Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Everest Base Camp Trek????
bemack00
post Nov 6 2008, 11:42 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 256333
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hello I am very interested in doing a hike to base camp of everest, to include good views of actual Everest. along the way. Unfortunately I must have the trip limited to no more than 14 days. Please any recommended routes as well as travel / trekking companies would be very well appreciated. I spent 2 weeks in India last December and loved it and I plan to return to the region sometime in 2010. One last question, what time of the year would be recommended for this trip. thanks Brandon
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Nov 7 2008, 09:29 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

Hiya, check out THIS thread. It's got some useful information from other travelers on it. Hope it helps a little. I've not trekked there so can't offer any other advice. Good luck and have a great time!

"Generally, they say the best time to trek is from October to early December"

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Nov 7 2008, 11:27 AM
Post #3

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

I found a couple of blogs of people who took short Everest treks, I hope they help you:

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entri...76620/tpod.html

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entri...66740/tpod.html

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entri...30300/tpod.html

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
moodyblues
post Mar 12 2009, 09:35 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 272474

There are lot of travel agents there in nepal who can guide u for that. you can google andf find out. Ever been to Bhutan. There is this beautiful base camp trek called chomolhari base camp trek. If you are a hard core trekker then you should try out snow men trek which is one of the hardest in the world...

greetings from Bhutan

cheers
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
neel24
post May 18 2009, 06:42 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 279117

QUOTE(bemack00 @ Nov 6 2008, 11:42 PM) *

Hello I am very interested in doing a hike to base camp of everest, to include good views of actual Everest. along the way. Unfortunately I must have the trip limited to no more than 14 days. Please any recommended routes as well as travel / trekking companies would be very well appreciated. I spent 2 weeks in India last December and loved it and I plan to return to the region sometime in 2010. One last question, what time of the year would be recommended for this trip. thanks Brandon

Duration 14 days
Trek / Tour Destination – Everest Base Camp (5364m.)
Walking Hour – Normally 4 to 5 Hours Every Day
Grade:Moderate to fairly challenging
Maximum altitude: 5357m
Activity: Trekking
Starts in: Kathmandu - Ends in: Kathmandu
Trek type:TH (Tea House / Lodge)
Accommodation:Hotel, lodge (tea house)
Best Time for Trek – except during monsoon [July & August]
[FOT: Fully Organized Trek or Camping Trek
TH: Tea House (Lodge)
GAP: Guide, Accommodation & Porter]

Visit http://www.nepal-trekking-tour.com
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
govindapanta
post Mar 14 2010, 04:56 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 836741

Everest Base Camp trek - (14 Days) fly in/fly out

Everest Base Camp trek is one of the popular choices of almost all the trekkers. If you wish to experience the close up and magnificent vista of the highest mountain peak in the world, Everest, this is the ideal trek for you.
The Everest Base Camp trek trail leads you on a mesmerizing passage through the famous Sherpa village of Namche Bazaar, Tengboche monastery while relishing the breathtaking sights of Mt. Everest, Ama Dablam, Lhotse and numerous other snow clad peaks.

Trip Hightlights:
Duration: 14 Days
Type of Trek : Tea House (Lodge)
Max Altitude: 5545 m.
Minimum Pax: 1 +
Mode of travel: Flight
Grade: Moderate

