Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A positive towards my China trip, thanks to christmas :P
rauri
post Dec 25 2008, 07:02 AM
Post #1

Expeditionist

Group: Members
Member No.: 264986
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hey guys,
It's Christmas, i hope everyone had a great time (it's almost finished here in Aus')
One of the presents i received was a nice, fat travel guide to china by DK. It's a great book and i really recommend it to anyone that is looking for a good one.
It has great pictures, detailed information, maps etc.

Has anyone been on the day Cruise from Guilin to see the Limestone peaks of Guangxi along the Li River? It looks very interesting.

I'd love to hear any locations that people have visited and believe are amazing..so post away smile.gif

--------------------
Traveling to China at the end of 2009. Any recommendations or tips would be well appreciated :)
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
shangguan
post Dec 25 2008, 08:52 PM
Post #2

Pathfinder

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 255321

QUOTE(rauri @ Dec 25 2008, 07:02 AM) *

Has anyone been on the day Cruise from Guilin to see the Limestone peaks of Guangxi along the Li River? It looks very interesting.

Merry Christmas!

I just so happens that I live in Guilin. The cruise is truly stunning. I have taken it 5 or 6 times and would take it again. It is truly one of the most spectacular places on earth. The cruise will take you from Guilin to Yangshuo. If you are coming to Guilin, let me know. I'd be glad to help.

My suggestion if you do is to take the Chinese version. They will try to insist you take the one with the English tour guide. Trust me, you don't need it. Their English is virtually nonexistant. The guides have memorized their tour and can say little else. Plus, the "English" cruise is about 500 kuai (if I remember right) more than the Chinese one. There is a lunch served on the cruise, but it is terrible. When I get on the boat the first thing I do, even before they leave the dock, is head to the roof and pick a good spot. I spend the entire cruise on the roof just enjoying the spectacular views.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rauri
post Dec 25 2008, 08:57 PM
Post #3

Expeditionist

QUOTE(scottshangguan @ Dec 25 2008, 08:52 PM) *

QUOTE(rauri @ Dec 25 2008, 07:02 AM) *

Merry Christmas!

I just so happens that I live in Guilin. The cruise is truly stunning. I have taken it 5 or 6 times and would take it again. It is truly one of the most spectacular places on earth. The cruise will take you from Guilin to Yangshuo. If you are coming to Guilin, let me know. I'd be glad to help.

My suggestion if you do is to take the Chinese version. They will try to insist you take the one with the English tour guide. Trust me, you don't need it. Their English is virtually nonexistant. The guides have memorized their tour and can say little else. Plus, the "English" cruise is about 500 kuai (if I remember right) more than the Chinese one. There is a lunch served on the cruise, but it is terrible. When I get on the boat the first thing I do, even before they leave the dock, is head to the roof and pick a good spot. I spend the entire cruise on the roof just enjoying the spectacular views.

Wow, you sure are one lucky person! I would love to live in China; maybe in the future tongue.gif
The Cruise sounds great, ill have to try it out, i can't speak Chinese but i have a friend so i will probably take the Chinese tour then. What type of food do they serve? Is 500 kuai/yuan a lot for a cruise? What is an average price.

I'd defiantly take the roof as well, wouldn't miss a great view like that especially if i payed good money tongue.gif

Thanks for the tips and support

--------------------
Traveling to China at the end of 2009. Any recommendations or tips would be well appreciated :)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
shangguan
post Dec 26 2008, 01:51 AM
Post #4

Pathfinder

Wow, you sure are one lucky person! I would love to live in China; maybe in the future tongue.gif
The Cruise sounds great, ill have to try it out, i can't speak Chinese but i have a friend so i will probably take the Chinese tour then. What type of food do they serve? Is 500 kuai/yuan a lot for a cruise? What is an average price.

