Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Places in India, Places
irmaferran
post Oct 27 2008, 04:17 AM
Post #1

Wanderer

Group: Members
Member No.: 110715
Nominate me as a Local Expert

I am going to India in December for nearly a month.
I plan to visit Delhi, Agra, Jaipur, Ajmer, Pushkar, Varanasi, and then from Varanasi take the night train to India (the Doon Express), spend a few days in Calcutta and then go to Digha.
Does this sound like a good schedule? Is the Varanasi-Calcutta train safe for a female lone traveller? I plan to take 2AC, sounds that OK? then in Digha I plan to spend quite a few days, is it worth it or is it too quiet? Are the beaches nice? are there other places around Digha worth a visit?
Many thanks.
Irma
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mosarof
post Oct 27 2008, 04:48 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 188573

QUOTE(irmaferran @ Oct 27 2008, 04:17 AM) *

I plan to visit Delhi, Agra, Jaipur, Ajmer, Pushkar, Varanasi, and then from Varanasi take the night train to India (the Doon Express), spend a few days in Calcutta and then go to Digha.
Does this sound like a good schedule? Is the Varanasi-Calcutta train safe for a female lone traveller? I plan to take 2AC, sounds that OK? then in Digha I plan to spend quite a few days, is it worth it or is it too quiet? Are the beaches nice? are there other places around Digha worth a visit?
Many thanks.
Irma

Bangladesh is a South-Asian country bounded by India from north, east and west and by the Bay of Bengal and Mayanmer from the south and south-east. Bangladesh emerged as a country in 1971 following a 9 months long war of liberation against Pakistani rule. This area was under Muslim rule for five and a half centuries and passed into British rule in 1757. During the British rule it was a part of the British Indian Province of Bengal and Assam . In August 1947 it gained independence from the British rule along with the rest of India and formed a part of Pakistan which was known as East Pakistan .

Climate and seasons: The climate of Bangladesh is subtropical and tropical with temperatures ranging from an average daytime low of 21C in the cold season to a top of 35C in the hot season. Three-quarters of the annual rainfall occurs between June and September. The humidity remains high all year round. Bangladesh has three main seasons: the monsoon or wet season from late May to early October; the cold season from mid-October to the end of February; and the hot season from mid-March to mid-May. There are two cyclone seasons May to June and October to November. Although there are only three observable seasons in Bangladesh, the country commonly refers to six : Basanto (Spring) February to April, Grishma (Summer) April to June, Barsha (Rainy) June to August, Sharat (Autumn) August to October, Hemanto (Misty) October to December and Sheet (Winter) December to February.

Cloth: Tropical dress in summer and light woolen dress in winter are advisable.

Food: Rice is main and popular dishes mainly include rice, pulse, vegetables and fishes and meat. Spring Kabab, Kofta (meat balls) and biryanis (meat mixed with rice) of all kinds and available. In Dhaka you can also find excellent Indian, Thai, Chinese and Korean restaurants.

Fruits: Mangoes, Lichies, Bananas, Papayas, Jackfruits, Watermelons, Pineapples, Coconuts, Oranges and Guavas etc.

Local Transport: Buses, taxis, auto rickshaws are available in major towns. There are thousands of cycle rickshaws throughout the country which can be hired for short distance traveled. Towns are linked by railways and roadways. Intercity trains which run between major cities are fairly comfortable. There are also express coach services between towns. Travel costs are low compared to international standard.

People: Most of the populations are bengalies. There are many small tribal groups with their own languages and cultures. Most of these groups live in border areas.

Language: The state language and mother tongue is Bangla. English is widely spoken and understood. Now-a-days some young people are learning other languages like French, German, Spanish, and Japanese etc. for utilizing in their professional fields.

Shopping: Store hours vary, but generally shops open 9am-8pm Saturday to Thursday. Bazaars and street stalls are abundant. Bargaining is common.

Tipping: Tipping is common in hotels and restaurants. So leave 5% to 10% of the bill of the service is good.

