Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Traveling east coast aus, oz experience bus
traveloz
post Aug 29 2010, 03:54 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1275451
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hi

I am looking for some advice. Me and a friend (both female 26/28yrs old) are planning to travel up the east coast of Aus from Melbourne to Cairns. We have 6 weeks to travel. I heard about the oz experience and STA travel recommended it to us. I noticed some online reviews were not good regarding the frequency of buses ete however alot of them were 2years old. It seems expensive 740 for warner pass!
I was wondering if anyone has done it recently and if its worth the money.

The other option is taking the greyhound and booking packages as we go along. Finding it difficult to make a decision between the two as there seems to be pros and cons for both and would welcome some personal experience. Hope you can help

Looking forward to hearing from you.
D
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
purplebuggy
post Sep 4 2010, 10:15 AM
Post #2

Tourist

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 282787

I've not really heard about "Oz Experience" but if it does help, the route from Melbourne to Cairns is well travelled by tourists of all budgets and lifestyles. It's quite easy to find your way around and find things to do without being on an organised tour bus.
I hope it helps and either way I'm sure you'll have a fantastic trip!

--------------------
pb

Diary of a Ranger-To-Be
Another year in the bushveld of South Africa (Jan 11 - now)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rossport
post Sep 21 2010, 05:23 PM
Post #3

Pathfinder

Member No.: 202074

I have heard of the bus company but not traveled it but here is a suggestion that may save you some money , it is called relocation campers this way u can stop and go as you please and is a cheap form of travel you have up to a month to get from point A to point B have a look at the current web page keep it in your favs and update closer to the time you are wanting to travel and see if there is a deal suitable for your travel dates

Cheers Stewart

http://www.apollocamper.com/reloc.aspx
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ashuuu
post Sep 25 2010, 10:55 PM
Post #4

Wanderer

Member No.: 1347381

QUOTE(traveloz @ Aug 29 2010, 03:54 PM) *

Hi

I am looking for some advice. Me and a friend (both female 26/28yrs old) are planning to travel up the east coast of Aus from Melbourne to Cairns. We have 6 weeks to travel. I heard about the oz experience and STA travel recommended it to us. I noticed some online reviews were not good regarding the frequency of buses ete however alot of them were 2years old. It seems expensive 740 for warner pass!
I was wondering if anyone has done it recently and if its worth the money.

The other option is taking the greyhound and booking packages as we go along. Finding it difficult to make a decision between the two as there seems to be pros and cons for both and would welcome some personal experience. Hope you can help

Looking forward to hearing from you.
D

hi...i think,Oz Experience bus will be best for you.It take 20 days from Sydney.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
andrea
post Oct 2 2010, 05:29 PM
Post #5

Globetrotter

Member No.: 2

I did Oz Experience down the East Coast when I was there... but that was back in 2001 (where does the time go???) At that time it was well priced and a great way to travel and meet other backpackers. Unless something drastic has changed, I would highly recommend it!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
seangove
post Nov 12 2010, 10:43 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 689251

I did Oz Experience in April this year, and it cost me just under $500 starting from Byron bay (I think?) up to Cairns. We decided to start in Surfer's Paradise just because of limited time.

Its a great tour and it provides you with flexibility for how long you want to stay in an area. The staff help you book hostels and excursions along the way. The towns that you stop in know about Oz Experience and can help you find the pick-up location if you feel lost.

I would definitely recommend their tours, if your interested in what you can accomplish while their east coast tour (from Surfer's to Cairns) take a peak at my blog.

smile.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
nixsboys
post Nov 14 2010, 12:57 PM
Post #7

Globetrotter

Member No.: 80958

I would recommend them. I travelled down from Cairns to Byron Bay with them and made some great friends along route. They do organise evening drinks (which help people meet each other) and point out things along route.

For me the most convenient part of using Oz Experience is that I had only 3 weeks down the east coast and it made it easier being able to book accommodation on the bus or arrange my Whitesundays tour as they had all the options to hand and you were 'guaranteed' a spot on one of the sail boats.

I also used the Greyhound when travelling up the centre with a friend and it is comfortable way to get from A to B. And if you ask at the Rest Stops a lot of the bus drivers are happy to answer any questions and give their opinions of their surroundings smile.png

If you have the time and are looking at saving money then I would compare prices of passes (I think Greyhound also do a East Coast Pass) as you can always make good friends whereever you choose to stay.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 05:51 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Australia

Adelaide Hotels
Airlie Beach Hotels
Albany Hotels
Albury Hotels
Alice Springs Hotels
Apollo Bay Hotels
Ballarat Hotels
Bendigo Hotels
Brisbane Hotels
Broadbeach Hotels
Broome Hotels
Byron Bay Hotels
Cairns Hotels
Caloundra Hotels
Canberra Hotels
Coffs Harbour Hotels
Coolangatta Hotels
Darwin Hotels
Hervey Bay Hotels
Hobart Hotels
Launceston Hotels
Mackay Hotels
Main Beach Hotels
Margaret River Hotels
Maroochydore Hotels
Melbourne Hotels
Mooloolaba Hotels
Newcastle Hotels
Noosa Hotels
Palm Cove Hotels
Perth Hotels
Pokolbin Hotels
Port Douglas Hotels
Port Macquarie Hotels
Rockhampton Hotels
St Kilda Hotels
Surfers Paradise Hotels
Sydney Hotels
Toowoomba Hotels
Townsville Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.