I'd defiantly take the roof as well, wouldn't miss a great view like that especially if i payed good money tongue.gif

You can always move to China. The food is very simple Chinese fare and is so bad that even Chinese people don't eat it. That says something! I think 500kuai is a lot of money for anything. 500kuai is like 500 dollars for you.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rauri
post Dec 26 2008, 02:21 AM
Post #5

Expeditionist

QUOTE(scottshangguan @ Dec 26 2008, 01:51 AM) *

You can always move to China. The food is very simple Chinese fare and is so bad that even Chinese people don't eat it. That says something! I think 500kuai is a lot of money for anything. 500kuai is like 500 dollars for you.

Oh really. I'd love to do University in China but i don't think it would work well with my language barrier, are Doctors needed in China? that's what i want to become

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
shangguan
post Dec 26 2008, 02:40 AM
Post #6

Pathfinder

Oh really. I'd love to do University in China but i don't think it would work well with my language barrier, are Doctors needed in China? that's what i want to become

I think China always needs westernly trained doctors. Send out some emails to Chinese medical colleges and ask around. They could probably point you in the right direction. I will ask my cousin if he knows anything about it. He is studying to be a doctor in a medical college in Naning.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
shangguan
post Dec 26 2008, 02:42 AM
Post #7

Pathfinder

I think China always needs westernly trained doctors. Send out some emails to Chinese medical colleges and ask around. They could probably point you in the right direction. I will ask my cousin if he knows anything about it. He is studying to be a doctor in a medical college in Naning.

Is Westernly a word? Maybe I've been here too long wacko.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rauri
post Dec 26 2008, 04:00 AM
Post #8

Expeditionist

QUOTE(scottshangguan @ Dec 26 2008, 02:42 AM) *

Is Westernly a word? Maybe I've been here too long wacko.gif

Haha, Yeah i think it would just be 'Western'. I've browsed the internet but i can't find the proper University websites; its usually just an article on the universities, if you could find a link to medical universities (preferably in the Sichuan Province), i would be pleased, i want to find one that has english speaking courses.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
shangguan
post Dec 26 2008, 04:38 AM
Post #9

Pathfinder

Haha, Yeah i think it would just be 'Western'. I've browsed the internet but i can't find the proper University websites; its usually just an article on the universities, if you could find a link to medical universities (preferably in the Sichuan Province), i would be pleased, i want to find one that has english speaking courses.

I will look into it for you and see what I can find out. I'll get back to you on Monday because I just finished work. Have a great weekend!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rauri
post Dec 26 2008, 04:40 AM
Post #10

Expeditionist

QUOTE(scottshangguan @ Dec 26 2008, 04:38 AM) *

I will look into it for you and see what I can find out. I'll get back to you on Monday because I just finished work. Have a great weekend!

thanks a lot mate. Have a wonderful weekend too

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
shangguan
post Jan 8 2009, 12:24 AM
Post #11

Pathfinder

You haven't told us where you're planning on going. Let me know, I could possibly give you some tips.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rauri
post Jan 8 2009, 12:29 AM
Post #12

Expeditionist

QUOTE(scottshangguan @ Jan 8 2009, 12:24 AM) *

You haven't told us where you're planning on going. Let me know, I could possibly give you some tips.

I have mentioned a few places, i posted a reply to your comment in another topic of some of the locations i'm interested in visiting.
I'm sure by the time i travel there will be a lot more locations i have in-mind and I'm going to take your advice and not plan toooo much.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
shangguan
post Feb 6 2009, 02:30 AM
Post #13

Pathfinder

Hi Rauri,
I finally got ahold of my cousin. He says that there are medical universities in China that will allow foreign students, but the classes are all in Chinese. At the school he goes to, there are classes in TCM in English, but they are taken by western doctors and do not include a degree. He also said that if you could understand Chinese and would go to a medical college and get a degree, you'd need to go onto further schooling because even in China with a normal degree you wouldn't be able to get a job. My suggestion would be that if you really want to come to China to study, that you just come for a year or so to study Chinese.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rauri
post Feb 6 2009, 02:45 AM
Post #14

