Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Italy- family accommodations
gennarun
post Nov 30 2008, 06:51 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 262119

Hi guys,

We are planning to go to Italy in Feb. We will have three weeks and plan to spend them in Rome, Tuscany and Venice.

Any thoughts on affordable accommodations? We have three small children and it seems that the hotels won't allow three kids in the same room!?

Als, should we rent a car or take the train to these cities/region? We are looking to stay near Lucca in Tuscany. Thanks for your help!
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Dec 1 2008, 11:52 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

Hi Genna:

This hotel looks like it might be good for you. I just checked for a place in Rome, it offers "triple" rooms. (It's also ranked as the best hotel in Rome on TripAdvisor)
http://rome-hotels.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_R...Rome_Lazio.html

How young are your kids? A lot of times you can just say you only have two and make a little bed on the floor with extra blankets or you can also ask for a cot.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
bakasyonista
post Dec 2 2008, 10:15 AM
Post #3

Explorer

Member No.: 140128

Hi,

I also have 3 kids. We stayed on a bed and bkreakfast near the Pantheon in Rome and we stayed in Hotel Florida in Venice.

--------------------
"Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny." Frank Outlaw
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
gyl.johnson
post Dec 3 2008, 09:37 PM
Post #4

Nomad

Member No.: 89210

You should definitely rent a car. You can find good deals on the web before you arrive and Lucca is one of many gorgeous hilltowns in Tuscany. Trains to these locations are limited outside of the major cities . You'll miss out on some really beautiful landscapes as well as with kids, you'll want to have the flexibility that comes with having a car.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
iandb
post Dec 6 2008, 02:15 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 263566

Hi, we are frequent travellers to Italy and have one child. Most Italians love kids and most times i have found them to be very helpful.

Driving is always a flexible option...had enough then just stop..although there are advantages of train travel, especially in Rome and Venice. We suggested to friends of ours that they make Venice the last port of call, drive as far as Mastre (hope I spelt that correctly!) ditch the car and take the train across to Venice.....they took our advice and said it worked out well for them.

If you are interested you could have a look on www.italyandbeyond.com for more of our experieinces.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
andrea77
post Dec 11 2008, 09:52 PM
Post #6

Wanderer

Member No.: 264657

To find a good accommodation you can look at http://www.italybyitaly.com they have a vast selection of apartments, villas, bed and breakfast etc.. and very good prices!

--------------------
Camere a Londra Rooms in London
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Dec 12 2008, 09:26 AM
Post #7

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

Yes, but which ones are suitable for families?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
andrea77
post Dec 12 2008, 09:31 AM
Post #8

Wanderer

Member No.: 264657

In my opinion a villa is the best option for families

--------------------
Camere a Londra Rooms in London
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
cheli
post Dec 12 2008, 05:17 PM
Post #9

Pathfinder

Member No.: 48561

I would also recommend apartments - especially as I imagine you are planning on basing yourself in each area for a week? That starts to become very cost effective, especially as then you can eat in a few nights and save money that way.

Rome you probably won't need a car as there's enough to do there for a week just in the city, which is all easily accessed by walking or public transport.

I'd catch the train from Rome to Venice as it's an easy trip to make, Rome to Tuscany is also easy, Tuscany to Venice should also be doable by train.

Definitely look at hiring a car for Tuscany so you can see some of the hilltop towns - but if you stay in Florence you many only need to hire a car for a few days as you'll be busy with Florence the other days.

Venice you may want a car to look at the surrounding area, but consider you can also easily get to many of the nearby towns (Padua, Verona) by train so you whether you want a car there would depend on what you want to do.

Remember that while a car might seem like the easy option at home, getting used to driving in a foreign country, possibly on the other side of the road isn't necessarily conducive to the sense of peace most people search for when holidaying! With little kids it might even be easier to catch the train as stations are big and easy to get to, with no bothering about traffic and the like. My parents brought their GPS when they drove around Tuscany and found that to be valuable for the week they spent there.

--------------------
Happiness isn't a destination; it's a means of travelling
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
beautiful
post Dec 18 2008, 03:39 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 264930

QUOTE(gennarun @ Nov 30 2008, 06:51 AM) *

Hi guys,

We are planning to go to Italy in Feb. We will have three weeks and plan to spend them in Rome, Tuscany and Venice.

Any thoughts on affordable accommodations? We have three small children and it seems that the hotels won't allow three kids in the same room!?

