Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Where in Spain is the most interesting place to visit for history?, TravelPod Question of the Month
whereshegoes
post May 1 2006, 12:12 AM
Post #1

Journeyer

Group: Members
Member No.: 5
Nominate me as a Local Expert

The beautiful country of Spain is heavy with history but where in your opinion is the most interesting place to visit if you are a history buff?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
uncle_davros
post May 1 2006, 12:51 AM
Post #2

Planet Pioneer

Member No.: 226

Depends on what history you want

Roman history, the old capital was Tarragona. There ae loads of old ruins there, and they go all the way towards Madrid. There are also more towards the South near Portugal

The old capital of Toledo is nice and if you like more recent history, Barcelona for the Gaudi buildings.

In Bibao, there is an old swing bridge designed by one of Eiffels apprentices

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Caro!
post May 1 2006, 09:37 PM
Post #3

World Traveler

Member No.: 550

If you are into Art history, Barcelona is the palce to go. The Picasso Museumis Fantastic and the whole architecture of the city is breathtaking!
Caro!

--------------------
Check out my videos and pics!!

The pictures I will proudly show to my offspring

Whatever Lola wants...Lola gets!!!

Happiness is available to anybody, so please help yourself!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
uncle_davros
post May 2 2006, 02:45 AM
Post #4

Planet Pioneer

And Bilbao has the Guggenheim museum, which is great and the building itself is fantastic

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kris
post May 6 2006, 12:02 PM
Post #5

Pathfinder

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 370

the old capital of spain was granada and is full of moor architecture, search alhambra to get a feel of the old muslim side of spain

--------------------
IPB Image
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
uncle_davros
post May 7 2006, 05:35 AM
Post #6

Planet Pioneer

Granada was the old capital in Moorish times. In Spanish times, it was Toledo

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mrjoe (but canīt log in here).
post May 8 2006, 01:40 PM
Post #7

Unregistered

Burgos in Northern Spain is an interesting place.
El Cid used this old city a base during the war with the Moors. You can go and see his sword at the citadel which is quite cool.
+Quote Post
Rosie
post Jun 3 2006, 02:51 AM
Post #8

Unregistered

Granada and Toledo are both great places to visit for the history buff.

On my tour through Spain, Portugal and Morocco I fell in love with Spain. I had read much about the history of Spain so it was good to know something about what I was about to see. but not nearly as enjoyable as reading more when I got home and had seen these places.

Toledo is simply beautiful and is full of historical old buildings. Granada has the tombs of King Ferdinand and Queen Isobella, the very ones who sent Columbus on his way to discover America, to finally drive the Moors out of Spain, to drive the Jews out as well, a ruthless pair but who did much to unite their country and make it strong. Do read their history before you visit Spain, it will make your visit so much more fascinating.

Seville is another simply beautiful city with its' magnificent cathedral and fine homes with flowers, spires, wrought iron gates, lively streets making it a delight. I found that Madrid, although it too has magnificent buildings, was just another very large and busy city and didn't have the charm of the smaller cities.

Salamanca is in the north of Spain, a very old city with ancient buildings housing universities which have been there forever.

If you have a chance to visit Portugal as well, Lisbon and its' surrounding area is very interesting and beautiful. It is the place I would like to go back to some day.

Spain is far more Catholic than Italy. Every church or cathedral we visited had a madonna dressed in beautiful clothing and a wig made of human hair, in fact most madonnas have a whole huge wardrobe of clothing to wear on various holy days, and women in charge of their wardrobe room who change their clothing. The madonna is on display and venerated much more in Spain than is Christ, which was a bit of a surprise to me.

Dinner in Spain is served very late in the evening, in fact Spain's entire time frame is far different than in North America. They dine and party until the wee hours, sleep late, work for a few hours before their long mid-afternoon break of a meal and a siesta during the hottest time of day when shops and banks are also closed, then begin the next part of their day in the late afternoon.

Everywhere we went in Spain there were festivals and parades of the beautiful Spanish people dressed in their finest--especially the women and children. Women wore brightly coloured dresses, with flowers in their well groomed hair, and children were dressed just like adults, girls in colourful dresses and flowers, boys in formal attire complete with bow ties. A lovely sight to behold as they danced and made their way along the streets accompanied by music that just made me want to get up and dance too.

