Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Transport on own to Bangkok from cruise - Laem Chabang / Bangkok travel question
sabtotravel
post Oct 26 2010, 08:27 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1425381

How to catch bus at Laem Chabang cruise terminal for Bangkok?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
koonel
post Oct 29 2010, 07:55 PM
Post #2

Wayfarer

Group: Members
Member No.: 1111301

QUOTE(sabtotravel @ Oct 26 2010, 09:27 AM) *

How to catch bus at Laem Chabang cruise terminal for Bangkok?

Not easy sometimes. Transportation from ship to the front gate is not cheap, unless your ship has scheduled some sort of transportation. Laem Chabang is not far from Pattaya, a seaside city that is popular with tourists. A bus from Bangkok to Pattaya (around 2 hours) is under 120 baht for the ride. Often these buses go by Laem Chabang. But local transportation just from the ship to the front gate is almost criminal. Be thankful you are not on a small freighter or other working docked ship, they can pay around 1000 baht just to get to the front gate. Check with your ship and see what transportation they provide. I think the nearest big bus stop might be Siracha. Or go to Pattaya and see that city then go to Bangkok.

It all depends on how much time you have. If it is only a few hours then go with tours arranged by the cruise line. Several days then you have more time to make decisions. By taxi from Laem Chabang to Bangkok is around 1.5 hours. To Pattaya less than 20 minutes.
http://www.pattayabus.com/en/station_locator.htm
http://www.thaiwaysmagazine.com/pattaya_ma...ap_pattaya.html

From Pattaya (20 minute ride away) local buses to Bangkok are around 120 baht. Bus station in Pattaya is on North Pattaya Road. Dedicated private taxis start at 800 baht in Pattaya City. Bell Travel also runs a bus service from the bus station at Pattaya. I have never had to leave from the Laem Chabang area but questions on "transportation" from Laem Chabang come up often with no real feedback.

I think you must hope that your cruise line works in your favor and provides free or reasonably priced transportation. A similar distance from the front gate of the shipyard to your ship would only cost 10 baht in Pattaya, around one third US dollar!

Talking to a local Thai citizen who works at Laem Chabang gave me most of the information concerning local transportation from the ship to the front gate. Make sure your ship explains what identification is required to enter and leave the shipyard. Also, if you are into biking you could use a bicycle to get to the front gate. A new cheap bike in Pattaya is around 1000 baht (single speed.) Talking to my Thai source (does IT work at the shipyard) he has noticed tourists from ships using their own bicycles. Security is tight at the shipyard, so I have been told.

Local Expat forum that might be useful:
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/

Good luck.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 04:12 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Thailand

Ayutthaya Hotels
Bangkok Hotels
Cha-am Hotels
Chaweng Hotels
Chiang Mai Hotels
Chiang Rai Hotels
Chon Buri Hotels
Hat Yai Hotels
Hua Hin Hotels
Kanchanaburi Hotels
Kathu Hotels
Khao Lak Hotels
Khon Kaen Hotels
Ko Lanta Hotels
Ko Phangan Hotels
Ko Phi Phi Don Hotels
Ko Tao Hotels
Krabi Hotels
Lampang Hotels
Loei Hotels
Mae Hong Son Hotels
Nakorn Ratchasima Hotels
Nakorn Si Thammarat Hotels
Narathiwat Hotels
Nonthaburi Hotels
Pai Hotels
Patong Hotels
Pattaya Hotels
Phangnga Hotels
Phetchaburi Hotels
Phitsanulok Hotels
Rawai Hotels
Rayong Hotels
Songkhla Hotels
Sukhothai Hotels
Surat Thani Hotels
Tak Hotels
Trang Hotels
Trat Hotels
Udon Thani Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.