Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Indoor ski resort in Dubai
starlagurl
post Oct 29 2008, 12:40 PM
Post #1

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

I thought I had seen everything, but I was completely exasperated when my boss (lucky aka Luc Levesque) sent me this picture of indoor skiing in (of all places) Dubai. It seems like Iím just absolutely flabbergasted by the massive waste and excessive consumption happening in the United Arab Emirates right now.

I am perpetually amazed.

Where else on earth can you go from literally sweating your face off, to freezing your buns off in a matter of seconds? Only in Dubai, folks.

IPB Image

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
skylab
post Oct 29 2008, 12:59 PM
Post #2

World Traveler

Group: Members
Member No.: 228012
Nominate me as a Local Expert

New Jersey got one in the making too. It's called Meadowlands Xanadu
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meadowlands_Xanadu
It's about 10 minutes away from me. It looks almost done.

--------------------
DJSkylab.com: My blog :)
ArtOfBackpacking.com: Backpacking Independent International Traveler
Facebook
"They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself." -Andy Warhol
"My body has certainly wandered a good deal, but I have an uneasy suspicion that my mind has not wandered enough." -Noel Coward
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Oct 29 2008, 01:00 PM
Post #3

Rolling Stone

Whyyyyyyyyyyyy?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
skylab
post Oct 29 2008, 01:02 PM
Post #4

World Traveler

Member No.: 228012

I think it takes away the purpose of real Skiing. For NJ it's useless because you can drive just north and you got tons of places for real Skiing. I'd rather experience it outside.

--------------------
DJSkylab.com: My blog :)
ArtOfBackpacking.com: Backpacking Independent International Traveler
Facebook
"They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself." -Andy Warhol
"My body has certainly wandered a good deal, but I have an uneasy suspicion that my mind has not wandered enough." -Noel Coward
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Oct 29 2008, 01:03 PM
Post #5

Rolling Stone

No kidding! And it's such a waste too! Building a whole giant building, cooling the building, making the snow, maintaining the snow...

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Oct 30 2008, 12:13 AM
Post #6

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 13336

I read a blog about it. Some dude took his woman for their anniversary. They live in Dubai. Apparently it sucks and the 'ski patrol' suck too and poeple just go totally insane and at mock speed. It sounds lame. If I ever go to Dubai, I will definitelyl not ski there. Infact, I will never ski indoors. That's sacrilegious !

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
introducinlyric
post Oct 30 2008, 12:41 AM
Post #7

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 56605

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Oct 29 2008, 12:40 PM) *

I thought I had seen everything, but I was completely exasperated when my boss (lucky aka Luc Levesque) sent me this picture of indoor skiing in (of all places) Dubai. It seems like Iím just absolutely flabbergasted by the massive waste and excessive consumption happening in the United Arab Emirates right now.

I am perpetually amazed.

Where else on earth can you go from literally sweating your face off, to freezing your buns off in a matter of seconds? Only in Dubai, folks.

this doesnt surprise me especially being in Dubai. Dubai is the place of over the top , beyond limits kinda destination although it looks cool (in both sense of the word)

--------------------
Do You Want The Truth or Something Beautiful?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Oct 30 2008, 09:03 AM
Post #8

Rolling Stone

If I ever went there, I'd probably barf my guts out.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
travelmonster
post Oct 30 2008, 12:32 PM
Post #9

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 101826

Louise, you are priceless laugh.gif

Stop holding back will you and say what you mean laugh.gif

--------------------
In Search Of ...........

"Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment sparkling like a star in our hand -- and melting like a snowflake" - Marie Beynon Ray
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Oct 30 2008, 12:34 PM
Post #10

Rolling Stone

Haaaaaaaaaaahahahaha. Don't tempt me.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
introducinlyric
post Oct 31 2008, 03:00 AM
Post #11

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Oct 30 2008, 12:34 PM) *

Haaaaaaaaaaahahahaha. Don't tempt me.

say it ssssaaaaaaaaayyy IT!!!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Oct 31 2008, 11:17 AM
Post #12

Rolling Stone

Hahahaha, I actually did....but I could go on...

Judging by the image of Dubai that I get over here, it is probably the most disgusting place in the world, if you are looking for consumer excess.

Where else in the world is the gap between the rich and the poor so ridiculously huge.

I don't want to hear anymore about stupid retarded giant buildings going up in this place, but still I perpetuate the pointlessness by posting up these photos and topics.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
darrenstravels
post Nov 1 2008, 01:45 AM
Post #13

Tourist

Member No.: 167016

Dubai is trying to attract every tourist in the world to go there. It's sort of sensible really, since they know the natural resources under their land will eventually dry up.

Duabi is also trying to attract anyone with any sort of money, so they build endless miles of crap that think people will pay for. The Ski Resort was almost completed when I were last there, and it's an add on for a huge shopping centre.

I believe they are also building a Dubai World theme park, with at least one whole section under a huge dome, filled with snow. Houses, shops, restaurants etc will all be in the snow dome.

It's a different world there. The list of over the top 15* hotels, resorts and shopping is endless.

What they really should be concentrating on is public transport. The traffic there is horrific at pretty much any time of day. I've seen Rolls Royces actually drive across pavements and roundabouts to jump a few places in traffic jams.

