Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Accomodations near Kho San Rd, where is the best place for a budget traveller?
Barrett
post May 8 2006, 09:06 PM
Post #1

Nomad

Group: Members
Member No.: 423
Nominate me as a Local Expert

What's the best place to stay near or on Kho San Rd in Bangkok for a budget traveller in terms of the best price/quality mix, right atmosphere, some cool amenities, proximity to useful shops/bars etc?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
uncle_davros
post May 24 2006, 05:10 AM
Post #2

Planet Pioneer

Member No.: 226

Mate

This place is now so expensive. After India, it is hard to believe that I thought this place to be cheap !!!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post Nov 19 2006, 09:46 PM
Post #3

Navigator

Member No.: 98

Sorry this doesn't answer your question, but I would suggest if people are interested in seeing Thailand - DON'T stay at Khao San rd. It is a seedy, overpriced backpacker hovel, that has little to do with Thai culture.

At Soi 1 Kasemsan in Siam Square, there are plenty of other cheap guesthouses, still plenty of international backpackers and travellers to meet up with, but it is also mixed in a bit more with the Thai life. I think it is a much better start to a trip in Thailand.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Dec 4 2006, 03:18 PM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

I would suggest if people are interested in seeing Thailand - DON'T stay at Khao San rd.

I avoid Khao San at all costs. I also find it seedy and overpriced, and some of the behavior I have seen there is appalling. I'm not a prude, but there are so many disrespectful, drunken, rude tourists who care more about their drink then learning anything about Thailands people or culture. I'm afraid I haven't any suggestions as we stay with friends in the city. If anything, a few blocks away from Khao San might not be as bad....

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Dec 4 2006, 05:45 PM
Post #5

Planet Pioneer

Member No.: 692

I agree with some of the comments here but wouldn't agree with avoiding Khao San. It may have some depraved activities and be overpriced but I still believe it has it's place.

Bangkok is the centre of the SE Asia backpacker trail and as such needs a home, Khao San fits the bill. Who's to say that the people who frequent the establishments there don't go on to travel the rest of Thailand/Asia and need a place to relax? I certainly did after travelling for 4 months to get there!

I have to admit that the time I spent in Bangkok wasn't spent admirring the temples/sights the city has to offer, I was far too templed out by then. Instead I used the time to take a short break from the travel to soak up the infectious atmosphere, browse the knock-off stalls, eat at the stalls on the street, watch a few movies, spend countless hours walking around MBK, watch movies and drink a few beers until the small hours.

My first full day in Thailand I made an effort to see the sights in Bangkok and ended up walking up and down Khao San and the neighbouring streets all day! I was like a moth drawn to the bright lights. I returned to Bangkok 5 times in the 5 weeks I was in Thailand and still didn't see much. I think you need that sometimes. Next time I'll check out the sights and ride the trusty #47 bus again biggrin.gif

Excerpt from my diary:

I had been successful in every country so far and the few English people I have met have been sound, but the people on Khao San are not. Seeing a couple of shirtless, loud mouthed English guys strolling down the street was enough to make me wish I wasn't English. Infact it seemed that everyone on the street was English and all they were doing was sitting around drinking all day. I guess it's good that they are going a bit further than Ibiza these days but it's not really what I want to see on this trip. Enough said.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Dec 5 2006, 02:56 PM
Post #6

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 13336

True enough. I guess I shouldn't be so harsh. I have been to Khao San and have enjoyed myself there, but as the years went by, I got really sick of it.
It's not that everyone that goes there is a jack*$$, it's the jack*$$es that stand out to me. I hate seeing people really wasted and acting like total jerks to the Thai vendors at food stalls and such and also to other travellers. Khao San seems to be the area where this is prevalent. That kind of thing pisses me off when I see it in Toronto too though. License to be an A-Hole. I think some people feel alittle too much freedom and forget about respecting others. I also find that the age of the people who go there is getting younger and younger.
Sure Khao San has it's place. Yes, that's true, but it is certainly not the only area in Bangkok where there are deals to be found, tickets to be arranged, great stuff to buy and fantastic food to eat.
Some people treat Khao San as their security blanket when they are there, but it's so unnecessary......

