Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

> Simple questions about Thailand, from a simple minded guy
darrenstravels
post Jan 12 2009, 12:34 PM
Post #1

Tourist

Group: Members
Member No.: 167016

Hello,

I've a few questions about Central and Northern Thailand, and I would appreciate those who know the country well if they could offer up some advice.

* The Train Network

Outside of public holidays, how busy does it get? Am I likely to be able to get a ticket a few hours before it goes, to popular places like Bangkok to Chiang Mai or from Nong Khai to Bangkok? Would it better to book ahead by a few days?

* Booking things ahead - i.e. whilst in the UK still

I'm looking at being there for most of May, I doubt very much I will be going off the tourist route too far (if at all), I'm a (first time) solo traveler who doesn't care too much about accommodation as long as I can get some sleep and wake up with my bags still there in the morning. Will I be able to find ample accommodation at that time? I don't want to book ahead as I don't like the idea of having to keep to a schedule....but at the same time I don't want to have to search for three hours to find a bed in a cesspit.

* Experience with Air Asia?

At the end of the trip I have to make a trip over to Bali, and I'd be doing it with Air Asia. Thoughts on this airline? I don't care for comfort, facilities or service, but I do care that my flight (and airline) will still be running, as I cant be late in Bali, at all. Also, I'd have to fly back to Bangkok to get my flight home to the UK as one way tickets are proper expensive.

I think that's it really. I like the idea of doing things on the spur, but I am also tainted by previous bad experiences that mean I now need reassuring that I can do the above fairly simply. If im honest, I think I know the answers to the above, but like most people attempting to step out of their comfort zone, I also need reassuring too.

Thanks guys,
Darren

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
darrenstravels   Simple questions about Thailand   Jan 12 2009, 12:34 PM
wakingdream   Hey Darren, Well, if you're traveling in May,...   Jan 12 2009, 05:39 PM
ScottWoz   Mate, You'll have absolutely no problems, non...   Jan 12 2009, 08:24 PM
darrenstravels   Now they are what I call helpful replies! Tha...   Jan 14 2009, 02:54 PM
ScottWoz   Good to hear the grin's stretching wide D, and...   Jan 14 2009, 03:09 PM
wakingdream   Yup. Scott's right. It will fall all into plac...   Jan 14 2009, 08:34 PM
lunthom   yes, you do no need to reserve the train ticket ,...   Jan 14 2009, 08:43 PM
Paul   Yeah, I am pretty much going to agree with everyon...   Jan 16 2009, 07:27 AM
skylab   Now I'm wondering about the same questions but...   Jan 16 2009, 08:05 AM
skylab   Hey Scott, how long will you be in Thailand for?   Jan 16 2009, 08:40 AM
ScottWoz   Agree on the 2nd class sleeper theory. I've t...   Jan 16 2009, 11:07 PM
Paul   Same answers for August.   Jan 16 2009, 07:53 PM
wickyjennings   I'm going to be around Thailand from June, wit...   Jan 17 2009, 06:51 AM
lunthom   I'm going to be around Thailand from June, wi...   Jan 18 2009, 08:20 PM
travelmonster   Hi Wicky, I don't know the answer to your que...   Jan 17 2009, 03:39 PM
ScottWoz   Agreed. I spent last June/July around Krabi, Koh ...   Jan 19 2009, 10:04 PM
wakingdream   Agreed. I spent last June/July around Krabi, Koh...   Jan 20 2009, 09:05 AM
wakingdream   Hey Darren, check this out too; THAI cut domestic...   Jan 21 2009, 10:02 AM
darrenstravels   Oh sweet, thanks for that. I originally checked o...   Jan 21 2009, 05:39 PM
wakingdream   Oh sweet, thanks for that. I originally checked ...   Jan 22 2009, 10:10 AM

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 11:06 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Thailand

Ayutthaya Hotels
Bangkok Hotels
Cha-am Hotels
Chaweng Hotels
Chiang Mai Hotels
Chiang Rai Hotels
Chon Buri Hotels
Hat Yai Hotels
Hua Hin Hotels
Kanchanaburi Hotels
Kathu Hotels
Khao Lak Hotels
Khon Kaen Hotels
Ko Lanta Hotels
Ko Phangan Hotels
Ko Phi Phi Don Hotels
Ko Tao Hotels
Krabi Hotels
Lampang Hotels
Loei Hotels
Mae Hong Son Hotels
Nakorn Ratchasima Hotels
Nakorn Si Thammarat Hotels
Narathiwat Hotels
Nonthaburi Hotels
Pai Hotels
Patong Hotels
Pattaya Hotels
Phangnga Hotels
Phetchaburi Hotels
Phitsanulok Hotels
Rawai Hotels
Rayong Hotels
Songkhla Hotels
Sukhothai Hotels
Surat Thani Hotels
Tak Hotels
Trang Hotels
Trat Hotels
Udon Thani Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.