Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A Problem with some, A "letter to the editor" I wrote re: bad camper van people
nztravelguide
post Nov 12 2008, 02:14 AM
Post #1

Pathfinder

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 72601

re: article Making Waves In cool campervans - Business section -
Tuesday, April 10 - This article was about Escape Vans
plus I have attached a photo I took the other day that prompted me to write another about the dis-respect of everyone.............and I am not a prude but............

My answer:

Dear Editor:

How these campervans are destroying clean green New Zealand

I am a travel writer living and working 24/7-365 days a year from a seven metre self-contained bus traveling New Zealand. I am constantly in contact with Holiday Park owners, Council staff and am in visual contact on a daily basis with the many vans on the road. I take note of what they are doing and where they go just by virtue of being there myself as a part of the whole.
I am very familiar with the Escape vans and am quite impressed with the way they have marketed their concept. A very large problem has eminated from their style of rentals and all others of like style.
The business article on Escape vans stated: “European tourists realise an onboard toilet and shower are not necessary in New Zealand”.
Then it goes on to infer by Mr. McGregor that these people who rent the vans use our camp grounds. Rarely true! They generally park overnight where it is free.
Perhaps if he actually went on the road he would see the amount of his vans parked off the road in areas they do not have to pay for and shouldn’t be parked overnight.
The biggest problem by all of New Zealand motorhome people (30,000 members of the New Zealand Motor Caravan Association) is we are faced every day with complaints about the vans like Escape by holiday park owners and Council members who monitor the situation.
The problem lies in the fact these vans, without any toilets and cooking facilities, park in areas where they leave behind toilet paper and their personal waste along our streams and on the land. Trash is everywhere. Open fires are prevalent. Because of the fact these Escape vans are so noticeable, as are a couple of other companies, I personally see them
actually fouling the countryside and yes the majority are Europeans. Not picking on them but having conversations with the renters of these vans (I speak with dozens) and I have yet to talk to an Aussie, a Brit an American parked off the road away from a holiday park overnight and running off to the bush for their toilet. Maybe that is why in Europe the facilities are bloody tragic as Mr. McGregor stated in the article.
Having interviewed Mayors and Council members for articles on their areas relative to freedom camping the biggest cause of problems are these camper vans without facility.
Many places are being closed down to all of us because of it. Holiday camp owners are up in arms at the fact almost daily they see within their radius one of these vans parked off the road for the night. Yes they are getting by cheap and we get the New Zealand countryside littered with their refuse as payment.
I also receive a lot of complaints from campground owners who are constantly finding these vans have sneaked into their camp after hours, use the facility and sneak out before anyone notices them. It became so bad for one park owner they had to install an automatic gate whereby only those registered could come and go.
I also receive a lot of information from members of the New Zealand Motor Caravan Association relative to what they see while on the road. For an example: One relayed to me the following: He watched as a person parked near him, who had been there all night, got out of his van toilet paper in hand and headed into the bush. Upon his return he told the person this was not the way to treat New Zealand. The person from the van told him
he just didn’t give a damn and go to hell. This sort of total disregard is the average concept of these visitor to our shore.
So, as a result of this the Kiwi self-contained camper van traveler is losing places to park overnight and also finding many of these places so filthy and ruined they can’t. Lovely looking vans but many of the people who rent them are destroying clean green New Zealand and don’t care.
All vehicle rental companies sending people out into our countryside should either provide proper facility or it should be made a law the people renting the vans must stay overnight in a campground with proper facilities.
The new environmental catch phrase is everyone worries about global warming. New Zealand will be destroyed by reckless and uncaring people deficating in our bushes and trashing our country long before we have to worry about the water rising.

Attached Image
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Nov 12 2008, 11:29 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

This got published in the paper right? Good for you! Those people sound ridiculous...

Can you tell me what the point of painting the word masturbate on the side of a van is again?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rozdrury
post Dec 21 2012, 02:00 AM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 2826913

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Nov 12 2008, 11:29 AM) *

This got published in the paper right? Good for you! Those people sound ridiculous...

Can you tell me what the point of painting the word masturbate on the side of a van is again?

Point well made. we hired an Apollo Motorhome with Toilet and shower and it all worked out well for us. Easy to use, keep clean, empty etc
The Doc campsites had facilities any way! No need to go bush!

Check my link
http://www.apollocamper.com/happycampers/t...-zealand/1925-1

for my entry to a comp. you can enter too if it is before xmas 2012 you read this.

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 12:48 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in New Zealand

Akaroa Hotels
Arrowtown Hotels
Auckland Hotels
Blenheim Hotels
Christchurch Hotels
Coromandel Hotels
Dunedin Hotels
Fox Glacier Hotels
Franz Josef Hotels
Gisborne Hotels
Greymouth Hotels
Hamilton Hotels
Hanmer Springs Hotels
Hastings Hotels
Hokitika Hotels
Invercargill Hotels
Kaikoura Hotels
Kerikeri Hotels
Lake Tekapo Hotels
Mangere Hotels
Napier Hotels
Nelson Hotels
New Plymouth Hotels
Oamaru Hotels
Paihia Hotels
Palmerston North Hotels
Picton Hotels
Queenstown Hotels
Rotorua Hotels
Russell Hotels
Taupo Hotels
Tauranga Hotels
Te Anau Hotels
Timaru Hotels
Waiheke Island Hotels
Wanaka Hotels
Wanganui Hotels
Wellington Hotels
Whangarei Hotels
Whitianga Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.