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
uncle_davros
post Dec 5 2006, 02:58 PM
Post #7

Planet Pioneer

Member No.: 226

Um, I would miss it. I think it is a horrible place. To many drunk young kids with their tops off. This is SEA, show some respect

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
averyusa
post Dec 8 2006, 06:32 PM
Post #8

Wanderer

Member No.: 24255

I recently stayed at Thai Cozy and I found the location and price to be spot on. Everyone there was super nice and helpful.

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -- Mark Twain
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
stevejames
post Dec 8 2006, 06:57 PM
Post #9

Tourist

Member No.: 232

Soi Rambuttri is a good alternative - it's the road that runs parallel to Khao San opposite the police station. The further you go down, the quieter it gets. Some nice guesthouses and restaurants down there, you're still in the thick of the backpacker hub of SE Asia (if that's what you want), plus you can get a decent night's sleep as well!

I don't enjoy Khao San, but it has to be seen to be believed, and I'd recommend every traveller arriving in Bangkok to experience it for at least a night. Puts things into perspective. Plus it always comes in handy if you ever feel the need to point and laugh at a hippy.

--------------------
steve
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Dec 9 2006, 03:43 AM
Post #10

Planet Pioneer

Member No.: 692

I stayed on Soi Rambutri every time I got back to BKK. It's right round the corner from Khao San, has reasonable guesthouses/restaurants and movies on all day. I wouldn't ever stay on Khao San itself but it's nice to be close as you can get anything you want.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lodesafun
post Jan 1 2007, 10:37 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 32324

I used to stay at koh san rd whenever I visited Bangkok, but since 2002 it has lost it's shine for me. for above mentioned reasons.
I stay inthe sukhumvit area now. with the access to Cheap public transport and canals, I can get al around Bangkok EASY.
try the Soi1guesthouse on sukhumvit soi1. It's a friendly hostel with heaps of resouces for the budget traveler. 24 access.
www.soi1guesthouse.com
have fun
Lodes......
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lisartw
post Feb 18 2007, 05:10 AM
Post #12

Wayfarer

Member No.: 3672

QUOTE(stevejames @ Dec 8 2006, 06:57 PM) *

Soi Rambuttri is a good alternative - it's the road that runs parallel to Khao San opposite the police station. The further you go down, the quieter it gets. Some nice guesthouses and restaurants down there, you're still in the thick of the backpacker hub of SE Asia (if that's what you want), plus you can get a decent night's sleep as well!

I don't enjoy Khao San, but it has to be seen to be believed, and I'd recommend every traveller arriving in Bangkok to experience it for at least a night. Puts things into perspective. Plus it always comes in handy if you ever feel the need to point and laugh at a hippy.

We're staying on Soi Rambuttri, well a little street off of it at the Wild Orchid Guesthouse and it;s lovely. You're close enough to Khao san to go and have a look at the madness but far enough away to enjoy the quietness around the little back streets. you also get far more for your money here, there's loads of places to eat and drink and we not a far walk at all from the river. There's lots of places to stay down here, we've only had a look at two of them but literally found this place by having a drink here then asking someone who was checking out what it was like,

I dont think i'd like to stay on the Khao San Road but it's worth visiting at night and during to day to see what it's like. but I;m in agreement with some of the otehr comments on here, it is full of drunken westerners with most of their flesh hanging out. i'm no prude but I wish some people would have a bit more respect for their host country.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2014 - 06:08 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Thailand

Ayutthaya Hotels
Bangkok Hotels
Cha-am Hotels
Chaweng Hotels
Chiang Mai Hotels
Chiang Rai Hotels
Chon Buri Hotels
Hat Yai Hotels
Hua Hin Hotels
Kanchanaburi Hotels
Kathu Hotels
Khao Lak Hotels
Khon Kaen Hotels
Ko Lanta Hotels
Ko Phangan Hotels
Ko Phi Phi Don Hotels
Ko Tao Hotels
Krabi Hotels
Lampang Hotels
Loei Hotels
Mae Hong Son Hotels
Nakorn Ratchasima Hotels
Nakorn Si Thammarat Hotels
Narathiwat Hotels
Nonthaburi Hotels
Pai Hotels
Patong Hotels
Pattaya Hotels
Phangnga Hotels
Phetchaburi Hotels
Phitsanulok Hotels
Rawai Hotels
Rayong Hotels
Songkhla Hotels
Sukhothai Hotels
Surat Thani Hotels
Tak Hotels
Trang Hotels
Trat Hotels
Udon Thani Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.