Outline Itinerary
Day 1 Fly from Kathmandu to Lukla (2886m.) which takes about 30 minutes. Trek from Lukla to Phakding (2640 m.) which takes approximately three hours.
You begin your trek from Lukla following a gentle climb up the mountainside on the left bank of the Dudh Koshi River. Nupla (5885m) which can be seen in the distance on the opposite bank is a peak atop the Kongde Ridge. You descend a mountainside path that merges into your route to Everest, with views to a valley to your right; and at its far end, Kusum Kang (6367m.) The Dudh Kosi approaches as you pass a Mani wall and arrive at a Ghat teahouse. You continue along a small path with many climbs and descents following the left bank of Dudh Koshi to Phakding. Stay overnight at lodge.
Day 2 Trek from Phakding to Namche Bazaar (3440m.) takes approximately five hours. The trail starts along a level path along the right bank. Thamserku looms skyward on the opposite bank. You cross a stream and climb the terraced hill from the Dudh Koshi route, to arrive at Bengar. The trail now climbs from the riverbed on the left bank into the mountain, through a forest to Chumoa. You continue along a path with many ups and downs; cross a stream, and pass by the tiny village of Monjo. Now you descend the path of stone steps and return to the right bank over a wooden bridge. After a short climb you come to Jorsale’s teahouse and hotel, you also stop at the National Park Service where a park entrance fee is collected. After your departure from Jorsale, you enter a forested mountainside. You follow a short walk along the riverbed of this V-shaped valley where the river forks - the right is the Dudh Koshi and the left is the Bhote Koshi that leads to Nampa La. After a short distance along the Bhote Koshi, you begin the steep ascent to Namche Bazar. As the mountain path zigzags uphill, you will emerge at a ridge top rest area that offers excellent views of Everest (8848m) and Lhotse (8516m.) The climb eases somewhat, and Namche Bazar appears ahead as you travel along the path surrounded by pines. Namche Bazar (3440m) is surrounded on three sides by mountain ranges and opens out only where it faces the Bhote Koshi. Stay overnight at a lodge in Namche.
Day 3 A day for rest at Namche Bazaar (3440m.) for acclimatization. It is an ideal place to spend a rest day for acclimatization to the high altitude before heading off towards Tyangboche. For acclimatization you walk up to Khhumjung where you can visit a monastery. Khhumjung is densely populated by the Sherpa community. You can also enjoy the splendid views of Everest, Ama Dablam, Thamserku, Nuptse, Lhotse, Tawche, and Kwangde and so on. Or you can take an hour's walk up to Syangboche (3800m.) where Everest View Hotel is situated above Namche for an outstanding view of Everest, Nuptse, Lhotse, Ama Dablam, Thamserku and Kusum Kangaru. There are also good views from the National Park Centre and Museum just above the town. This museum exhibits Sherpa culture. Stay overnight at lodge in Namche.
Day 4 Trek from Namche Bazaar to Tyangboche (3867m.) which takes about five hours. Leave the village for a climb to the top of a ridge and level mountain path that offers an excellent panorama of Thamserku, Kantega, and Kusum Kangrib. To the right there is a steep cliff that drops down to the Dudh Koshi, faintly visible on the valley floor below. Make your way around a branch ridge, and Ama Dablam (6812m) Everest, Lhotse, Nuptse (7855m) and Tawoche (6501m) suddenly appear. After a gentle descent the mountain path ends; you will come to the fork leading to Gokyo. You descend past two tea houses through the village of Trashinga. Though you cannot see it, you can hear the Dudh Koshi and soon you descend to the river and arrive at Phunki Tenga. It is a long climb to Tyangboche; the first half is especially steep. As you climb through the forested zone, the incline eases and a splendid view appears. You continue climbing the mountainside diagonally until you come to the stone gate built by lamas which marks your entry into Tyangboche (3860m). You may use the large plateau in front of the splendid monastery as your campsite. Stay overnight at lodge.
Day 5 Trek from Tyangboche to Dingboche (4260m.) which takes approximately five hours. Leave Tyangboche and the Khumbu mountains as a backdrop-and descend a rhododendron covered area to emerge on a pleasant level area. You continue to Minlinggo and leave the mountain path to cross over a suspension bridge to the left bank of the Imja Khola. Climb the mountain path while looking up at Ama Dablam and Kantega (6779m) as they appear on the opposite bank. Ascend the chorten-lined route, come to a fork, the upper path passes Pangboche and a monastery, take the lower path to Pangboche Olin and its stone wall-enclosed potato field. Pass through the village and cross a stream to a path skirting a rocky area to terraced hills along the riverbank. The trails climb slowly, winding above the Imjatse River, to a big Mani Stupa. From here, the walk is fairly moderate as you enter the Imjatse Valley beneath the mighty peaks of Ama Dablam, Nuptse and Lhotse with views of the eastern snow capped mountains including the Island Peak or Imjatse (6,189m). Dingboche is a beautiful patchwork of fields enclosed by stone walls protecting the crops of barley, buckwheat and potatoes from the cold winds and grazing animals. Stay overnight at lodge.
