Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> George the Dolphin, Able Tasman Park
nztravelguide
post Nov 14 2008, 05:01 PM
Post #1

Pathfinder

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 72601

George, local resident and water star, hurries to meet the Able Tasman sea shuttles catamarans every time they go out all the way to Awaroa Bay. Loves the people and shuns all the other dolphins. Smart cookie he is.

Historicaly known dolphins who enjoyed human company was "Opo" in the '50's in Northland where she entertained thosands. She juggled beach balls and beer bottles on her snout, made national headlines and even inspired a popular song.

In the late 1800's and early 1900's "Pelorus Jack" a white dolphin accompanied boats for 24 years in Pelorua Sound and French Pass in the Marlborough Sounds.

I notice now we have several hanging out year round in the Queen Charlotte Sound at Picton. Maybe one will become a legend?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Nov 17 2008, 10:26 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

Why do they do that? Is it just because they notice they get to eat more food if they do what the humans want? Or is it something more than that?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
nztravelguide
post Nov 17 2008, 02:09 PM
Post #3

Pathfinder

Member No.: 72601

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Nov 17 2008, 10:26 AM) *

Why do they do that? Is it just because they notice they get to eat more food if they do what the humans want? Or is it something more than that?

I lived 20 years in the Florida keys and spent a lot of time with dolphins that hung around our area. Their intelligence is very high. I had a friend who worked with them in captivity and each had a very refined personalty. These were bottle-nose dolphin that seems to have a real affinity for humans.
We had two at the marina where my boat was who lived there. Whenever we took the boat out they made sure to join us out the canal to the open sea and then they returned to the marina.
There was a small pool that they would go to in the evening and the person who lived there would feed them every night.
They were free to come and go as they liked and actually had babies there..........I have a lot of time for dolphins and used to swim with them a lot while living in the Caribbean and when we sailed south for the winter to Jamaica we always encountered hundreds in various pods and they all came to the boat to swim along the side............love 'em.............
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Nov 17 2008, 04:07 PM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

It reminds me a lot of the way that dogs act, the dolphins seem to be very loyal....hmm...

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 11:08 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in New Zealand

Akaroa Hotels
Arrowtown Hotels
Auckland Hotels
Blenheim Hotels
Christchurch Hotels
Coromandel Hotels
Dunedin Hotels
Fox Glacier Hotels
Franz Josef Hotels
Gisborne Hotels
Greymouth Hotels
Hamilton Hotels
Hanmer Springs Hotels
Hastings Hotels
Hokitika Hotels
Invercargill Hotels
Kaikoura Hotels
Kerikeri Hotels
Lake Tekapo Hotels
Mangere Hotels
Napier Hotels
Nelson Hotels
New Plymouth Hotels
Oamaru Hotels
Paihia Hotels
Palmerston North Hotels
Picton Hotels
Queenstown Hotels
Rotorua Hotels
Russell Hotels
Taupo Hotels
Tauranga Hotels
Te Anau Hotels
Timaru Hotels
Waiheke Island Hotels
Wanaka Hotels
Wanganui Hotels
Wellington Hotels
Whangarei Hotels
Whitianga Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.