Als, should we rent a car or take the train to these cities/region? We are looking to stay near Lucca in Tuscany. Thanks for your help!

angel1.gif
Your Vacation Apartment in Florence
Home in Florence offers very comfortable and well furnished lodgings located in the Centre of the town for temporary stays, holidays, tourism, artistic and cultural tours at convenient prices.

All the houses are inside ancient and historical buildings of the Old Florence, they are independent flats, very close to the most important museums and amenities of Florence city. Duomo, S.Croce, Old Bridge (Ponte Vecchio), Piazza Signoria, Uffizi, the river side (fiume Arno), are close to these Florentine houses, not far from the train station.

The apartments, country style furnished, are typical and characteristic homes of “Firenze Centro”.

In the historical centre
The apartments located in the historical are located in via dell' Agnolo, via delle Conce, via Faenza.

The houses are all well furnished and full equipped for short or long period of stay, vacation, study, job, artistic trips, cultural tours and so on.

Home in Florence proposes a homely management in fact all the flats belongs to the owners that directly offers them at very low prices, high quality and kind hospitality.

A good and warm hospitality and high quality of their flats are at the first place for HomeinFlorence.net People seeking a lodging in the full Centre of Florence (downtown) can find the right accomodation visiting our site.

Our Apartments
Apartment "Agnolo"
Max 2 people
280€/week
Book Now Details

Apartment "Le conce"

Max 6 people
650 €/week
Book Now Details

Apartment "Faenza 1"

Max 4+1 people
550 €/week
Book Now Details

Apartment "Faenza 2"

Max 2+1 people
280€/week
Book Now Details

Home in Florence - Your vacation apartment in Florence - email: info@homeinflorence.net - Tel. 0039 055 402261

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
holidayromerom
post Jul 4 2009, 03:31 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 284665

QUOTE(gennarun @ Nov 30 2008, 06:51 AM) *

Hi guys,

Leon Holiday Apartments
It is an agency providing holiday apartments for rent in the centre of Rome (Colosseum, Saint Peter Square. Vatican, Fontana di Trevi, Piazza Navona, Campo dè Fiori, Spanish Steps). They have different solutions and are very helpful. After booking they sent me a lot of tips about events in Rome and how to spend my days there. Finally the apartment was well serviced and finely furnished, while the price was a lot lower than an hotel. In my opinion the best way to stay in a city like Rome is to rent an holiday apartment or a bed & breakfast. Moreover Leon Holiday Apartments support your guests in every detail, from choosing the Rome apartment and location suiting you best, assisting you during your Rome vacations and providing with all the useful information to live the city. Additional services as guided visits, transfers or museums reservations. They have suggested to me a list the best restaurants in Rome, in the vicinity of our holiday apartments. Each of the central areas of the city where we are present is characterized by its own traditions and typical restaurants / pizzerias. Make sure to try these restaurants and trattorias during your visit in Rome...I think good food makes traveling even more enjoyable!
To more information see the web portal www.leonholidayapartments.com The stay has been cheaper and more comfortable than in the Hotel. I suggest everyone who is planning a trip to Rome to rent their apartment.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mariom
post Jul 17 2009, 04:21 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 288014

Hello there,
my suggestion is to go in apartments or bed and breakfast..
In rome there are many angencies specialized in offering centrally located apartments.
Also the bed and breakfast is a good solution, cheaper than the hotels and more warm.

Cheers!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kitkatgo
post Aug 25 2009, 04:33 PM
Post #13

Navigator

Member No.: 13816

When we have travelled with our children in Europe, I have found that apartments are the most economical way to go. But at the same time, you have more room/space to spread out and if you choose, you can try your hand at cooking using the local goods. I have rented apartments once in Barcelona, and twice in Paris, and it was very enjoyable!

When we take our kids to Rome some day, we will definitely rent an apartment. I generally like to stay in the historic centers so we can just walk or take public transport around the city. I would never want to drive around Rome...scary!

To get from city to city, we have rented a car, but usally take a train. The trains are generally a very effective means of transport. But it just depends on what you want to do, where you are going and you should compare prices between train vs rental car.

Renting an apartment is pretty easy to do...just Google the city you are interested in + "apartment" and you should have endless choices.

Good luck and have fun!

--------------------
~Kit
California Local Expert

Visit my travel blogs:
http://www.travelpod.com/members/kitkatgo
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lkaness
post Jul 1 2010, 10:32 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 1118851

I used homeaway.com to find an apartment only a mile from the Vatican. The price was so reasonable that I'm staying 23 days rather than the 10 nights in a hotel I had budgeted.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2014 - 07:40 PM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.