Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Travelling to mexico on my own?, travelling alone
stylishdani
post Dec 17 2008, 03:44 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 264881

Hi there i would like some advice from anyone? I am a 26 year old female and looking at travelling to Mexico on my own would anyone recomend travelling alone places to visit etc?

I would be happy for all options and opionions.

Thanks

Dani
x
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Dec 17 2008, 11:47 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

Mexico City! It's a great place! I don't think you have to afraid of traveling alone in Mexico...as long as you are not getting involved with shady people you should be fine...http://wikitravel.org/en/Mexico#Stay_safe

And Teotihuacan is not far away: http://wikitravel.org/en/Teotihuacan

To relax, head to Cuernavaca....or to Taxco to buy some silver.

I probably would stay away from Cancun or Acapulco... just because that's not really my style.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Dec 17 2008, 03:24 PM
Post #3

Tripper

Member No.: 2195

Hi Dani. Good advice from Louise.

A lot depends if you are looking for beaches or culture. The central highlands around Mexico City have the Aztec and Spanish colonial culture. More indigenous Maya culture in the southern states of Oaxaca, Chiapas and Yucatan.

If it's beaches you are after, Mexico has more beaches than you can swing a cat at.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17973033/

There's really no problem in a single girl travelling alone in Mexico, as long as you keep to the normal tourist paths. Expect to be called "Ay, mamacita" and receive "piropos", depending on your beauty and the way you dress.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Dec 17 2008, 03:24 PM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

Ohhhhhhhhhhh yes, and watch out for "ssst ssst ssst"! And if you are blond with fair skin, it's the worst for that!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Dec 17 2008, 06:14 PM
Post #5

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 13336

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Dec 17 2008, 03:24 PM) *

Ohhhhhhhhhhh yes, and watch out for "ssst ssst ssst"! And if you are blond with fair skin, it's the worst for that!

Oh yeeeah! Happened to me. Though personally I just ignored it and moved ahead. Pay no mind b/c you'll hear it. If you're blond some people also want to touch your hair. Don't be too freaked out. They're just curious and harmless for the most part.

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Dec 18 2008, 09:03 AM
Post #6

Rolling Stone

Yeah, I agree, it's harmless. I just ignored it too.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Dec 18 2008, 11:35 AM
Post #7

Tripper

Many Mexican girls consider piropos a complement and would be dismayed if they didn't get one. The majority of men mean it to be a complement too, but of course there are always boors. Ignore them or enjoy them, but never make eye contact unless you are planning on a deeper relationship.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
visor2040
post Dec 29 2008, 10:00 PM
Post #8

Drifter

Member No.: 265452

QUOTE(wakingdream @ Dec 17 2008, 07:14 PM) *

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Dec 17 2008, 03:24 PM) *

Oh yeeeah! Happened to me. Though personally I just ignored it and moved ahead. Pay no mind b/c you'll hear it. If you're blond some people also want to touch your hair. Don't be too freaked out. They're just curious and harmless for the most part.

I guess that happens in the smaller towns. But I've never seen that here poke.gif .

Come to Mexico City! You'll have a great time. Just make friends with some locals (like me beach.gif ) and you'll be fine smile.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Dec 30 2008, 10:01 AM
Post #9

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(mmbcross @ Dec 18 2008, 11:35 AM) *

Many Mexican girls consider piropos a complement and would be dismayed if they didn't get one. The majority of men mean it to be a complement too, but of course there are always boors. Ignore them or enjoy them, but never make eye contact unless you are planning on a deeper relationship.

Ahhh, that's good advice!

