Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Barcelona: Gaudi is a must, Genius of Catalonia will change the way you look at architecture
seanie blue
post May 16 2006, 06:00 PM
Post #1

Unregistered

If you only have ten euros, spend it at Casa Batllo.

Gaudi architecture is fine from the outside, but it is inside where the genius is displayed and felt. Gaudi is one of those secrets which culture vultures love to share in whispers; your own house will not look the same when you have touched Gaudi. Why don't we live in places like his?

You can check out some of my pictures and words from a visit to Batllo two months ago, at:

https://seanieblue.com

Just go to the 2006 link, and then to the Gaudi exhibit. Attached Image
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Barrett
post May 16 2006, 06:07 PM
Post #2

Nomad

Group: Members
Member No.: 423
Nominate me as a Local Expert

I made a point of seeing as much Gaudi architecture and design as I could in Barcelona and it was well worth it. Park Guell was a real treat and the cathedral he designed that won't be done for another 60 years or so (the name escapes me) it just stupendous, really overwhelming.
I fully recommend people go.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kris
post Sep 21 2006, 04:59 PM
Post #3

Pathfinder

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 370

i'm off to barcelona tommorow for a long weekend is there any more must sees to see whilst there? i'm gonna see the nou camp but might need some more ideas..

--------------------
IPB Image
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
whereshegoes
post Sep 21 2006, 05:09 PM
Post #4

Journeyer

Member No.: 5

I am sure you'll get there but DONT MISS LaRambla. Its a long pedestrian street where there are lots of shops and cafes. Have a cafe con leche or some sangria and enjoy some of the best people watching around!

Also, my favorite: Parc Guell

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Sep 22 2006, 09:12 PM
Post #5

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 124

La Ramblas - wonderful! Amazing bars and cafes tucked away right the way along. And there's a great seafood restaurant out on the wharf at the bottom end of Las Ramblas. Fat chunky prawns in garlic oil with huge chunks of catalan bread. Perfecto!

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Oct 10 2006, 11:27 AM
Post #6

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 13336

A friend sent me this NY Times article. It's not bad. I will certainly be out at the markets EARLY for some good photos!

Spain

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Oct 18 2006, 07:23 AM
Post #7

Rolling Stone

We are planning on seeing Barcelona and Atletico de Madrid play December 20th in Barcelona. I was on the site and almost booked the tickets, but have a question first. Is there an option to choose where you want to sit within the category you choose? I couldn't find an option on the site, just the option for which category or section one would want to sit. Maybe my eyes are failing me?! Maybe it is a first come first serve type thing? Barcelona Footie Tickets Appreciate any help.

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kris
post Oct 18 2006, 08:10 AM
Post #8

Pathfinder

don't buy them off that site.. i'd wait to buy them a couple of days before the game, the nou camp is massive and won't sell out for this game.. you should get them cheaper and be able point to the seat you want from the box office there

--------------------
IPB Image
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Oct 18 2006, 10:33 AM
Post #9

Rolling Stone

Hey Kris, thanks! Have you done that before? I wouldn't mind being able to choose a seat as if I get them in Cat 2, it still could be in various areas of the stadium. And by cheaper, what do you mean? Significantly? And by 'don't buy them off that site" do you mean don't buy them off any site, or don't buy them off THAT site"?

--------------------
~Susie

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
whereshegoes
post Oct 18 2006, 12:28 PM
Post #10

Journeyer

Member No.: 5

When I went there were lots of people selling ticket outside the game...I can't imagine how shadey they were tho.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Oct 18 2006, 12:52 PM
Post #11

Rolling Stone

Motivation for waiting would entail either saving some $$ or choosing the specific seat. On the saving $$, it would depend on how much. And on choosing the seat, guess I'll have to do a bit of research on that, b/c that would be ideal and worth it. If there's not much $$ to be saved, I'd just as well get the tix now. It just sucks when you don't know either way! Now I'm on a mission. This game is going to be great!

--------------------
~Susie

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Oct 18 2006, 01:20 PM
Post #12

Rolling Stone

UPDATE: I just got an e-mail back from Camp Nou that says no, it is not possible to choose your specific seat, only the category. Damn!

--------------------
~Susie

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kris
post Oct 18 2006, 01:23 PM
Post #13

Pathfinder

"don't but them off that site" sounded a bit abrupt but i thought it needed to be definite because you were so close to buying them, it wasn't ment just for THAT site as if it was a dodgy site but for any site because i was recommending buying it when you get there..
my creditionals of buying tickets in europe stretches to a game in rome and at the kuip in rotterdam..
it's a 90 odd thousand seater stadium and it's not a crucial part of the season so i'd say there is no rush for it. when i was there, me and my mate planned on seeing the valencia game and he was sure you can buy them on the door, we went drinking instead so missed out.
i've belled my mate in barca tonight and he said it can ba alot cheaper, he has bought tickets for games for 25 euros outside the stadium from a guy selling his season ticket..but he said it changes a little depending on seat and visiting team but he says everyone he works with that goes, buys it on the day from the box office..

my mate also said he will help with any more questions if you've got any?

--------------------
IPB Image
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Oct 18 2006, 01:50 PM
Post #14

Rolling Stone

Kris, you're a doll! I don't know what my problem is with waiting!! Some deep down fear of missing the match or something ridiculous like that!! This advice seems very logical. Thanks for ringing your pal. That's mighty nice of you. I just passed on this info to my mates. I am now fully non-reluctant to wait. Hopefully they feel the same. Seems like the best idea!!
Thanks! speak_cool.gif

--------------------
~Susie

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
clintonb
post Jan 1 2007, 09:20 PM
Post #15

Voyager

Member No.: 857

Gaudi is an absolute genius!

To think someone was skilled, artistic and especially daring enough to pull some of those design's out is absolutely amazing.

Here's some pics i took of the beautiful design's when i was there! (click below for the specific diary entry)
http://www.travelpod.com/cgi-bin/guest.pl?..._ALL_THUMBS=YES

His life work is amazing, Sagrada Familia! If you can only see one, see this! Its incomplete, and slowly being finished on the people's donations, but well worth the gander :o) Also, ensure that you get yourself up to the roof on the Casa Mila - very interesting!

Cheers...

--------------------
"Do not be afraid of death ...Be afraid of the half lived life!"

Europe & UK - 3 month backpacking adventure!
Latin America & Caribbean - Leaving everything I know, on a one-way ticket! - Currently On!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Jan 2 2007, 04:53 PM
Post #16

Rolling Stone

Gaudi totally blew me away. I've always been into architecture, but have never seen anything like his work, ever. I dreamed of the lines of design in my dreams after having seen the beauty of which is Gaudi's mind. I didn't get as many photos as I normally take, but i realised that the photos would never do the memories justice. I am very interested in learning more about him and his life and work when I get home and scrape some time together. Having a builder as a husband made it all that much more interesting to me as he saw things in the works I would never have seen without it being pointed out to me. Amazing.

--------------------
~Susie

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th August 2014 - 09:41 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.