Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tipping for Tour Guides for Ang Kor Wat
kktong
post Sep 26 2010, 12:17 PM
Post #1

Wanderer

Group: Members
Member No.: 1312801
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hi Guys,

I will be traveling to Ang Kor Wat next month, and had booked a tour guide. However in his email, he mentioned about this tip for the guide. Now i am very sure that when one travel overseas on a tour group, there is a compulsory tip for the guide and driver. I am not too sure is it a norm to tip the guide in Siem Reap? How much do you guys tip in general?

regards
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Sep 26 2010, 08:20 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 124

Do you mean 'his tip' (the guide on the email) or an additional tip for another guide?

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kktong
post Sep 27 2010, 03:48 AM
Post #3

Wanderer

QUOTE(ScottWoz @ Sep 26 2010, 08:20 PM) *

Do you mean 'his tip' (the guide on the email) or an additional tip for another guide?

I mean his tip. This guide i am in contact with is the guide and driver all in 1 person
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Sep 27 2010, 07:49 AM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

Ok great, then it depends on what he's charging you and for what? That's how you'll know if he needs or deserves a tip, though that's not allowing for what actually happens on the day(s) - he may end up being an exceptional guide and a hive of information and therefore may win your tipping heart over. What exactly are you getting for your money?

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kktong
post Sep 27 2010, 08:10 AM
Post #5

Wanderer

May sound abit steep though, but i read good reviews abt this guy and also i tot if he is showing me the good stuff abt the history of ang kor, why not? btw this is the proposed itenary:

Day 1: visit South Gate of Angkor Thom, Bayon, Baphoun, Terrace of Elephant and Leperking, and Phimeanakas.

Lunch at the temples site,

visit Ta Prohm, Angkor Wat, and Sunset on Phnom Bakhen

Cost Details: $50 for tour guide + car

Day 2: visit Pre Rup and see the Angkor Wat Towers, Banteay Srei (37 km outside Angkor region), Land mine Museum

Lunch, visit East Mebon, Ta Som, Neak Pean, and Preah Khan. Overnight in Siem Reap

Cost Details:

$65 for Guide + Car ($15 extra because of the far trip of Banteay Srei temple). If you don't go to see this place, the price is normal.

Day 3: Temples beyond Angkor site:

Visit one dense jungle temple called Beng Melea, very famous for its ruined condition, is located 70 km from Siem Reap city. On the way there, there is a lot of sightseeing of the countryside.

Lunch at local shop

Afternoon: Either visit a group of three temples (Bakong, Lolei, and Preah Ko) or Tone Sap (floating village)

Cost Details: $90 for tour guide + car (car has to pay the toll to get Beng Melea)

Note: please choose the option on the third day and mail me.

* i am choosing the 3 temples

Price Included:

water
tour to city
service taking to dinner
gasoline
tour guide and transportation with driver and their personal expenses

Price Excluded:

entrance fee of Angkor park ($40 per person, only cash accepted there)
your meal (lunch, dinner, or breakfast)
personal expenses
other drink except the water
tips

Our Services:

guide will be flexible with guest’s suggestions
tuk tuk is clean and the driver is friendly
water during the tour is free ( one bottle is $1 if it is bought by tourists)
free cold towels
sunrise (extra $10 per person)
sunset is free

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Sep 27 2010, 09:51 PM
Post #6

Rolling Stone

Hold on hold on hold on, are you getting a car (limo) with this or a tuk-tuk?

Your call of course but personally, I think that's ridiculous. Having said that they are at least offering the sunset for free.

If you're taking a guided tuk you shouldn't be paying more than $20US per day INCluding tips. Where did you read the good reviews about this guy?

--------------------
Woz..

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kktong
post Sep 28 2010, 10:46 AM
Post #7

Wanderer

I read good reviews on this guy on trip advisor. I think the mode of transport is tuk-tuk. I am not too sure the prices are based on 2 person as i have told him i will be traveling alone. I am however taking into consideration the places that he will be bringing me to. I have never been to Siem Reap so I have no idea the distance of those temples that he will be showing me.

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Sep 28 2010, 10:03 PM
Post #8

Rolling Stone

Generally you shouldn't be paying more than $15-$20 per day for a tuk-tuk and English speaking guide. Air conditioned vans $25, no more than $30. Distance isn't too much of an issue. If you're spending a few days scouring the area they'll certainly be getting their moneys worth. Tipping (beyond that) would be very generous.

Whatever you decide to spend, I hope you enjoy. The temples of Angkor are absolutely unforgettable.

(Oh and for me personally, if I did it again I'd rent a bicycle for $2 and enjoy the magic at my own unhurried pace.)

Good luck, and have a good time..

--------------------
Woz..

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
danstravelworld
post Oct 12 2010, 06:41 AM
Post #9

Voyager

Member No.: 104714

QUOTE(ScottWoz @ Sep 28 2010, 10:03 PM) *

Generally you shouldn't be paying more than $15-$20 per day for a tuk-tuk and English speaking guide. Air conditioned vans $25, no more than $30. Distance isn't too much of an issue. If you're spending a few days scouring the area they'll certainly be getting their moneys worth. Tipping (beyond that) would be [i]very[i] generous.

Whatever you decide to spend, I hope you enjoy. The temples of Angkor are absolutely unforgettable.

(Oh and for me personally, if I did it again I'd rent a bicycle for $2 and enjoy the magic at my own unhurried pace.)

Good luck, and have a good time..

Agreed, we charge our tuk tuk drivers out at $10 - $20 dependant on their language and skills. A separate official guide costs an additional $20 a day.

You need a car for Beng Melea - tuk tuk is fine for the rest.

Quite steep - there's plenty of other drivers out there for the same quality.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2014 - 03:25 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Cambodia

Banlung Hotels
Battambang Hotels
Kampong Cham Hotels
Kampong Chhnang Hotels
Kampot Hotels
Kep Hotels
Koh Dach Hotels
Koh Kong Hotels
Koh Rong Hotels
Koh Rong Samloem Hotels
Koh Rung Hotels
Koh Ta Kiev Hotels
Koh Tonsay Hotels
Kompong Thom Hotels
Kratie (Kracheh) Hotels
Pailin Hotels
Phnom Penh Hotels
Poipet Hotels
Pursat Hotels
Ratanakiri Hotels
Roluos Hotels
Sen Monorom Hotels
Siem Reap Hotels
Sihanoukville Hotels
Sisophon Hotels
Stung Treng Hotels
Takeo Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.