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Massimo
post Feb 6 2009, 10:05 AM
Post #10

Voyager

Member No.: 268870

I have been with my girlfriend in Playa del Carmen, Tulum, Coba, and the whole riviera maya, using cabs, collective cabs, and even at night we felt safe.
Maybe just if you want to stroll around at night, stay in touristic crowded areas, like 5° avenida in Playa del Carmen, but that's just common sense...
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kitkatgo
post Feb 7 2009, 02:31 PM
Post #11

Navigator

Member No.: 13816

I will be the first to admit that I haven't kept up on all the news. But please be aware, that Mexico has recently become a bit unstable. I know there was just a bombing in Tijuana (which I'm sure would not be a destination for you, but still).

I don't know if the instability goes throughout the country or is more pronounced at the border towns. But just be aware of this. I would not go into Mexico at this time. Or at least I would do some major research into the country's issues first.

--------------------
~Kit
California Local Expert

Visit my travel blogs:
http://www.travelpod.com/members/kitkatgo
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Massimo
post Feb 7 2009, 02:42 PM
Post #12

Voyager

Member No.: 268870

QUOTE(kitkatgo @ Feb 7 2009, 02:31 PM) *

I will be the first to admit that I haven't kept up on all the news. But please be aware, that Mexico has recently become a bit unstable. I know there was just a bombing in Tijuana (which I'm sure would not be a destination for you, but still).

I don't know if the instability goes throughout the country or is more pronounced at the border towns. But just be aware of this. I would not go into Mexico at this time. Or at least I would do some major research into the country's issues first.

I agree with you 100%, but I had the feeling ( I was there 1-1/2 month ago) that if you wander through touristic areas, they make sure nothing (bad) happens to the tourists.
but from here to say tht is the safest place on Earth ..
An examle of a little trouble I've had was a cop who pulled us out, everything was ok, but to let us go, he asked 20 US$ ... that was agravating, but not dangerous.. so just take as much information as you can before you go, bring with you all the common sense you can,and always keep your eyes open!
Ciao
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
stereobread
post Feb 8 2009, 08:56 AM
Post #13

Wayfarer

Member No.: 269026

Honestly it really is the border region that is the most dangerous in the country, but even there as long as you use a modicum of common sense (i.e. don't follow strangers into dark alleys in bad parts of town, don't rip off a drug lord) you'll almost certainly be fine. Get away from the border and the beaches and you'll find an incredible country, probably my favorite out of all the places I've been. Hit the old colonial cities and the amazing pre-Hispanic ruins in the central and southern parts of the country.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Feb 9 2009, 04:52 PM
Post #14

Tripper

QUOTE(ospreyvineyard @ Feb 8 2009, 11:35 AM) *

Being paranoid is no way to live life

How true! All travel has it's risks, so always be careful, but never be paranoid.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Feb 9 2009, 11:11 PM
Post #15

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(mmbcross @ Feb 9 2009, 04:52 PM) *

QUOTE(ospreyvineyard @ Feb 8 2009, 11:35 AM) *

Being paranoid is no way to live life

How true! All travel has it's risks, so always be careful, but never be paranoid.

I'll second that yes.gif

--------------------
~Susie

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 03:41 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Mexico

Acapulco Hotels
Aguascalientes Hotels
Akumal Hotels
Cabo San Lucas Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Chihuahua Hotels
Ciudad Juarez Hotels
Cuernavaca Hotels
Guadalajara Hotels
Guanajuato Hotels
Hermosillo Hotels
Huatulco Hotels
La Paz Hotels
Leon Hotels
Manzanillo Hotels
Mazatlan Hotels
Merida Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Monterrey Hotels
Morelia Hotels
Nuevo Vallarta Hotels
Oaxaca Hotels
Playa Paraiso Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puebla Hotels
Puerto Aventuras Hotels
Puerto Morelos Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Queretaro Hotels
Saltillo Hotels
San Cristobal de las Casas Hotels
San Jose Del Cabo Hotels
San Luis Potosí Hotels
San Miguel de Allende Hotels
Tampico Hotels
Tijuana Hotels
Tulum Hotels
Veracruz Hotels
Villahermosa Hotels
Zihuatanejo Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.