Spanish food is wonderful and tasty. I enjoyed every single meal I had there, especially their breads.

I envy you your trip to Spain and hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I'd go back in a heartbeat, but there is so much else to see I probably never will. Bummer.
+Quote Post
lar4290
post Dec 17 2008, 03:35 AM
Post #9

Wayfarer

Member No.: 115081

I'd have to say Sevilla, Cordoba, and Granada - the three Muslim capitals of Al-Andalus (first Cordoba in the eighth-tenth centuries, then Sevilla, then Granada, from 1248-1497). All have a great combination of Morish and Spanish culture and the uniqueness of the Spanish south!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Dec 17 2008, 04:00 AM
Post #10

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 124

Granada, buenissima!

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
peterandanne
post Jan 31 2009, 12:59 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 268164

GANDIA & the surrounding areas - Last year we went twice to Gandia, once when the sun was not too hot and the next time at the end of June which was just a nice temperature. There are cheap flights by Ryanair, Jet2.com or Easyjet.

What can you do in Gandia.

First of all it has absolutely fabulous beaches, 17 to be precise, some are Blue Flag which means they are manned by people from the Red Cross, there are lots of beach sport facilities, childrens playgrounds etc. etc. Most of the beaches are backed by promenades that have bars and cafes (if there are no beach bars) Gandia has lots of history, so when you tire of the beach you can hit the city which is quite small. The nightclubs tends to be on the outskirts around the beach area but the city is famous for the Borgia family and you can visit the palace which is exquisite. There is a museum, an art gallery etc. The food is excellent and tends to be either Spanish or Chinese (eat all you can Chinese for 7.50€) there are plenty of tapas bars and it was here that they invented fiduea which is a kind of paella only its made with angel hair or thin spagetti - its just as delicious as paella.

There's lots of history: Xativa a fantastic castle perched on three hillsides and was the home to Hannibal and one of the Borgias that became a Pope (I think there are about 27 Arab castles in the immediate area but most are in ruin but if you have the energy you can have great views along the coast and countryside. Bocairent which is a medieval town: but there are lots of little interesting historical towns hidden in the hinterland if you have transport to go there. The second week in March is the Fallas (google it) both in Gandia and Valencia (which is only 40 minutes on the train from Gandia) Gandia is also quite exciting because it truly is Spanish and by that I mean most people speak Spanish (or Valenciano) so although you truly do get to mix with the locals, especially in the evening when you can stoll down the paseo where you can mix with the cafe culture.

We had a wonderful time staying in a self contained apartment in the historic area of Palma de Gandia in an old Valencian townhouse where no-one spoke Spanish but we got by with sign language and a bit of Spanish. Everyone was very kind and we were ony 5kms from Gandia.

The people who have the accommodation are also starting self-guided walks this year and we intend to go back and see a bit more of the hinterland when its not too warm. The place where we stayed is in the historical part of the town so there are lots of winding lanes and quaint passageways. Very atmospheric at night. If anyone is interested the web site is valenciaholiday. Who would have thought its only 40 minutes to Benidorm and what a difference........
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
blindhead
post Mar 23 2009, 05:18 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 273557

I live in Andalucia, the south of spain, where is Granada, Sevilla, Cordoba, and many other interesting cities,towns and villages. You can visit the important cities but is also more impresive to visit small villages with big castles and very kind people. You can check www.raar.es where you can find a lot of interesting information, like routes, informacion about traditional culture and more.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
cjb08
post Jan 2 2010, 10:27 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 623301

QUOTE(whereshegoes @ May 1 2006, 12:12 AM) *

The beautiful country of Spain is heavy with history but where in your opinion is the most interesting place to visit if you are a history buff?

Without a doubt the Alhambra Palace. It's the number one visitor attraction in Spain and inderstandably so. You must book in advance because they restrict visitor numbers daily, which you will find useful when you visit.

Allow at least one full day to see the whole site. Enjoy.

CJ

http://www.spanish-apartment.com
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 12:00 PM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.