Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Divorce in Bhutan
wakingdream
post Dec 26 2008, 10:31 PM
Post #1

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

When I think of Bhutan, being predominantly Buddhist, I think of a peaceful paradise where family life is much more harmonious than many other countries. I was surprised to read that in Thimpu, divorce is very common, even though the article reads that Bhutan is urbanising much more slowly than its neighbors.

Bhutanese take divorce in their stride

"The divorce case is very, very common. If you go to the court, you will see most of the cases are all on divorce."

Why do you think divorce is reaching higher levels in Bhutan? Do you think Buddhists in Bhutan are more intolerant of the unpleasant nature of failing marriages?

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
travelmonster
post Dec 29 2008, 03:04 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 101826

This quote on the article:

"In Bhutan basically marriage is very mutual and practical"

Passang Dorji

Says it all for me - there are numerous reasons for marrying someone and because it's 'practical' wouldn't work for me.

--------------------
In Search Of ...........

"Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment sparkling like a star in our hand -- and melting like a snowflake" - Marie Beynon Ray
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Dec 29 2008, 08:34 PM
Post #3

Rolling Stone

Says it all for me - there are numerous reasons for marrying someone and because it's 'practical' wouldn't work for me.

You said it. Me either. I am practical in alot of things, but not love. Nuh-uh. Love is love, practical is lists.

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jan 6 2009, 02:06 PM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

I'm confused, why shouldn't marriage be practical?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
travelmonster
post Jan 6 2009, 03:52 PM
Post #5

Rolling Stone

It just wouldn't work for me. Being practical is something that would come into say buying a car - how many miles to the gallon does it do? How much will it cost to tax it? Insure it? etc., but trying to relate that to a marriage - I just don't see how it would work. People grow and change, if you marry someone for practical reasons and then suddenly they don't do 'that many miles to the gallon' anymore for whatever reason, whats left?

Nope, love is the way forward with marriage for me.

--------------------
In Search Of ...........

"Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment sparkling like a star in our hand -- and melting like a snowflake" - Marie Beynon Ray
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jan 7 2009, 10:21 AM
Post #6

Rolling Stone

Oh, I see, but can't it be both? Can't you help each other out? That's part of being practical I think.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
travelmonster
post Jan 7 2009, 04:12 PM
Post #7

Rolling Stone

Helping each other out I just assume to be part of any relationship, married or not.

--------------------
In Search Of ...........

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jan 7 2009, 04:13 PM
Post #8

Rolling Stone

Isn't that practical then? I'm confused on this one.

Are you saying don't choose your spouse *just* because it's practical? Because that would make sense.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
travelmonster
post Jan 7 2009, 04:20 PM
Post #9

Rolling Stone

I don't understand how helping someone would be practical? Me and John just help each other because we want to. Actually I help friends out to - and strangers if I see they need something - What I'm saying I suppose is that I don't see helping someone in the same category as being practical.

--------------------
In Search Of ...........

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jan 7 2009, 04:21 PM
Post #10

Rolling Stone

I dunno, if your spouse trusts you and knows you will help them, and you trust them and know that they will help you, that seems practical to me.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
travelmonster
post Jan 7 2009, 04:27 PM
Post #11

Rolling Stone

I honestly don't think I would be attracted to anyone that I didn't trust and that wasn't open hearted enough to help someone when they needed it - so I guess I take that as a given in a relationship - the example I gave above is more the sort of thing that I see as practical and for me, I couldn't base a relationship on it.

--------------------
In Search Of ...........

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jan 7 2009, 04:28 PM
Post #12

Rolling Stone

Maybe we are debating semantics again...

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
travelmonster
post Jan 7 2009, 04:29 PM
Post #13

Rolling Stone

laugh.gif highly likely!

--------------------
In Search Of ...........

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jan 7 2009, 04:32 PM
Post #14

Rolling Stone

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is a practical element to all marriages. You save a LOT of money by living together, pooling resources, etc. etc. etc. That doesn't mean you don't love each other, and I think it's a good reason to get married, in addition to love and a nice relationship and fuzzy stuff like that.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
travelmonster
post Jan 7 2009, 04:41 PM
Post #15

Rolling Stone

Money would never attract me to a marriage - that is the stone cold truth. My first husband was absolutely loaded, but it was never gonna work. When I first met John he was 15,000 in debt and didn't have a penny to his name, I was the one with the house etc., but I loved him, so let him move in and it didn't matter a jot to me that he had nothing to contribute - money doesn't bring happiness and it would NEVER be a consideration for me.

When me and John got together there was nothing practical about it at all - quite the opposite actually, it was all very complicated and I honestly didn't see how it could work out - but I was wrong.

--------------------
In Search Of ...........

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jan 7 2009, 04:43 PM
Post #16

Rolling Stone

That's good for you, for real. But for a lot of people it helps if there is a mutual helping out sort of symbiotic relationship, I think.

Even though John was broke, I bet you he wasn't lazy all the time and you didn't feel like he was leeching off of you and using you.

I think there has to be a give and take.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
travelmonster
post Jan 7 2009, 04:57 PM
Post #17

Rolling Stone

Yeah, I guess everyone sees things differently, but when I was talking about helping out, I didn't mean material things - I meant support and assistance if needed in the same way you help your friends and family.

No, you are right, John wasn't lazy and I never felt used thats a totally different thing.

Yeah, give and take for sure - but aren't you like that with your friends etc. anyway?

--------------------
In Search Of ...........

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Jan 7 2009, 07:42 PM
Post #18

Rolling Stone

When me and John got together there was nothing practical about it at all - quite the opposite actually, it was all very complicated and I honestly didn't see how it could work out - but I was wrong.

I don't think (most) people get together because it's practical but it just ends up being that way most of the time.

--------------------
~Susie

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jan 8 2009, 08:15 AM
Post #19

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(travelmonster @ Jan 7 2009, 04:57 PM) *

Yeah, give and take for sure - but aren't you like that with your friends etc. anyway?

Yeah, and I don't have any "impractical" friends. If I feel my friends don't benefit me (ie. they aren't giving back in the relationship) they are dumped.

We are most probably arguing semantics, yep, ahaha.

Susie: Yep, I know what you mean, I agree with that too.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
travelmonster
post Jan 9 2009, 01:00 PM
Post #20

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Jan 8 2009, 01:15 PM) *

Yeah, and I don't have any "impractical" friends. If I feel my friends don't benefit me (ie. they aren't giving back in the relationship) they are dumped.

Really laugh.gif, wow thats harsh!!

For me marriage is still about love and sexual compatibility - then again though considering I left a marriage, including a house that was technically half mine with just a bag full of clothes -leaving my worldly goods behind to go and stay at my mums, which meant a 100 mile round trip per day to go to work - having no idea where i'd live etc. I guess you couldn't really call me a practical person!!!

--------------------
In Search Of ...........

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2014 - 12:58 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Bhutan

Bumthang Hotels
Jakar Hotels
Mongar Hotels
Paro Hotels
Phobjikha Valley Hotels
Phuntsholing Hotels
Punakha Hotels
Samdrup Jongkhar Hotels
Thimphu Hotels
Trashigang Hotels
Trongsa Hotels
Wangdue Hotels
Wangduephodrang Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.