Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Come teach and see rural China, Volunteer or get paid
bob8888
post Dec 16 2008, 03:17 PM
Post #1

Wayfarer

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 50553

We are looking for teachers (native English and Spanish speaking) to come to Yangshuo china and teach. We can also relocate you to other parts of China needing teachers. Check out www.chinaculturalcenter.com
It is a great way to enjoy China.
Bob
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Dec 16 2008, 03:24 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

What are the wages like? How does it compare to North America?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rauri
post Jan 5 2009, 07:49 AM
Post #3

Expeditionist

Group: Members
Member No.: 264986
Nominate me as a Local Expert

QUOTE(bob8888 @ Dec 16 2008, 03:17 PM) *

We are looking for teachers (native English and Spanish speaking) to come to Yangshuo china and teach. We can also relocate you to other parts of China needing teachers. Check out www.chinaculturalcenter.com
It is a great way to enjoy China.
Bob

I am also curious with the question that Starlagurl asked: "What are the wages like? How does it compare to North America?"
And would it be possible for a foreigner that was studying in china to teach english? Kind of like a part-time job?

--------------------
Traveling to China at the end of 2009. Any recommendations or tips would be well appreciated :)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Jan 5 2009, 12:54 PM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 124

How does it compare to North America?
Well for starters it won't have the b******t that's perfunctory in the west and it'll most likely be a fulfilling and highly rewarding experience. Thanks for the link Bob..

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
aopaq
post Jan 5 2009, 07:27 PM
Post #5

Tripper

Member No.: 893

QUOTE(rauri @ Jan 5 2009, 07:49 AM) *

I am also curious with the question that Starlagurl asked: "What are the wages like? How does it compare to North America?"
And would it be possible for a foreigner that was studying in china to teach english? Kind of like a part-time job?

I recently left my high-paying job in Canada to teach in China and the wage cut is definitely very significant. However, the cost of living here is relatively low so the wages you earn can allow you to live quite comfortably depending upon your lifestyle. But I should point out that in my case, I have a teaching degree, experience with ESL learners and was in the Canadian education system for over 10 years.

As for teaching English as a part-time job, that is definitely possible if you make the right connections as many people are looking for tutors for anything from 2-4 hours a week. In this case, the rate of pay can be quite good.

I have to agree with Scott that you won't have to deal with the same North American "bs" but there are issues with the Chinese education system (which I think probably differs depending on where and what type of school you teach in) that can be equally annoying. However, if you are able to easily "go with the flow" (which I find helps to make living in China less stressful), then you should be fine.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rauri
post Jan 5 2009, 07:37 PM
Post #6

Expeditionist

Member No.: 264986

QUOTE(aopaq @ Jan 5 2009, 07:27 PM) *

QUOTE(rauri @ Jan 5 2009, 07:49 AM) *

I recently left my high-paying job in Canada to teach in China and the wage cut is definitely very significant. However, the cost of living here is relatively low so the wages you earn can allow you to live quite comfortably depending upon your lifestyle. But I should point out that in my case, I have a teaching degree, experience with ESL learners and was in the Canadian education system for over 10 years.

As for teaching English as a part-time job, that is definitely possible if you make the right connections as many people are looking for tutors for anything from 2-4 hours a week. In this case, the rate of pay can be quite good.

I have to agree with Scott that you won't have to deal with the same North American "bs" but there are issues with the Chinese education system (which I think probably differs depending on where and what type of school you teach in) that can be equally annoying. However, if you are able to easily "go with the flow" (which I find helps to make living in China less stressful), then you should be fine.

Ah i see. Thanks for the information, that answered my questions. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Traveling to China at the end of 2009. Any recommendations or tips would be well appreciated :)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
happysheep
post Jan 8 2009, 10:17 AM
Post #7

Explorer

Member No.: 235138

I help out at a school in rural Yunnan in south-west China, and we are looking for volunteer (unpaid) teachers in February 10-25 2009 and also late July-August.
It is helping teach spoken English to kids aged 6-14 years old. The school provides you with accommodation, meals, entertainment and your onward transportation. Unlike some volunteer programs, you don't have to pay the organisation a fee to arrange this.
Past volunteers have rated their time in Yunnan at the school as a highlight of their time in
China.
Contact me for more info
HappySheep
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
bob8888
post Mar 4 2009, 01:56 PM
Post #8

Wayfarer

I will be returning to China in a few weeks. For those who asked about wages. Just keep in mind 10 times. You make 10 times less the North America but costs 10 times less in most areas. Once again we are talking about rural. I have spoken to some teachers in Shanghi and they get same as usa but cost of living is the same. It is the experience of a life time. Like to get some poeple iinto Yunan also. Once again www.chinaculturalcenter.com

