Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> December in Tashkent, Weather, utilities, getting around...
ahamill
post Dec 24 2008, 06:05 AM
Post #1

Wayfarer

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 67301

I think many disagree with me, but really I don't find that this winter has been difficult so far! It has snowed quite a lot, and there are still snow-covered roofs I can look out the office window to see here near Amir Temur Street - perhaps 2 inches or even 3 in some places - but it's all gone from streets and sidewalks, melted away.
For the traveler in this country during the winter, it often becomes difficult to negotiate passes and roads in the far reaches of the country. Usually, Ferghana Valley is cut off, as are great huge portions of Karakalpastan. I know from experience that flights coming IN to Tashkent get grounded before taking off if the weather in Tashkent is foul - I mean, flights from one of the UZ airports, at Bukhara or Samarqand or Karshi, for example. Take this into consideration of you're planning to get around by plane during the December through March months.

However, the temperature continues to hover between +5 and -5, and we've been living in a 'cloud city' for at least a week, maybe two! I can't see, from my window on the 9th floor, past perhaps 4 blocks (1/2 mile) - foggy, like we've had clouds descend on the city. It's not unpleasant, in fact it's kind of nice! But I notice folks complaining about it a bit - though locals enjoy saying things like "well at least it's not as bad as LAST year!" Last year was rough, apparently, and the temp didn't rise above 0 for a month or so. Caused havoc on the infrastructure!
Getting around is pretty unchanged - taxis are still available even in the dead of night. My friend Carrie came back through and stayed for a few days before flying out of Tashkent INternational and was able to catch a taxi on Safiski at about 3am - and Ryan had been able to do that two weeks ago at about 4am. Really great to be able to flag down transportation at such an early hour, and in snow and bad weather too. They're both home safe now enjoying the holidays with family - good.

My next entry will feature a report on the snowboarding conditions at Chimgan!

--------------------
Sleepless in Tashkent
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Dec 24 2008, 10:34 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

That's not bad weather at all! It's -30C today in Ottawa, Canada... maybe I'll go to Tashkent for my winter holiday to get warm! Haha!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jan 13 2009, 08:07 AM
Post #3

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

That is funny, I guess your body can get used to everything, no matter where you live!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ahamill
post Jan 15 2009, 02:51 AM
Post #4

Wayfarer

Member No.: 67301

You're right, it's not bad at all! Providing that there is electricity to run heaters, and gas for hot water, it's really not bad! Certainly better than -30C, for sure!

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Dec 24 2008, 10:34 AM) *

That's not bad weather at all! It's -30C today in Ottawa, Canada... maybe I'll go to Tashkent for my winter holiday to get warm! Haha!

--------------------
Sleepless in Tashkent
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2014 - 08:27 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.