I should point out though that I used to snowboard indoors in the UK every weekend, until they changed their "extreme" nights to weeknights and I couldn't get there anymore. Why ski indoors? Because Dry Slopes are normally nasty, and we can only go to the Alps so many times before our wallets are empty.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
introducinlyric
post Nov 3 2008, 01:03 AM
Post #14

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Oct 31 2008, 11:17 AM) *

I don't want to hear anymore about stupid retarded giant buildings going up in this place, but still I perpetuate the pointlessness by posting up these photos and topics.

laugh.gif this is my quote of the week ..thankx louise biggrin.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Nov 3 2008, 10:30 AM
Post #15

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(darrenstravels @ Nov 1 2008, 01:45 AM) *

Dubai is trying to attract every tourist in the world to go there. It's sort of sensible really, since they know the natural resources under their land will eventually dry up.

Why ski indoors? Because Dry Slopes are normally nasty, and we can only go to the Alps so many times before our wallets are empty.

Interesting perspective, Darren, thanks. It's a fascinating place, and I'd go there just to see all this stuff up close. Sounds amazing.

As for indoor skiing. I guess I just take it for granted that there are all kinds of ski resorts in Canada, within (at the most) a 1 hour drive away.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
raniroo
post Nov 4 2008, 12:41 AM
Post #16

Sightseer

Member No.: 19411

Everyone is right, Dubai is over the top and has to have the biggest, the best, the longest, the tallest of everything.....that's about the only thing going for it......and I live here!!!!

There is not alot that Dubai can offer for the tourist, a few old buildings, a desert, some diving in parts, but that is it.....they don't even have a rich culture...it is all modernised....

Once you have done the "touristy" things (in a couple of days) there is not alot else to do. So indoor skiing is just another way to entertain the masses...Dubai actually caters for not only the western tourist but middle east/arabian tourist. You will find that alot of Saudi's, Kuwaiti's etc will actually buy a holiday home here (and car, as you can tell when they are completely covered in dust) and they come here for their holidays or weekends....they can relax and be more liberal here than in their own countries....they use Dubai as an entertaining paradise.

Yes Dubai is endeavouring to build a tourism industry based on not alot....and once that oil is finished.......this is what will be left.....

For someone like me, who wants to experience it all, but still feels that it is over excessive is torn between the two....To see the differences between the rich and poor, but there is alot in between too. The excess is starting to wear me down though.....

--------------------
If you really look like your passport photo, you need the holiday!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Nov 4 2008, 10:26 AM
Post #17

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(raniroo @ Nov 4 2008, 12:41 AM) *

You will find that alot of Saudi's, Kuwaiti's etc will actually buy a holiday home here (and car, as you can tell when they are completely covered in dust) and they come here for their holidays or weekends....they can relax and be more liberal here than in their own countries....they use Dubai as an entertaining paradise.

Very interesting... hmmmm... is it like they are ashamed? So they want to hide the westernization from their "normal lives"?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
raniroo
post Nov 4 2008, 11:02 PM
Post #18

Sightseer

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Nov 4 2008, 10:26 AM) *

QUOTE(raniroo @ Nov 4 2008, 12:41 AM) *

You will find that alot of Saudi's, Kuwaiti's etc will actually buy a holiday home here (and car, as you can tell when they are completely covered in dust) and they come here for their holidays or weekends....they can relax and be more liberal here than in their own countries....they use Dubai as an entertaining paradise.

Very interesting... hmmmm... is it like they are ashamed? So they want to hide the westernization from their "normal lives"?

I don't think it them being ashamed at all. It is more likely that here there is more freedom. Woman can drive here (they are not allowed in Saudi), there are movie theatres and restaurants that they can go to (together). I think it comes to just having more freedom. And maybe they do feel more comfortable here than say, in the West, because they can still pray easily, eat Halal meals easily, speak arabic etc.

--------------------

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Nov 5 2008, 09:59 AM
Post #19

Rolling Stone

Oh I see. It's more of a legal and social necessity for people who want to do these things...

Hmmm... it's amazing to me why all of these people don't organize and change things in the place that they live...they just keep leaving in this huge exodus....

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
raniroo
post Jun 14 2009, 04:51 AM
Post #20

Sightseer

Just to add, Ski Dubai is covered by their own insurance if you have an accident (which I was really surprised at because this doesn't occur much in Dubai)...I know this from first hand experience....why?

I had a nasty accident last weekend and my leg is now in plaster for the next 2 weeks! Not broken but some major ligament damage....and I was on the red run......the attendants were excellent and took very good care of me until I was off the slope!

--------------------

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 12:12 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in United Arab Emirates

Abu Dhabi Hotels
Ajman Hotels
Al Ain Hotels
Dibba Hotels
Dubai Hotels
Fujairah Hotels
Hatta Hotels
Jebel Dhanna Hotels
Khorfakkan Hotels
Liwa Hotels
Madinat Zayed Hotels
Mirfa Hotels
Ras Al Khaimah Hotels
Saadiyat Island Hotels
Sharjah Hotels
Sir Bani Yas Island Hotels
Umm Al Quwain Hotels
Yas Island Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.