Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> If "Subscribe" doesn't get folks automatic updates - just what does it do???
globalgirl
post Aug 22 2010, 11:10 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 98921
Nominate me as a Local Expert

O.k., I don't get it. I've waded through the help forums, but still don't understand just what "Subscribe" (a.k.a. "Get email updates") does.

When one clicks on the Get email updates, it brings you to a screen where my blog visitors can input their email address along w/ a "Subscribe" button, and (most importantly) it states there that:

"By subscribing to globalgirls travel blog you will receive email notifications when their blog is updated"

I also get an email advising me that so'nso has subscribed to my blog, and their username/email addy is added to my address book with a little "subscribed" icon next to it.

Yet... in reality (and seemingly the repeated answer from Jacquesl here in the forums) is that subscribed folks don't automatically get anything - unless I choose to MANUALLY send them a notification each time I add a new entry to my blog.

But I don't get it - in my address book, those that have "subscribed" are duly noted - yet when it comes to notification, they seem to be treated the very same way all others (non-subscribed) in my address book are treated, i.e. I have to MANUALLY check both the subscribers and the non-subscribers for them to be notified.

In short, exactly what is it that "Subscribe" does for the subscriber?

I guess I would have thought that by subscribing, folks would AUTOMATICALLY get each update regardless if I manually (and imho, redundantly) check their box to specifically send them a notification.

IOW, if subscribing to my blog doesn't get folks automatic updates, then... just what does it do?

P.S. And please, let's not get into RSS feeds. While I happily use such to read my favorite news/blog updates - suffice that for most folks, the concept of setting up a reader, etc. is overwhelming. Point is - we're talking about the travelpod "Subscribe" function here - and what does it do?

P.P.S. And 2nd question (as long as we're on the subject) - when someone "Subscribes" (not that it seems to buy them anything, but...) are they subscribing to ALL my blogs or can they subscribe to my individual (i.e. Morocco vs. South Africa vs. Egypt) blogs? I'm thinking the answer is the former, but it would be great if it were the latter, as some folks may be interested in one of my trips, but not all of them.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ericlussier
post Aug 23 2010, 04:16 PM
Post #2

Pathfinder

Group: TP Staff
Member No.: 164003

Halo!

Subscribing to someone's blog simply adds you to their Address Book.

As for automatically sending notifications, once upon a time we used to do exactly that. Bloggers and "subscribers" got annoyed because they received notifications for entries that only had a few lines of text or one picture.

So in the end we left it to the discretion of the blogger whether or not to send a notification.

By default, when you land on the Send Notification page, everyone in the address book is selected, so it's just a 1-click operation to send it out.

We don't currently support subscribing to one particular blog but it is indeed a good idea. I'll keep it in mind.

I hope that answers your questions about subscriptions! speak_cool.gif

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
globalgirl
post Aug 23 2010, 06:39 PM
Post #3

Ah yes, finally a definitive answer. Thanks so much Eric - that clears up all the mystery.

So I guess the wee "subscribed" icons are just to remind me/the blogger that those folks deliberately opted to add their email address (and thus presumably want to be notified when I post a new entry) vs. the others that I added manually to my address book (who effectively haven't actually opted "in")

As it's important to me that folks have the choice to opt "in", then I guess the best approach is to start over - delete all email addys but the ones that chose to subscribe, and then send out an email to everyone else that might be interested in following my travels - with a link to the blog and instructions how to subscribe (i.e. click on "Get email updates" and then "Subscribe".) That way I won't have to uncheck any boxes when I opt to notify those in my address book.

btw... I presume there's some mechanism for folks to unsubscribe (perhaps in the email notification note?) And if/when they do - will that automatically delete their email addy from my address book (or leastwise remove the subscribe icon)?

Sorry to be such a pest about this, but I've been on travelpod since '04 and I guess I remember the subscribe thing being (as you say) a tad different.

I guess there's trade-offs with every blessed digital option and I can understand the 1 pic entry annoyance thing. The truth is - as I've watched the site evolve, you've done a truly outstanding job on all the new gizmos - thanks!

(and yes, it seems the ability to subscribe to each blog independently would be a relatively easy and nice option.)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ericlussier
post Aug 24 2010, 12:19 PM
Post #4

Pathfinder

Always glad to help clear things up! We've definitely come a long way since '04!

It's been a while since we revamped the Subscription feature, but I remember getting ridiculously confused by the old system so I started from scratch and simplified the whole thing.

The icon next to the names in the Address Book were added to make sure that our bloggers didn't just go through and deleted email addresses that they didn't recognize.

Yes indeed, at the bottom of every notification email there's an unsubscribe link that, when followed, will allow the user to remove themselves from your Address Book.

Really glad you like the changes we've made! We love making things simpler for our bloggers and their audience.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
globalgirl
post Aug 24 2010, 12:34 PM
Post #5

Thanks again for the swift reply Eric. But just to be clear...

So should they unsubscribe via the email note link - their address will automatically be removed from my address book?

Or... their address will remain, but there will no longer be a bitty subscribed icon next to their address (and I can thus spot it and remove the address myself.)

globalgirl, who's now off to fiddle w/ said address book and send out an email inviting folks to follow my latest adventures (in just 3 days - yikes!) to Egypt (and hopefully Israel if Hamas will kindly cease lobbing rockets into Eliat - geesh!) crying_anim02.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ericlussier
post Aug 24 2010, 12:49 PM
Post #6

Pathfinder

I would just send out your first new entry notification to everyone in your Address Book and in the message say something like "I'm off on another adventure. If you don't want to receive email notifications, just use the unsubscribe link at the bottom of this email."

That way you don't need to do any pruning.

Have a great trip!!! I should have suspected that something was coming up! dance3.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 08:11 PM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.