Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Short temple stay, Advice for a group of students travelling in Thailand
alexoproiu
post Dec 26 2008, 02:28 PM
Post #1

Wanderer

Group: Members
Member No.: 50061
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hi,

I've searched the internet for a hint of how can we arrange a temple stay in Thailand (close to Bkk or somewhere in the southern part of the country) for our group of ~12 student-architects travelling in Thailand in April 2009, but so far no luck.

We are looking for a short stay (1-2 nights) in a temple, seeing how all of us are fascinated by the buddhist ways and especially temple life. Unfortunatelly we don't have the time to spend the minimum of 10 days some sites advertise as an option for such a stay.

Any thoughts on how we could fit something like this in our trip?

Thanx!
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Dec 26 2008, 09:19 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

It's really too bad that you don't have the time to stay the longer period. To even just begin absorbing the Buddhist way through a wat visit, a longer time period is certainly recommended. Personally I think even the week or ten days is too short.

Are you searching for other options or just trying to find a temple to stay in? You may be able to find accommodation in a wat somewhere near Bangkok but you likely won't find much in the way of observing a daily ritual yourselves, as in taking part like many of the stays offer.

Maybe a better option for your group would be to do a temple tour around the city? Would that be an option? You'd get a good rate because of the size of your group as well. The tours can be great, offering lots of history behind the temples as well as the Buddhist way of life. If you get a good tour guide, which is key, you'll have access to alot of background information and someone to answer your questions as well. Wat Phra Kaeo at the Grand Palace, Wat Pho, Wat Traimit and Wat Arun are some of the most famous.

The other option, if you really want to stay a couple of nights in a wat, is to find a direct contact to talk to. Quite honestly, the money you will pay for your group stay will go to the temple in form of repairs and maintenance and such, so I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be refused. It's not impossible to make such arrangements, you just have to talk to the right people. Have you tried directly e-mailing someone from one of the group tours you have looked at?

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
alexoproiu
post Dec 27 2008, 03:39 AM
Post #3

Wanderer

Group: Members
Member No.: 50061
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Some of us would like it if we were to spend a week in a wat just trying to get a feel for the basics of meditation, but this is a (time) luxury we reserve for the next trip... It's hard trying to put something together that will please 12 people!

As for the direct contact with a wat, I must say I haven't had much success in that direction mainly because I don't know where to look! Any hints on that would be great! As for the tour, we'll definetly do it.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Dec 27 2008, 12:07 PM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

There has to be a goof option for you but I'm just not sure exactly what yet. perhaps their are others who may know more about a short stay than me.

As for the direct contact with a wat, I must say I haven't had much success in that direction mainly because I don't know where to look! Any hints on that would be great! As for the tour, we'll definetly do it.

I'm not sure exactly where to look to tell the truth. I thought perhaps there might be a tour willing to adhere more to your schedule but I think the best thing is just to keep trying with contacting people.

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lunthom
post Dec 28 2008, 08:49 PM
Post #5

Nomad

Member No.: 103052

recommend to Wat Prathumwanaram it 's next to Siam Paragon.
Tel 66 0 2 2512315, 0 2 2525465
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Dec 29 2008, 08:55 AM
Post #6

Rolling Stone

there you go! Hopefully that works out for your group!

--------------------
~Susie

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 09:01 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Thailand

Ayutthaya Hotels
Bangkok Hotels
Cha-am Hotels
Chaweng Hotels
Chiang Mai Hotels
Chiang Rai Hotels
Chon Buri Hotels
Hat Yai Hotels
Hua Hin Hotels
Kanchanaburi Hotels
Kathu Hotels
Khao Lak Hotels
Khon Kaen Hotels
Ko Lanta Hotels
Ko Phangan Hotels
Ko Phi Phi Don Hotels
Ko Tao Hotels
Krabi Hotels
Lampang Hotels
Loei Hotels
Mae Hong Son Hotels
Nakorn Ratchasima Hotels
Nakorn Si Thammarat Hotels
Narathiwat Hotels
Nonthaburi Hotels
Pai Hotels
Patong Hotels
Pattaya Hotels
Phangnga Hotels
Phetchaburi Hotels
Phitsanulok Hotels
Rawai Hotels
Rayong Hotels
Songkhla Hotels
Sukhothai Hotels
Surat Thani Hotels
Tak Hotels
Trang Hotels
Trat Hotels
Udon Thani Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.