Religion: Bangladesh is a land of religious freedom, harmony and tolerance. People of all castes and creeds live here in perfect harmony. The percentage distribution of population to religions is as follows: Muslim 88%, Hindus 10%, Christians, Buddhists and others 2%. Festivals: The biggest Muslim religious festivals are the Eid-Ul-Fitar (end of the fasting month of Ramadhan). Eid-Ul-Azha, Muharram and Miladunnabi (birth day of the Prophet). Eidely celebrated festivals for other religious communities are the Durga Puja for the Hindus, Christmas for the Christian and Buddha Purnima for the Buddhists. Bangla New Year's Day (Pahela Baishakh), Shahid Dibas (Language Martyrs Day), Independence Day (March 26) and Victory Day (December 16) are celebrated nation-wide.

Entertainment: Theatre: Dramas are staged frequently at Dhaka . Popular theatre groups are Theatre (Natak Sarani), Nagarik, Dhaka Theatre, Aranyak, Padatik etc.

Currency: Taka (Tk.) is the unit of currency. Notes of 2, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 500 taka and coins of taka 1, 2, 5 are in circulation. US$ 1= Taka 60.00 (approx.)

Banking hours: 9:00 am to 3:00 Saturdays to Wednesday s and 9:00 am to 2:00 pm on Thursday and closed on Fridays.

Working Hours: 9:00 am to 4:00 pm Saturdays to Wednesday s and 9:00 am to 2:00 pm on Friday closed..

Thanks
Mosarrof
mhbangali@gmail.com
MSN: mosarof@live.com
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
irmaferran
post Oct 27 2008, 05:21 AM
Post #3

Wanderer

Member No.: 110715

Many thanks for all the info but I'm not planning to get to Bangladesh but to stay in India, anyway many thanks.
Irma

QUOTE(mosarof @ Oct 27 2008, 04:48 AM) *

Many thanks.
Irma

Bangladesh is a South-Asian country bounded by India from north, east and west and by the Bay of Bengal and Mayanmer from the south and south-east. Bangladesh emerged as a country in 1971 following a 9 months long war of liberation against Pakistani rule. This area was under Muslim rule for five and a half centuries and passed into British rule in 1757. During the British rule it was a part of the British Indian Province of Bengal and Assam . In August 1947 it gained independence from the British rule along with the rest of India and formed a part of Pakistan which was known as East Pakistan .

Climate and seasons: The climate of Bangladesh is subtropical and tropical with temperatures ranging from an average daytime low of 21C in the cold season to a top of 35C in the hot season. Three-quarters of the annual rainfall occurs between June and September. The humidity remains high all year round. Bangladesh has three main seasons: the monsoon or wet season from late May to early October; the cold season from mid-October to the end of February; and the hot season from mid-March to mid-May. There are two cyclone seasons May to June and October to November. Although there are only three observable seasons in Bangladesh, the country commonly refers to six : Basanto (Spring) February to April, Grishma (Summer) April to June, Barsha (Rainy) June to August, Sharat (Autumn) August to October, Hemanto (Misty) October to December and Sheet (Winter) December to February.

Food: Rice is main and popular dishes mainly include rice, pulse, vegetables and fishes and meat. Spring Kabab, Kofta (meat balls) and biryanis (meat mixed with rice) of all kinds and available. In Dhaka you can also find excellent Indian, Thai, Chinese and Korean restaurants.

Fruits: Mangoes, Lichies, Bananas, Papayas, Jackfruits, Watermelons, Pineapples, Coconuts, Oranges and Guavas etc.

Local Transport: Buses, taxis, auto rickshaws are available in major towns. There are thousands of cycle rickshaws throughout the country which can be hired for short distance traveled. Towns are linked by railways and roadways. Intercity trains which run between major cities are fairly comfortable. There are also express coach services between towns. Travel costs are low compared to international standard.

People: Most of the populations are bengalies. There are many small tribal groups with their own languages and cultures. Most of these groups live in border areas.

Language: The state language and mother tongue is Bangla. English is widely spoken and understood. Now-a-days some young people are learning other languages like French, German, Spanish, and Japanese etc. for utilizing in their professional fields.

Shopping: Store hours vary, but generally shops open 9am-8pm Saturday to Thursday. Bazaars and street stalls are abundant. Bargaining is common.

