasn't started yet. Diveata if you're arriving on 4th Feb I wouldn't hold your breath.

I'll post here the minute something happens..

--------------------
Woz..

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jan 26 2009, 02:21 PM
Post #19

Rolling Stone

OK good. Thanks Scott!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lunthom
post Jan 26 2009, 08:27 PM
Post #20

Nomad

QUOTE(diveata @ Jan 26 2009, 12:25 PM) *

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Jan 26 2009, 12:10 PM) *

Well, I trust what lunthom says, she is reliable.

I'm not saying, I don't trust her. I also saw many articles in the internet, confirming free visas. I only wanted to know if somebody chcecked it personally. It might be like this, that Thai government decided one thing, but airport officers are doing the other thing, selling visas for 1000 THB wink.gif

I read and updated that from News anyway I just called Tourist of Thailand they said that it 'sstill in process for approving and give me the No of Immigration 66 02 2873101-10 , firstly I will check and post for you but now it's not the working hours.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...or-all-tourists
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2014 - 07:08 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Thailand

Ayutthaya Hotels
Bangkok Hotels
Cha-am Hotels
Chaweng Hotels
Chiang Mai Hotels
Chiang Rai Hotels
Chon Buri Hotels
Hat Yai Hotels
Hua Hin Hotels
Kanchanaburi Hotels
Kathu Hotels
Khao Lak Hotels
Khon Kaen Hotels
Ko Lanta Hotels
Ko Phangan Hotels
Ko Phi Phi Don Hotels
Ko Tao Hotels
Krabi Hotels
Lampang Hotels
Loei Hotels
Mae Hong Son Hotels
Nakorn Ratchasima Hotels
Nakorn Si Thammarat Hotels
Narathiwat Hotels
Nonthaburi Hotels
Pai Hotels
Patong Hotels
Pattaya Hotels
Phangnga Hotels
Phetchaburi Hotels
Phitsanulok Hotels
Rawai Hotels
Rayong Hotels
Songkhla Hotels
Sukhothai Hotels
Surat Thani Hotels
Tak Hotels
Trang Hotels
Trat Hotels
Udon Thani Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.