Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Car Travel, Buying or Renting Difficulties
fargoing
post Dec 21 2008, 04:50 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 256707
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hi guys,

Three friends and I (all English) are traveling the U.S from March to June, and plan to do it by car. We want to travel up the west coast to Seattle and then across to New York (Though we may start with Vegas).

Anyway, our problem is that we are a little unclear about procedures, and restrictions, for buying or renting a car. Can we simply fly to any state, buy a car, insure it, and then travel to other states? My friend has done most of the research regarding the car, but he seems to think that we canīt insure a bought car without having a permanent residence in the U.S. Is this true? And, if not, then are there any other difficulties that we may experience? Sorry if I am a little vague, but we are finding the whole car thing quite difficult, so if anyone has any information at all then it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Dec 22 2008, 10:24 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

Great answer, I wouldn't add a thing. I'd just reiterate actually talking to someone on the phone form a reputable insurance company.

I don't believe you would have as many problems renting a car as you would buying them. In fact, I don't think you would have any problems renting a car at all, as long as you have a credit card and international driver's license.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Dec 22 2008, 12:16 PM
Post #3

Tripper

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 2195

Goodness...what a can of worms! Back in 1960 I purchased a car in Miami for US$ 200 and drove to Los Angeles, where I sold it for US$ 100. I guess in those days insurance wasn't a big deal.

Keep in mind that renting a car in one state and dropping it off in another could entail a hefty drop-off fee. On the other hand, at least you will be getting a late model vehicle with full roadside guarantee and mandatory insurance. Imagine if you buy a 2nd. hand car and it breaks down half way through your journey?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 12:11 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in USA

Albuquerque Hotels
Anaheim Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Boston Hotels
Branson Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Columbus Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Fort Lauderdale Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Jacksonville Hotels
Kansas City Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Memphis Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Philadelphia Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Portland Hotels
Saint Louis Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Scottsdale Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Tucson Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.