Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Huaraz, How to change
eporcel
post Oct 30 2008, 10:27 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 254752
Nominate me as a Local Expert

I've noticed that on the site they've mispelt "Huaraz" for Huarez, which is incorrect. Is there any way to get them change it?

Edgard
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Oct 31 2008, 10:39 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

Hello Edgard, we base our city spelling on what most people type in for their city. In this case, more bloggers are spelling it as "Huaraz", not "Huarez"

If you check in Google Maps, it is spelled "Huaraz", so we're sticking to Huaraz.

That said, if you want to label your entry Huarez, go right ahead. You would just have to type it in manually, instead of choosing it from the drop down menu.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Nov 3 2008, 10:55 AM
Post #3

Tripper

Member No.: 2195

The correct spelling is indeed Huaraz, with the accentuation on the final "a". Huarez sounds more like Juarez.

I see the problem. When you enter "Huarez" in the Travelpod search you actually come up with a host of blogs with the misspelled name. If you enter the correct spelling "Huaraz", you get a different set of blogs. I am amazed at how many people have mispelled Huaraz. In this case, if you spell the word correctly, none of the mispelled blogs come up, and you are loosing quite a few blogs with interesting information. Amazingly if you google Huarez, you will find it is not just Travelpod that has this distinction. Even Wikipedia makes this error in one place.

I would imagine that there must be many other destinations in the world that are misspelled and I have no idea how Travelpod or any other web site can address this problem. It comes to mind that perhaps the Huaraz and Huarez sites could be merged, but that would probably involve correcting all the misspelled words throughout the blog, which would be an impossible task.

One thing, there seems to be no other place on earth called "Huarez".

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Nov 3 2008, 03:05 PM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

That's a good question Martin, but we leave all misspellings of placenames (and everything else for that matter).

Our software will suggest the correct spellings of most placenames you type in, but you are never forced to use them. Just like you are never forced to use the spellcheck when you are typing an entry.

Like you say, it's just too monumental a task to attempt to correct everyone's spelling.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
chinaguy
post Nov 18 2008, 10:55 PM
Post #5

Wanderer

Member No.: 255837

i like to this place very much.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
eporcel
post Jan 3 2009, 08:14 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 254752

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Oct 31 2008, 10:39 AM) *

Hello Edgard, we base our city spelling on what most people type in for their city. In this case, more bloggers are spelling it as "Huaraz", not "Huarez"

If you check in Google Maps, it is spelled "Huaraz", so we're sticking to Huaraz.

That said, if you want to label your entry Huarez, go right ahead. You would just have to type it in manually, instead of choosing it from the drop down menu.

You misunderstood (or perhaps I didn't explain well unsure.gif ) what I meant, I was making a point of "Huaraz" being the correct spelling.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jan 5 2009, 02:54 PM
Post #7

Rolling Stone

Ohhhhhhhh, I see what you're saying, sorry. Apart from emailing every blogger individually, nope there is no way to prevent people from manually typing in the wrong placelines.

We provide a drop down menu with what is the most widely accepted spelling, and that's the best we can do at the moment.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2014 - 12:41 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Peru

Abancay Hotels
Aguas Calientes Hotels
Arequipa Hotels
Ayacucho Hotels
Cabanaconde Hotels
Cajamarca Hotels
Chachapoyas Hotels
Chiclayo Hotels
Chivay Hotels
Colca Canyon Hotels
Cusco Hotels
Huacachina Hotels
Huancayo Hotels
Huanchaco Hotels
Huaraz Hotels
Ica Hotels
Ilo Hotels
Iquitos Hotels
Juliaca Hotels
Lima Hotels
Machu Picchu Hotels
Mancora Hotels
Nasca Hotels
Ollantaytambo Hotels
Paracas Hotels
Pisac Hotels
Pisco Hotels
Piura Hotels
Pucallpa Hotels
Puerto Maldonado Hotels
Puno Hotels
Punta Hermosa Hotels
San Lazaro Hotels
Tarapoto Hotels
Tarma Hotels
Trujillo Hotels
Tumbes Hotels
Urubamba Hotels
Yanama Hotels
Yucay Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.