Expeditionist

QUOTE(scottshangguan @ Feb 6 2009, 02:30 AM) *

Hi Rauri,
I finally got ahold of my cousin. He says that there are medical universities in China that will allow foreign students, but the classes are all in Chinese. At the school he goes to, there are classes in TCM in English, but they are taken by western doctors and do not include a degree. He also said that if you could understand Chinese and would go to a medical college and get a degree, you'd need to go onto further schooling because even in China with a normal degree you wouldn't be able to get a job. My suggestion would be that if you really want to come to China to study, that you just come for a year or so to study Chinese.

Hello smile.gif
Thanks for the information. It has helped and given me more questions.
I have emailed Universities there in China, they teach the course i want in English. You say i may need to do further studies, like a Masters Degree?
I want to study there as well as live in the future, in other words graduate uni, get proper visa then get a job there.
I've been sorting this out with parents, they want me to do a semester of study, probably learn Mandarin, see if i want to stay in china, then after that apply for the universities and graduate that hopefully haha smile.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
shangguan
post Feb 6 2009, 03:22 AM
Post #15

Pathfinder

I've been sorting this out with parents, they want me to do a semester of study, probably learn Mandarin, see if i want to stay in china, then after that apply for the universities and graduate that hopefully haha smile.gif

The educational, not to mention the medical system here is totally different than in the west. If you did get a degree in Medicine here, it would be of no use in the west.

I couldn't agree with your parents enough! (god, I can't believe I said that, I must be getting old) I love this country so much and it is my home, but the cultural difference between it and other countries is HUGE! Many people cannot cope with it. Many of the cultural aspects of China are the complete opposite of the west, and most westerners here find everyone rude, and the Chinese find the westerners to be rude. The biggest trick is to constantly remind yourself that it is a different country and let things go. It is hard for many visitors. If you truly want to live here, and I whole-heartedly suggest you do, try it out for at least a year to get a feel for it. When you do, try to not make many, or any foreign friends. Do your best to make Chinese friends. First, you will get to experience real China, and secondly you will be amazed at how quickly your Chinese will improve. The mistake I think most foreign students make is to always hang out with foreigners and speak English, and watch western movies and eat hamburgers. They do it because it is safe, comfortable, and familiar, and it also helps prevent culture shock. The problem is that they live in their own little bubble and never actually see China. That is a waste!

If you are interested, when you tour China, try to stop in Guilin. I will show you around and introduce you to my friends, show you how the locals really live, and it might help you get a better picture too. Please feel free to shoot any questions my way.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rauri
post Feb 6 2009, 10:57 AM
Post #16

Expeditionist

QUOTE(scottshangguan @ Feb 6 2009, 03:22 AM) *

The educational, not to mention the medical system here is totally different than in the west. If you did get a degree in Medicine here, it would be of no use in the west.

I couldn't agree with your parents enough! (god, I can't believe I said that, I must be getting old) I love this country so much and it is my home, but the cultural difference between it and other countries is HUGE! Many people cannot cope with it. Many of the cultural aspects of China are the complete opposite of the west, and most westerners here find everyone rude, and the Chinese find the westerners to be rude. The biggest trick is to constantly remind yourself that it is a different country and let things go. It is hard for many visitors. If you truly want to live here, and I whole-heartedly suggest you do, try it out for at least a year to get a feel for it. When you do, try to not make many, or any foreign friends. Do your best to make Chinese friends. First, you will get to experience real China, and secondly you will be amazed at how quickly your Chinese will improve. The mistake I think most foreign students make is to always hang out with foreigners and speak English, and watch western movies and eat hamburgers. They do it because it is safe, comfortable, and familiar, and it also helps prevent culture shock. The problem is that they live in their own little bubble and never actually see China. That is a waste!

If you are interested, when you tour China, try to stop in Guilin. I will show you around and introduce you to my friends, show you how the locals really live, and it might help you get a better picture too. Please feel free to shoot any questions my way.

