Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How much money needed, money needed last few months
rauri
post Dec 19 2008, 09:29 AM
Post #1

Expeditionist

Group: Members
Member No.: 264986
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hello guys,
I'm hoping to visit China at the end of 2009 once i graduate.
I was wandering how much money i would need to support myself whilst there, cheaply, i don't want anything flashy.
I'd like to stay for 2 months +

Just let me know how much you think ill need (excluding the plane ticket)
thanks in advance biggrin.gif

--------------------
Traveling to China at the end of 2009. Any recommendations or tips would be well appreciated :)
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Dec 19 2008, 10:01 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

Hi rauri,
I found this article, on wikitravel:
http://wikitravel.org/en/China#Buy
Costs

Unless you are heading to Hong Kong or Macau, China is generally a cheap place to visit. That is if you eat the local food, use public transport and stay in a decent hotel. 100 is a perfectly serviceable daily backpacker budget. However, if you want to live an extravagant lifestyle and eat only Western food, even 1000 a day may not be enough. There is widespread variation in prices depending on where you go, with big cities like Shanghai, Beijing and Guangzhou generally costing more than the rural, more inland parts of the country. Shenzhen and Zhuhai are also known for being expensive by Chinese standards (which is still relatively cheap by Western standards) as many residents of Hong Kong and Macau, who are generally more affluent than their mainland Chinese counterparts, often go there to shop.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rauri
post Dec 20 2008, 01:38 AM
Post #3

Expeditionist

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Dec 19 2008, 10:01 AM) *

Hi rauri,
Costs

Unless you are heading to Hong Kong or Macau, China is generally a cheap place to visit. That is if you eat the local food, use public transport and stay in a decent hotel. 100 is a perfectly serviceable daily backpacker budget. However, if you want to live an extravagant lifestyle and eat only Western food, even 1000 a day may not be enough. There is widespread variation in prices depending on where you go, with big cities like Shanghai, Beijing and Guangzhou generally costing more than the rural, more inland parts of the country. Shenzhen and Zhuhai are also known for being expensive by Chinese standards (which is still relatively cheap by Western standards) as many residents of Hong Kong and Macau, who are generally more affluent than their mainland Chinese counterparts, often go there to shop.

Hello Starlagurl,
Thanks a lot for such an informative reply, i appreciate it.
I'm probably going to be living on a backpacker budget and also eat chinese food, I'm not fussy with food at all and i do love chinese food.
I don't think I'll be staying in Hong Kong or Shanghai for long, i am hoping to visit areas around Chengdu as i know someone there.
Once again thank you smile.gif

--------------------
Traveling to China at the end of 2009. Any recommendations or tips would be well appreciated :)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rauri
post Dec 21 2008, 05:52 AM
Post #4

Expeditionist

QUOTE(viobunny @ Dec 21 2008, 05:49 AM) *

QUOTE(rauri @ Dec 20 2008, 01:38 AM) *

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Dec 19 2008, 10:01 AM) *

Hi rauri,
Costs

Hello Starlagurl,
Thanks a lot for such an informative reply, i appreciate it.
I'm probably going to be living on a backpacker budget and also eat chinese food, I'm not fussy with food at all and i do love chinese food.
I don't think I'll be staying in Hong Kong or Shanghai for long, i am hoping to visit areas around Chengdu as i know someone there.
Once again thank you smile.gif

Traveling to China is definitely cheaper, but unfortunately, recently the CPI here is rocketing.

I hope you can handle the ticket booking etc well. Here is a good web for you to have some rough idea of your budget:www.tourochina.com

Thanks for the link smile.gif
The ticket booking and accomodation should be no worry, my mother is a Travel Agent dance3.gif
Her strengths don't lie in China and i think she's sick of me asking her continuous questions, so that's why i love this Forum, thanks to everyone biggrin.gif haha

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Dec 22 2008, 06:59 AM
Post #5

Planet Pioneer

Member No.: 692

I think you can get away with less than 100 Yuan a day, especially if you are going to Central China. In Chengdu I managed to get by on 45 Yuan 1 day ($6 at the time) including accomodation, food and beer smile.gif It was still easy to get by on around 100 Yuan in the big cities. I think the hostel I used in Beijing only cost 60 Yuan.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rauri
post Dec 22 2008, 07:02 AM
Post #6

Expeditionist

QUOTE(rbisset @ Dec 22 2008, 06:59 AM) *

I think you can get away with less than 100 Yuan a day, especially if you are going to Central China. In Chengdu I managed to get by on 45 Yuan 1 day ($6 at the time) including accomodation, food and beer smile.gif It was still easy to get by on around 100 Yuan in the big cities. I think the hostel I used in Beijing only cost 60 Yuan.

Thanks a lot mate for the information smile.gif
I think i should be fine in China then, My time should be well spent in central china.
Ill be able to save some money too; i won't be drinking Beer tongue.gif (my age..haha)
Thanks again.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Dec 22 2008, 08:48 AM
Post #7

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

You're welcome, Rauri.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rauri
post Dec 23 2008, 06:33 AM
Post #8

Expeditionist

QUOTE(viobunny @ Dec 23 2008, 06:30 AM) *

Hope you have a good time in China. I can be your guide if you come to visit the South China. hug.gif

Thanks a lot smile.gif If i need one i will let you know. Are there any places i may not know of that you can recommend?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st September 2014 - 10:07 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in China

Beijing Hotels
Changchun Hotels
Changsha Hotels
Chengdu Hotels
Chongqing Hotels
Dalian Hotels
Dongguan Hotels
Foshan Hotels
Fuzhou Hotels
Guangzhou Hotels
Guilin Hotels
Haikou Hotels
Hangzhou Hotels
Harbin Hotels
Hefei Hotels
Hong Kong Hotels
Jinan Hotels
Kunming Hotels
Lanzhou Hotels
Lijiang Hotels
Nanchang Hotels
Nanjing Hotels
Nanning Hotels
Ningbo Hotels
Qingdao Hotels
Sanya Hotels
Shanghai Hotels
Shenyang Hotels
Shenzhen Hotels
Suzhou Hotels
Taiyuan Hotels
Tianjin Hotels
Urumqi Hotels
Wenzhou Hotels
Wuhan Hotels
Wuxi Hotels
Xi'an Hotels
Xiamen Hotels
Zhengzhou Hotels
Zhuhai Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.