Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Golf Balls At Angkor Wat??
wakingdream
post Dec 20 2008, 08:33 PM
Post #1

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

When I visited Cambodia, particularly Angkor Wat, I wasn't really aware that the country is home to so many golf courses.

'At the end of a bumpy red-dirt road lies Cambodia's Angkor Golf Resort. Between the rice paddies and rustic wood houses of the countryside, the manicured fairways look out of place, like an oasis.

Which makes sense, since most tourists come to Cambodia to see ancient Khmer temples and the harrowing killing fields. But if resort developers and government planners have their way - along with the country's golf-mad Prime Minister - Cambodia will join a golf boom that is bringing high-end resorts and professional events to the region.'

It doesn't come cheap either! $100 for a round, plus cart and caddy fees. There are currently four courses in Cambodia with four more being designed and built by 2011.

Depending on the size of the clubs and courses, what could eating up the land in Cambodia for golf courses mean? Especially since it sounds like so many golfers are looking for the next, newest and most exotic golf course.

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Dec 22 2008, 09:41 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

Very interesting... do they look like normal golf courses? Do they use exorbitant amounts of pesticides and irrigation water too?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Dec 22 2008, 11:05 AM
Post #3

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 13336

Not sure about the irrigation methods but yeah, they're normal. They're going for the luxury golf, hotel package stay type thing. Actually, they're not right at Angkor,

IPB Image

but close enough! I think they're should be some worldwide legislation on building restrictions near sacred or historically significant places. Hmmm. I wonder what kind of restrictions might be in place for UNESCO sites. Or would it just be the immediate area........

This kind of makes me cringe; ( from a tour site)

Explore Cambodia Golf and History Tour.
Play golf at the 8th wonder of the world. Angkor Wat; one of the world’s most famous ancient ruins that must be seen to be believed! In between sightseeing
at Siem Reaps’ various world heritage sites, you will have time to relax and play golf at the lovely golf courses in Siem Reap.

Maybe it's just me.

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 12:16 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Cambodia

Banlung Hotels
Battambang Hotels
Kampong Cham Hotels
Kampong Chhnang Hotels
Kampot Hotels
Kep Hotels
Koh Dach Hotels
Koh Kong Hotels
Koh Rong Hotels
Koh Rong Samloem Hotels
Koh Rung Hotels
Koh Ta Kiev Hotels
Koh Tonsay Hotels
Kompong Thom Hotels
Kratie (Kracheh) Hotels
Pailin Hotels
Phnom Penh Hotels
Poipet Hotels
Pursat Hotels
Ratanakiri Hotels
Roluos Hotels
Sen Monorom Hotels
Siem Reap Hotels
Sihanoukville Hotels
Sisophon Hotels
Stung Treng Hotels
Takeo Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.