Tipping: Tipping is common in hotels and restaurants. So leave 5% to 10% of the bill of the service is good.

Religion: Bangladesh is a land of religious freedom, harmony and tolerance. People of all castes and creeds live here in perfect harmony. The percentage distribution of population to religions is as follows: Muslim 88%, Hindus 10%, Christians, Buddhists and others 2%. Festivals: The biggest Muslim religious festivals are the Eid-Ul-Fitar (end of the fasting month of Ramadhan). Eid-Ul-Azha, Muharram and Miladunnabi (birth day of the Prophet). Eidely celebrated festivals for other religious communities are the Durga Puja for the Hindus, Christmas for the Christian and Buddha Purnima for the Buddhists. Bangla New Year's Day (Pahela Baishakh), Shahid Dibas (Language Martyrs Day), Independence Day (March 26) and Victory Day (December 16) are celebrated nation-wide.

Entertainment: Theatre: Dramas are staged frequently at Dhaka . Popular theatre groups are Theatre (Natak Sarani), Nagarik, Dhaka Theatre, Aranyak, Padatik etc.

Currency: Taka (Tk.) is the unit of currency. Notes of 2, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 500 taka and coins of taka 1, 2, 5 are in circulation. US$ 1= Taka 60.00 (approx.)

Banking hours: 9:00 am to 3:00 Saturdays to Wednesday s and 9:00 am to 2:00 pm on Thursday and closed on Fridays.

Working Hours: 9:00 am to 4:00 pm Saturdays to Wednesday s and 9:00 am to 2:00 pm on Friday closed..

Thanks
Mosarrof
mhbangali@gmail.com

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
riverblue
post Oct 27 2008, 06:20 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 247600

QUOTE(irmaferran @ Oct 27 2008, 05:21 AM) *

Many thanks for all the info but I'm not planning to get to Bangladesh but to stay in India, anyway many thanks.
Irma

Many thanks.
Irma

Thanks
Mosarrof
mhbangali@gmail.com

Dear Erma,

It safe in 2AC train not to worry... People travelling in 2Ac will be high educated profiles..They will be gentle to our esteemd guests in the country.

hey let me know if u have any plan to visit South India.. i live here in Kerala A green place in south.U can explore beaches,rivers,mountains... and ashrams also...

be free to contact me.... me too like travelling a lot and sharing experiences with each other.
let me hear u r side..

regards,
riverblue

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
riverblue
post Oct 27 2008, 06:22 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 247600

QUOTE(irmaferran @ Oct 27 2008, 05:21 AM) *

Irma

Many thanks.
Irma

Thanks
Mosarrof
mhbangali@gmail.com

Dear Erma,

It safe in 2AC train not to worry... People travelling in 2Ac will be high educated profiles..They will be gentle to our esteemd guests in the country.

hey let me know if u have any plan to visit South India.. i live here in Kerala A green place in south.U can explore beaches,rivers,mountains... and ashrams also...

be free to contact me.... me too like travelling a lot and sharing experiences with each other.
let me hear u r side..

regards,
riverblue

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 09:35 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in India

Agra Hotels
Ahmedabad Hotels
Alappuzha Hotels
Amritsar Hotels
Bangalore Hotels
Bardez Hotels
Bhubaneswar Hotels
Calangute Hotels
Candolim Hotels
Chennai (Madras) Hotels
Darjeeling Hotels
Gangtok Hotels
Goa Hotels
Gurgaon Hotels
Haridwar Hotels
Hyderabad Hotels
Indore Hotels
Jaipur Hotels
Jaisalmer Hotels
Jodhpur Hotels
Kochi Hotels
Kodaikanal Hotels
Kolkata (Calcutta) Hotels
Kovalam Hotels
Manali Hotels
Mumbai (Bombay) Hotels
Munnar Hotels
Mussoorie Hotels
Mysore Hotels
Nainital Hotels
New Delhi Hotels
Ootacamund Hotels
Pondicherry Hotels
Pune Hotels
Salcette Hotels
Shimla Hotels
Srinagar Hotels
Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum) Hotels
Udaipur Hotels
Varanasi Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.