Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Teaching English in Japan, Help
seangove
post Aug 9 2010, 07:14 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 689251

I'm considering teaching English in Japan for 1 year. If I got the job I would be placed in a smaller community.

I'm looking for tips on:

-the language barrier ( I speak no Japanese)
-the culture shock
-living conditions
-what types of food they don't have the Western society commonly has
-social norms within the school setting
-opportunity to travel the country despite work commitments
-risks for a woman living there
-visa info
-finding an apartment with a language barrier
-setting up internet etc.
-international calling
-income tax
-setting up a bank account
-handling your banking from home while in Japan
-essential items to bring that I may not be able to purchase in Japan

-and any other suggestions you may have

Please still reply even if you've taught English in a larger city.

Thanks!
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
xerius
post Aug 11 2010, 12:00 PM
Post #2

Drifter

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 9417

This may not be the best site for teaching-related questions overall (the Japan forum on Dave's ESL Cafe is a better bet), but I can answer some of it based on my experience. If you're going to be in a small town or rural area, I wouldn't count on being able to use much English. If you're in one of the more backwater prefectures (Tottori, Saga, Yamagata), you probably won't be able to use any at all. As for culture shock, it really depends on the person - I dealt with fairly little, but I've known a couple people that took off within a month or two of arriving because they couldn't handle it. I will say that rural life in Japan will involve a lot more than being based in one of the big urban centers like Tokyo, Osaka or Nagoya.

It's hard to comment on living conditions without knowing where you're going to be. Be prepared for smaller portions at restaurants. Don't count on being able to find clothes that fit well if you're at all larger. That especially goes for shoes. Food usually isn't an issue if you're open-minded. But then again, if you're in a really small city far away from the big metropolises, I wouldn't expect anything at all cosmopolitan. On the other side, Western and other world cuisine (well, not anything too exotic) is pretty easy to come by in the bigger cities.

Opportunities to travel obviously depend on your job situation. Most ALTs get significant time off in the summer and early spring. Those periods conveniently coincide with the jūhachi kippu discount JR pass, which allows you cheap travel on any non-express JR train. Many people use those to get around the country affordably (if slowly).

School settings will be pretty regimented and if you're in ALT, be ready to basically act as a human tape recorder. There are exceptions to that sort of work, but in general ALTs don't have much control over lesson planning or actual curriculum. Students will be obedient, if lethargic at times. Unless you're in a more prestigious high school, kids probably won't know or even be able to learn much English, so keep expectations modest. English learning is by and large only for test purposes (college entrance exams), so conversational ability is very much on the back burner.

A lot of the remaining questions I can't answer without knowing your exact destination and work situation. I will say though that if you don't get sponsored for a visa and job before arriving in the country, you're going to have a difficult time putting it all together in a small town. Tokyo and Osaka can be maddeningly crowded, but there's a good reason why most foreigners end up living and working there. And tracking down and arranging an apartment will be next to impossible on your own in a small city, as real estate agencies most likely won't speak English and you won't be able to get into a rental without a guarantor. If you manage to get on the JET program, this all will be taken care of painlessly, and rural or small town placements are quite common there (especially if you request them).

Last, regarding being a woman in Japan, the country is overall very safe, but there are certain risks for females here that males don't have. I personally go anywhere I like in the cities at any time, but I don't think I would if I were a woman. There's a significant amount of rape and sexual assault in the country, and much of it goes unreported. That said, the big cities are far worse than the countryside, so in a small town the risk is probably pretty low. Overall, the most common thing is stuff like groping or perverts swiping lingerie hung out to dry, but it'd be a lie to say that Japan is a problem-free zone for women.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
seangove
post Aug 29 2010, 09:41 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 689251

Thanks for all the great information!!

Daves ESL Cafe helps heaps as well!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 02:49 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Japan

Atami Hotels
Beppu Hotels
Chino Hotels
Chiyoda Hotels
Chuo Hotels
Fukuoka Hotels
Hakodate Hotels
Hakone Hotels
Hakuba-mura Hotels
Hiroshima Hotels
Hokuto Hotels
Ito Hotels
Izu Hotels
Kanazawa Hotels
Kobe Hotels
Kumamoto Hotels
Kyoto Hotels
Matsumoto Hotels
Minamiuonuma Hotels
Minato Hotels
Myoko Hotels
Nagano Hotels
Nagasaki Hotels
Nagoya Hotels
Naha Hotels
Narita Hotels
Nasu-machi Hotels
Niigata Hotels
Nikko Hotels
Osaka Hotels
Sapporo Hotels
Sendai Hotels
Shimoda Hotels
Shinjuku Hotels
Taito Hotels
Takayama Hotels
Toba Hotels
Tokyo Hotels
Ueda Hotels
Yokohama Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.