Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Johannesburg
cherylg
post Nov 9 2008, 05:21 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 253703

Hiya,

A friend of mine has recently taken up a new job in Johannesburg - was thinking of going out to visit her next year sometime - has anyone got any recommendations, etc? What is johannesburg like anyway? Obv never been so any tips/recommendations very gratefully appreciated smile.gif

C xxx smile.gif
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Nov 10 2008, 12:07 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

A really helpful way of finding out about a place before you go is perusing the TravelPod blogs.

I've never been, but here are some recent blogs about Johannesburg that should help:
http://www.travelpod.com/blogs/0/South%20A...hannesburg.html

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
off_road_clara
post Dec 14 2008, 12:37 PM
Post #3

Drifter

Member No.: 430

Hi Cheryl

You should definitely go and visit your friend! Joburg is an up-and-coming city, and very easy to get around, especially is you have a friend that can take you to the cool areas (music, cafes, etc). There are also some amazing museums (see my entry on the Apartheid museum) and you are close enough to Soweto is you want to see what a modern day township looks like.
South Africa is a positive country, and a great place to see wildlife (Hluhluwe-iMfolozi, Pillanesburg, Kruger Parks), and learn about African history (Mrs. Platt - the oldest human skeleton is in Jozi). From Joburg you can also easily get a cheap flight to Cape Town (beautiful, friendly, coast, mountains) - which is worth it to.

Either way, it's worth the trip. If you need any more help, don't hesitate to ask or send me a message.

All the best,
Off_road_Clara

--------------------
Welcome to my world. Hop on board with Off Road Clara
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ramtuli
post Nov 26 2009, 11:55 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 535581

QUOTE(cherylg @ Nov 9 2008, 05:21 AM) *

Hiya,

A friend of mine has recently taken up a new job in Johannesburg - was thinking of going out to visit her next year sometime - has anyone got any recommendations, etc? What is johannesburg like anyway? Obv never been so any tips/recommendations very gratefully appreciated smile.gif

C xxx smile.gif

Hi, Johannesburg is part of a metropolitan area that is very large indeed. MANY things to do to name a few: Gold Reef City, Aparthieds museum, Lesedi Cultural Village, Soweto, Elephant Sanctuary, Sun City, Sterkfontein Caves, Maropeng (cradle of human kind), variuos zoo's, and a lot more.

When you want to go a bit further, book yourself on a tour to the Kruger Park, any private game reserve (Thornybush, Manyeleti, etc etc) but of course the private reserves are very expensive! Visit the animal rehabilitation centre (see my blog) snake parks, canyons.

There is so much to do, all depending on your budget and of course the time of year you will be visiting - keep in mind school holidays (everything gets more expensive), public holidays etc. Very confusing!!!

Send me an email and I will help you, I have been everywhere!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2014 - 10:50 PM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.