Day 6 Rest day at Dingboche (4260 m.) for acclimatization. There are some breathtaking views of the North face of Ama Dablam and the Lhotse-Nuptse ridge as you explore this beautiful valley that leads up to Island Peak. The walk is short with a good chance to relax in the afternoon. You have another option as you can hike upto Chhukum. From here you can enjoy the panoramic view of Island peak, Ama Dablaml, Makalu, Tawoche peak and others. On the same day you come back to Dingboche and take rest. Stay overnight at lodge.
Day 7 Trek from Dingboche to Lobuche (4930m.) which takes about five and half hours. The onward journey leads north for up to 50-minutes until you come to a mani-prayer Stupa. The trail follows a downward path to Pheriche village. Today's walk offers views of the Mt.Tawache, Ama Dablam and to the north-Pokalde (5741m), Kongma-tse (5820m) and the great wall of Nuptse. After two hours walk, the trail from Pheriche joins near Dugla (4595m) before a small wooden bridge over the river of Khumbu glacier. You stop at Dugla, for lunch, before continuing for an hour up a steep hill to the top, where there are views of Mt. Pumori and other peaks west of Everest. After a short break, continue trekking up to Lobuche, hidden and sheltered from the wind. Stay overnight at lodge.
Day 8 Trek from Lobuche to Everest Base Camp (5486m.) via Gorakshep (5180m.) which takes about seven hours. Trek up the valley following the rocky moraine path, view icy glacial ponds and icebergs down below of the Khumbu glacier. After the last rocky moraine dunes, a short downhill walk brings you to Gorakshep, the flat field below Kala Patthar (5545m) and Mt. Pumori (7145m.) Gorakshep is the location of the original Everest Base Camp with the new camp being further up the valley. Now the trail winds through a rocky path and the Khumbu glacier. The view of Nuptse, Lho-La and Khumbutse appears at the front of you. Sometimes an avalanche can be seen on the way. After witnessing a great moment, you retrace your steps back passing through the Khumbu glacier with magnificent views of Lobuche, Cholatse, Mt. Pumori and Tabuche. Stay overnight at lodge.
Day 9 Trek from Gorakshep to Kala Patthar (5545m.) and then to Pheriche (4243m.) takes about six hours. You accomplish an early morning climb to Kala Patthar (5545m.) and enjoy the view of sunrise. From Kala Patthar you can have a panoramic view of Mt. Everest and many other mountain peaks like Mt. Pumori, Mt. Lingtren, Mt. Khumbetse, Mt. Nuptse, Mt. Lhotse, Mt. Ama Dablam, Mt. Thamserku and many more peaks. Yaks are normally used as four-legged porters in this area. The town of Pheriche is known to be a very windy town. Around here you can see the perpendicular walls of Cholatse and Tawache. Also located here is the Himalayan Rescue Association Aid Post and foreign volunteer doctors are available here most time of the year to provide medical treatment to trekkers as well as the local people. Stay overnight at lodge.
Day 10 Trek from Pheriche to Tyangboche (3867 m.) which takes approximately four hours. You can have a morning visit to the research center. Then, trek back to Tyangboche, an easier descent passing through rhododendron forest and continue walking to Tyangboche. It is a small village with a famous monastery offering you splendid views of Ama Dablam, lush green hills and river views. Stay overnight at lodge.
Day 11 Trek from Tyangboche to Namche Bazaar (3440 m) which takes about four and half hours. The walk from Tyangboche is mostly downhill on the main busy trail with a few steep climbs for an hour from the bridge at Phungitenga, near to Shanasha. The walk to Namche is very scenic on a long winding path. En route you will visit traditional villages of Khumjung and Khunde. From Khumjung village another 30 minutes walk brings you to the village of Khunde, where you can visit the Khunde Hospital funded by Sir Edmund Hillary Trust. After Khunde, a scenic and pleasant walk brings you to Namche for an overnight stay.
Day 12 Trek from Namche Bazaar to Phakding (2640m.) which takes about four hours. The trails descend steeply for about one and half hours. After that, the path has small ups and down to Phakding through Monjo. Stay overnight at lodge.
Day 13 Trek from Phakding to Lukla (2886m) which takes about three hours. Your final day's trekking follows the Dudh Koshi back down to Lukla. This last evening in the mountains is the ideal opportunity for a farewell party with the Sherpa guides and porters, taste chhang (a purely brewed local beer very popular on the mountains of Nepal) and do a jig to a Sherpa dance. Stay overnight at lodge in Lukla.
Day 14 Fly from Lukla to Kathmandu which takes 30 minutes. You take an early morning flight back to Kathmandu.