Bob
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
bob8888
post May 24 2009, 03:01 AM
Post #9

Wayfarer

Don' t drink milk or eat can tuna. But all my food is grown fresh in the local farms. I have not been sick a day in 4 years. Neither has anyone I know who has visited me. I am not sure where you welfare house is but this place is two years old, over 1200 sq ft, 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, kitchen, dining area and huge living room. All furnished, including, cable TV and internet access, and Air conditioner. If you can find something for me in the USA for 5 times the price and a similar view. Oh, yes each room has a view of the hill and or the Li River. Tell me I like to see. But it is good to know that welfare housing is so good in the USA now. Tell you what you come and see. I can get you a room in the hotel down the street for less then $10 a day with all the amenities, a/c, TV, internet.
bob

QUOTE(mikefriend @ May 21 2009, 10:01 AM) *

QUOTE(bob8888 @ Mar 4 2009, 01:56 PM) *

I will be returning to China in a few weeks. For those who asked about wages. Just keep in mind 10 times. You make 10 times less the North America but costs 10 times less in most areas. Once again we are talking about rural. I have spoken to some teachers in Shanghi and they get same as usa but cost of living is the same. It is the experience of a life time. Like to get some poeple iinto Yunan also. Once again www.chinaculturalcenter.com

Bob

Come on Bob don't exaggerate. China is in no way shape or form 10 times cheaper than the USA.

A gallon of gas costs MORE in China than in the USA. A gallon of FRESH milk or even the irradiated stuff costs more in China than the USA. A can of tuna fish cost more and the quality is lower.

Things in China USED to be much less expensive but the slower economy and inflation is apparent here very much.

Sure you can rent an apartment for $125 a month. But it's not good, worse than a welfare room in any big US city.

China has many food items that are cheaper but the trade off is there are few if any heath standards when producing many of these items.

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
shangguan
post Jun 8 2009, 02:35 AM
Post #10

Pathfinder

Member No.: 255321

You still haven't mentioned what wages are like and what sort of housing you will receive if someone wants to teach.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
bob8888
post Jun 8 2009, 07:32 PM
Post #11

Wayfarer

Ok Let me try. Salary between 4000 to 5000 rmb ($600 to $700) a month. Room allowance is varied also. On Campus or an allowance of between 400 to 600rmb ($50 to $60). You can get a nice room furnished for around 300rmb. You can get a two bedroom apartment for around 600rmbo. Yangshuo is rather small and you can walk to most places within 15 minutes. Great bus system gets you all around for 1rmb.
There are many English training schools here and also several public vocational and middle schools who hire English speaking teachers. You are not going to hit the pot of GOLD here in wages but in experience and way of life. If you just are looking for the money go to Shanghi.
you can go to www.chinaculturalcenter.com for applications. You can go to www.itsaboutchina.com and search for Guilin and Yangshuo for more information
Good Luck
Bob

QUOTE(scottshangguan @ Jun 8 2009, 02:35 AM) *

You still haven't mentioned what wages are like and what sort of housing you will receive if someone wants to teach.

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
shangguan
post Jun 9 2009, 02:28 AM
Post #12

Pathfinder

Member No.: 255321

Teaching in China is a truly rewarding experience. I used to be a full time teacher, but now with my job I don't have time, so I just volunteer at a local village on the weekends. I find that I tend to learn as much from the children as they do for me. It is a great insight into their lives and you make memories and friends that will last the rest of your life.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 08:53 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in China

Beijing Hotels
Changchun Hotels
Changsha Hotels
Chengdu Hotels
Chongqing Hotels
Dalian Hotels
Dongguan Hotels
Foshan Hotels
Fuzhou Hotels
Guangzhou Hotels
Guilin Hotels
Haikou Hotels
Hangzhou Hotels
Harbin Hotels
Hefei Hotels
Hong Kong Hotels
Jinan Hotels
Kunming Hotels
Lanzhou Hotels
Lijiang Hotels
Nanchang Hotels
Nanjing Hotels
Nanning Hotels
Ningbo Hotels
Qingdao Hotels
Sanya Hotels
Shanghai Hotels
Shenyang Hotels
Shenzhen Hotels
Suzhou Hotels
Taiyuan Hotels
Tianjin Hotels
Urumqi Hotels
Wenzhou Hotels
Wuhan Hotels
Wuxi Hotels
Xi'an Hotels
Xiamen Hotels
Zhengzhou Hotels
Zhuhai Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.