Yeah i've heard about the education being very different, i am not fussed about being unable to get a job here, i know i will love china so if i get a job there once the degree is complete that is perfect, i will work hard.

I understand it may take a bit for me to get used to the cultural differences but i've always been interested in china and it's culture, i respect it and believe i will come to appreciate it and fit in quickly.
Thank you for the great tips, they have helped, it makes total sense to make chinese friends, i would love that. As for the living, i love chinese food (i've been to a few traditional restaurants not the 'takeaway' standard typical in western countries) i rarely eat food like burgers anyway so that will be no worry smile.gif
I'm going to do my best to see china when i travel there end of this year, then i will further my education there and hopefully my whole life, i know i will love china, it's always been part of my interests ever since i was little.

I'd love to visit you if i am around Guilin, you have been a great help on this, i bet you'd be an even greater help in person tongue.gif
The only question i have is: As being a westerner, if i got a degree (same as the chinese people) there in china would i have the same rights/chances at getting a job? (once i am able to live there)
thanks again biggrin.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
shangguan
post Feb 9 2009, 12:21 AM
Post #17

Pathfinder

The only question i have is: As being a westerner, if i got a degree (same as the chinese people) there in china would i have the same rights/chances at getting a job? (once i am able to live there)
thanks again biggrin.gif

If you got a degree, you would probably have a better chance at getting a job. The reason is because you have the added advantage of being a native English speaker. A big problem in hospitals is finding english speaking doctors. Many hospitals don't have them and are always looking for them. If you have enough time and money, I would recommend you first get a degree in Chinese, then go after your desired major. If you spoke perfect Chinese and English, you'd have a lot of advantages over most job seekers. This would also open many doors with western companies too because they are always looking for people who are proficient in both languages.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rauri
post Feb 9 2009, 12:41 AM
Post #18

Expeditionist

QUOTE(scottshangguan @ Feb 9 2009, 12:21 AM) *

thanks again biggrin.gif

If you got a degree, you would probably have a better chance at getting a job. The reason is because you have the added advantage of being a native English speaker. A big problem in hospitals is finding english speaking doctors. Many hospitals don't have them and are always looking for them. If you have enough time and money, I would recommend you first get a degree in Chinese, then go after your desired major. If you spoke perfect Chinese and English, you'd have a lot of advantages over most job seekers. This would also open many doors with western companies too because they are always looking for people who are proficient in both languages.

Thanks a lot smile.gif
This makes total sense and it seems exactly what i want from my future, i will aim for this and work hard.
Do a Chinese language course, then do Medicine, i'd probably still do the medicial course in china in english as it would be my most fluent language and i know for sure they do them in english in some universities.
Thanks for your help and advice, i really appreciate it biggrin.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
shangguan
post Feb 11 2009, 04:01 AM
Post #19

Pathfinder

My pleasure.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 05:55 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in China

Beijing Hotels
Changchun Hotels
Changsha Hotels
Chengdu Hotels
Chongqing Hotels
Dalian Hotels
Dongguan Hotels
Foshan Hotels
Fuzhou Hotels
Guangzhou Hotels
Guilin Hotels
Haikou Hotels
Hangzhou Hotels
Harbin Hotels
Hefei Hotels
Hong Kong Hotels
Jinan Hotels
Kunming Hotels
Lanzhou Hotels
Lijiang Hotels
Nanchang Hotels
Nanjing Hotels
Nanning Hotels
Ningbo Hotels
Qingdao Hotels
Sanya Hotels
Shanghai Hotels
Shenyang Hotels
Shenzhen Hotels
Suzhou Hotels
Taiyuan Hotels
Tianjin Hotels
Urumqi Hotels
Wenzhou Hotels
Wuhan Hotels
Wuxi Hotels
Xi'an Hotels
Xiamen Hotels
Zhengzhou Hotels
Zhuhai Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.