The price includes the following services:
• Airport pick-up and drop off services
• Trekking guide
• Porter/s (1 porter can carry two people's luggage up to 30 kilograms)
• Entry permit for Sagarmatha National Park
• Trekkers' Information Management System(TIMS) card
• All land transportation (from hotel to airport and from airport to hotel)
• All meals 3 times a day (breakfast, lunch and dinner)
• Accommodation in teahouses (lodges) during the trek
• Necessary equipment such as sleeping bags, down jackets, etc.
• Rescue Assistance
• Insurance and equipment for the Nepali staff
• First Aid kit
• Flight ticket from Kathmandu to Lukla and from Lukla to Kathmandu for all articipants including Nepali staff
• Airport tax at Kathmandu domestic airport and Lukla airport
The price does not include:
• Nature of personal expenses
• Drinks, beverages, hot shower, etc.
• Tips
• Hotel accomodation, meals in Kathmandu

Best time: September 15th to November 15th
Govinda Panta
Chairman
Adventure Pilgrims Trekking, Pvt. Ltd.
Gpo. Box: 14459, Thamel, Kathmandu, Nepal.
Tel: +977-1-4424635, 4416120 office
Fax: +977-1-4416120
Mobile: +977-98510-77190
+977-1-4880600 Res.
E-mail:
govindapanta@gmail.com
info@trekinepal.com
contact@trekinepal.com
sales@trekinepal.com
www.newnepaltreks.com
www.trekinepal.com
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mario.ghobrial
post Sep 8 2011, 07:44 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 2247123

Hey since you are experienced i have a few questions to ask.

We are looking to climb to Everest Base Camp early December. This will be our first Major trek at high altitudes. I am very fit and exercise 5 days a week.

We are not experienced trekkers and just need some general advice on the trek. Looking to know more info on the following.

1) Would you advise to climb Everest without an experienced guide.
2) Do you need special equipment or gear?
3) Is early December ok to do the climb.

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mario.ghobrial
post Sep 8 2011, 09:30 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 2247123

Thankyou

Your advice has been extremely helpful.

I may have a couple of more questions as my trip draws closer.

Take Care
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
govindapanta
post Sep 8 2011, 11:17 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 836741

You are welcome, i hope that you will write me on my private e-mail, govindapanta@gmail.com
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
soundname
post Dec 8 2011, 09:21 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 2390063

Why do not travel by bike in Shanghai as well as its surburbs. It's a marvelous experience. You can meet many interesting people. Exposed in Forest park, you wiil spend several days to travel arouond that place. You don't need any Interpretation Service, because many Chinese can speak fluent Englsih.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
njadhikari
post Dec 27 2012, 02:46 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 205860

clapping.gif clapping.gif We have had a fantastic two week trek to Everest base camp. Our Guide and porter. Sanjib and Pemba have been excellent and very attentive looking after us.Sanjib is a very good guide and taught us allot about Nepali culture. Pemba was a brilliant porter. We think he will make an excellent guide in future.The level of service from both Sanjib and Pemba was superb. They were available all the way to help us with anything we needed, and both were thoughtful about anything we might require, water, food showers, accommodation. Sanjib's knowledge of the area and the lodges meant that we were always happy with our accommodation. He took care to visit places which were comfortable and had home stay feel. Sanjib have the qualities to be excellent guide and porter and to give all his clients a wonderful trekking experience.We highly recommend him.
-Nedeen & Alisha,USA .
Email-sanjib-adhikari@hotmail.com
www.hikehimalayas.com
www.nepalguideinfo.com
Mobile No+9779841613822

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 11:23 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Nepal

Annapurna Region Hotels
Balthali Hotels
Bandipur Hotels
Beni Hotels
Bhaktapur Hotels
Bharatpur Hotels
Biratnagar Hotels
Butwal Hotels
Charikot Hotels
Chitwan District Hotels
Daman Hotels
Dhading Hotels
Dhangadhi Hotels
Dhulikhel Hotels
Gati Hotels
Ghandruk Hotels
Gorkha Hotels
Janakpur Hotels
Jiri Hotels
Jomosom Hotels
Kagbeni Hotels
Kathmandu Hotels
Kirtipur Hotels
Kurintar Hotels
Lukla Hotels
Lumbini Hotels
Mahendranagar Hotels
Meghauli Hotels
Mustang Region Hotels
Nagarkot Hotels
Namche Bazaar Hotels
Nepalgunj Hotels
Nuwakot Hotels
Patan (Lalitpur) Hotels
Pokhara Hotels
Sauraha Hotels
Sunsari Hotels
Tansen Hotels
Tengboche Hotels
Thami Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.