Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help find a relative in Jordan, looking for advise or where to begin my search
amandal
post Aug 5 2010, 01:12 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1208441
Nominate me as a Local Expert

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice or where i can begin to search for some missing family members. I'm American born but my father whom I never met is Jordanian. He died in Jordan before my birth and had other children. My mother doesn't have much information for me to use for my search, and I'm wondering if anyone as any advise on a starting point for me. I honestly only have his name to go on. But I would like to find a way to get in contact with aunts, uncles, or my other siblings who may not even know about my existence. Any resources or advise will be helpful. Thanks
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
travelmonster
post Aug 5 2010, 01:40 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 101826

Wow, quite a task.

I researched my family tree once, in England every birth, death and marriage is recorded and the records are stored in a central place.

I don't know if that happens in Jordan, but maybe you could start by trying to find out if those kind of records are kept there and if the public can get access to them.

You don't say if he was married to your mother, but if he was, that would be the place to start if they do keep records. I can only say about the English system, but by finding their marriage you can find who his parents were and by finding that you can look for births registered under their names - giving you aunts and uncles.

It's a real long shot and takes a lot of time, even if those kind of records exist in Jordan.

I really wish you luck with it.

--------------------
In Search Of ...........

"Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment sparkling like a star in our hand -- and melting like a snowflake" - Marie Beynon Ray
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
amandal
post Aug 7 2010, 09:55 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(travelmonster @ Aug 5 2010, 02:40 PM) *

Wow, quite a task.

I researched my family tree once, in England every birth, death and marriage is recorded and the records are stored in a central place.

I don't know if that happens in Jordan, but maybe you could start by trying to find out if those kind of records are kept there and if the public can get access to them.

You don't say if he was married to your mother, but if he was, that would be the place to start if they do keep records. I can only say about the English system, but by finding their marriage you can find who his parents were and by finding that you can look for births registered under their names - giving you aunts and uncles.

It's a real long shot and takes a lot of time, even if those kind of records exist in Jordan.

I really wish you luck with it.

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
amandal
post Aug 7 2010, 09:58 AM
Post #4

thank you for the advice. My parents were not married, so there wont be a marriage certificate. I was hoping i might be able to find a death certificate because i have reason to believe my father may be deceased. I have hoped that in finding a death certificate that i may be able to find siblings and such. It's difficult to find a central office in Jordan, but i I'll keep at it. Thank you
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2014 - 08:28 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Jordan

Ajlun Hotels
Amman Hotels
Aqaba Hotels
Azraq Hotels
Dana Hotels
Dead Sea Region Hotels
Irbid Hotels
Jerash Hotels
Karak Hotels
Ma'in Hotels
Madaba Hotels
Shoubak Hotels
Sweimah Hotels
Tabaqat Fahl Hotels
Wadi Musa Hotels
Wadi Rum Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.